How to make a good cup of coffee

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:31 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Jon Nolan wrote: - dont freeze the beans. it harms the oils in the coffee, tastes worse.
really? do you keep them in the fridge or at room temp?
room temperature, in an airtight container. basically keep 'em outta the light, away from heat and moisture. i grabbed a little pamphlet thing from the local roaster a few years back. the no freezing thing was in there, along with the burr grinder etc.

here's a blurb on the freezing thing. though they say dont freeze it after you've *opened* it, but i dont know. im no expert. my coffee tastes yummy though!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Lesson #2: Using vintage tech to warm up your coffee-making

So one of these days you're going to be faced with one of these:
Or even more intimidating, one of those big coffee urns from the church basement.

Well, don't worry - this is vintage tech, basically an electrified version of the fire-based original percolators. How it works is that the bottom of the inside gets hot... actually there's a very small heating area that gets really hot. Any water that gets close turns into boiling water if not steam very quickly. There just so happens to be a tube running from that area up to the very top of the pot, so the water "percolates" (is violently pushed by steam) up the tube to the top, where it spills over the coffee grounds and eventually drips back into the pot.

Here are the bits you'll have to deal with:
It's important to have all those parts! The tube and the basket are obvious enough, but the spreader bit on top is needed to keep the hot water dripping evenly onto the grounds. Don't start brewing until you've found all those bits.

Some percolators do use a filter, either a flat disc of paper with a hole punched in the middle, or a more elaborate origami type of sheet that folds over the top of the grounds. The big coffee urns generally don't use a filter; they have tiny precision holes to keep the grounds from getting out of the basket.

Speaking of tiny holes and grounds, percolators generally use a coarser grind of coffee than the usual drip coffee maker. Something to bear in mind if you're doing the grinding, or at the store sometimes you'll see the pre-ground cans labelled according to the grind.

So to actually use the beast, fill up the bottom with water. If there's a sight-glass on the side, use that. Otherwise maybe experiment with the tube & basket, since the main goal is to keep the basket above the water level in the pot. Once you've got the water sorted, put in the tube and basket and then load in the grounds. Top it off with the strainer and top, and then (and only then!) plug it in. You don't want to be around a half-assembled percolator that's been plugged in, because boiling water will come shooting out.

Once the percolator gets going, let it go. If you've got the kind with the cool hollow glass knob, you'll get to see the hot water bubbling up. When that stops happening then the coffee is done. You may hear a quiet click a few seconds before that, as the main heater switches off. Whatever you do, don't take the top off to peek at the process - see the preceding chapter about boiling water shooting out.

So that's how to work a vintage coffee maker. The taste is a bit different, and some old-timers like it that way. If you do country or blues sessions maybe have a percolator around (and in view) just as a social experiment. If you do that, make sure you have a working percolator with filters in case somebody calls your bluff.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm

i rock the percolator here every day!

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:47 pm

Lesson #3: Looking like a Euro hipster when you brew

Since a number of people suggested it, here's the classic French coffee press:

The theory is simple enough:
Warm up with a splash of boiling water, then empty. Dump in a bunch of hot water and coffee, let steep, and then push down on the plunger to filter out the grounds. Like a fifth-dimensional version of the George Foreman Grill, what comes out is tasty coffee.

Fine points:
Watch how the coffee floats - when it all at once does something like drop to the bottom then the coffee is probably done.

Advantages:
1) Small batches, fresher coffee
2) Hot water and coffee mingle intimately, not in passing like legislators in an airport bathroom.
3) You can make really strong coffee, or really weak coffee, just by watching as it darkens in color.

Disadvantages:
1) The apparatus is delicate, keep extra glasses in stock and be very careful when washing
2) It's a little messy to clean out
3) They're hard to get onto the plane with you, and lighting a fire to boil water is usually not allowed in coach class

Side note:
These can be used to make great tea, too. Really strong tea... I used to make Earl Grey tea that had more caffeine than most people's strong coffee.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:08 pm

Lesson #4: What to do when disaster strikes!

Of course all the book-knowledge in the world and even a stint behind the piercings at your local Starbucks is only good until the unthinkable happens: the machine breaks. What will you do, hot-shot? Pop quiz, hot water is coming out the bottom and the drip coffee maker is making a "chuga-chuga" sort of noise?

Well, here's where we talk about the basic theory and what can go wrong.

Drip coffee makers, aka "plastic barista":
Theory is fairly simple. The hot plate in the bottom has a coil of tubing hidden inside, with one end connected to the cold water tank and the other going up over the top of the filter basket. Not much to go wrong here... except that there's a rubber hose connecting to the metal heating coil on both ends, and that can slip off. That's where the leaks come from, or a leaky hose. Hardcore addicts will keep a bit of hose handy (check your local big hardware store for emergency replacement hose, or maybe a nearby RV center) and maybe some small radiator hose clamps.
The other thing that can go wrong is the usually cheap power switch and wiring. Don't think you need to know how to solder and trouble shoot basic electrical circuits? Fix the coffee machine at 2:00 AM Sunday morning and you'll get a month-long reprieve from the nagging about your hygiene problems. For the wiring, the simplest approach is the most effective: Totally bypass the switch and/or any electronics, go right from the power cord to the coil. Make sure you leave a note about unplugging after the pot empties.

