Non-"monitor" monitors?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Non-"monitor" monitors?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:36 pm

takeout wrote:Those of you who've looked outside the "studio monitor!!11~!" manufacturers for your speaker needs:

- How does one pick through all the information on all the brands to even select potential candidates? Is there a good spot from which to start? I checked out Audiogon, but you have to kinda already know what you like and what each brand is known for to even use that site.

- What did you go with and why? I have a small control room in my basement (13' x 13', although the back "wall" of that space is open to the rest). Figure on a 5'-6' triangle for placement/listening position.

- Do you employ a sub?

"Monitor" monitors get a lot of discussion here; lay it on me regarding some alternative options.
Try the ProAc 100s. NOT the new "studio 100s" the old ones.

And use a good amplifier.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:53 pm

The first "monitors" I used were some Infinity Reference ones from the eighties I had hooked up to a stereo. I really liked them. They ran through an Onkyo A10 Integrated amp from the same or earlier era.
I have KRK passive 6" now which are bass reflex type and they have a little boost/mud in the 250-300 range which I don't like. It's probably due to my small room. If I cut there then when played back elsewhere it's bright.
I've experimented with lots of speakers and it seems like no matter what I use I have to make adjustments in order to get the translation right. This is also due to my lousy room I think.
I just got some Klipsch home theatre speakers with a 8" a 6" and tweeter. Got them at Salvation Army for $75.00.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:18 pm

I remember