Percolator:
These babies are hard to kill. They don't have the usual plastic switch and crappy electronics of the drip coffee maker, so the only part that's vulnerable is the thermostat. Drip coffee makers don't usually have a thermostat, which explains why drip coffee makers tend to cook-off the coffee sooner than a percolator. In the percolator, the main heater is only on for the brewing cycle, then it switches off leaving only the warming coil. So if the pot slowly warms up but won't brew, it's probably the thermostat. Flip over the pot, open up the bottom, and see what's what. This stuff is usually right out in the open and easy to troubleshoot.

Missing power cords:
Yes, it happens. Percolators use those detachable cords, some models of which happen to also be the same size as the one used by the U47 power supply. If you can't find it, go looking at recently acquired gear to see if somebody "borrowed" it. "Borrow" it back, and maybe throw them a "kiss" if they don't want to give it up without a fight.

Out of filters:
No panic, hopefully you've still got paper towels. A single thickness of a decent quality paper towel will work just fine, aside from the risk of it sliding down into the basket when wet. You can usually catch the edges of the paper in gap between the top of the basket and the parts above to prevent that.

No coffee maker at all, or you couldn't get the broken one working:
Welcome back to the cattle drive, boys! It's time to make coffee cowboy style. This means a pot however you can get it hot enough and grounds in that. If you've got eggs handy, an eggshell (minus the contents) is often used to "settle" the grounds through some sort of chemical reaction. But either way, you're probably going to have a bit of crunchy stuff in the bottom of your cup. Maybe there's a tea strainer handy to get that? Maybe you could cut up some tea bags to MacGyver a filter?

Finally, if you're a real fanatic you'll take the next free hour to wander about the immediate neighborhood. Find all the places that sell coffee (including the gas station) and write down their hours.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 pm

you are "in fire" as my american slang-challenged girlfriend would say.

i just made a pot of absolutely lethal blackness. cheers.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Jon,
you are doing good.

make sure to pour out the top of your boiling water. It can singe your beans.

wet the beans and let them 'bloom' for one minute then pour the water counter clockwise.

plunge after 3 minutes.

conical burr grinder is the most important part of the rig

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Yeah, too bad I had to give up on the caffeine. Even decaf bothered me after a while.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:38 pm

those posts weren't fueled by caffeine? good god man.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:+ how-ever-many on the french press.

i don't drink alcohol anymore, so, coffee is kinda where i nerd out like home brewers nerd out on beer. that said, i wont turn my nose up on an offered cup. but i'm set up at home when i want to snob out.

- fresh whole bean coffee, roasted by a local joint. African coffees rule.
- dont freeze the beans. it harms the oils in the coffee, tastes worse.
- burr grinder, not one of those spinning jobbies. "spinners" can ruin taste too.
- 2 tbs. coarse ground coffee for each 6 oz. hot water.
- brew fo' 5 minutes. plunge.
- yum.

i guess i'm a coffee nut.
Love the French Press for taste, but a pain in the ass to clean.
My actual favorite cup of coffee is made with one of these:
Easy to keep clean, which I believe is the secret to good coffee regardless of method.
A huge +1 on the burr grinder. We have a very expensive espresso machine and without the burr grinder its basically worthless.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm

Scodiddly,

Everything you just posted should absolutely be an article in next month's issue. The official TO guide to making coffee.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i just made a pot of absolutely lethal blackness. cheers.
that is fucking metal.

[<|>]

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Build your studio down the street from http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Hey Hey!

What about Turkish style, with an Ibrik?

My wife prefers it that way, and I'll admit it's nice once in awhile.

...But I'll let Scodiddly write up the lesson as he's doing so amazingly well.

Does anyone else have trouble with the story that he doesn't drink coffee?

Oh! And we should get Walter Sear's input. He's famous for very particular rules. He paid a prestigious chef $100 when he was first starting out to teach him the proper way.

Archmart

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:24 am

lancebug wrote: Love the French Press for taste, but a pain in the ass to clean.
Do you mean the individual parts or just getting out the used grinds without washing them down the sink (bad for your garbage disposal)?

After using my French Press, I take a small hand-held colander/strainer and place a cotton drip coffee machine filter in it. Run a bit of water in in the Press to loosen up the grinds, swirl a bit, then pour into the filter/colander. Place the colander over the drain of the sink, and let the water drip through. Once the water has all been filtered through you can dump it all into the trash without making a huge, wet mess. Or you can dump it into your composter (filter and all) if you've got one.

Though lately I've been drinking espresso from our machine (a freebie!). Get the beans from a local roaster- it is SO much better fresh roasted.

I kinda like Trader Joe's "Bay Blend" for drip coffee, or Cafe Du Monde from New Orleans for something different (coffee and chicory).

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:54 am

Archmart wrote:Does anyone else have trouble with the story that he doesn't drink coffee?
Used to drink coffee... gave it up a couple years ago because the side effects were getting too annoying.

Actually I was never a coffee freak. I'm an engineer and a cook, and I'm fascinated by kitchen gadgets.

Coffee grounds in the trash is no big deal - just use some of the stuff from your shredder in the bottom of each trash can. Better security that way, too.

Or even better, compost those coffee grounds.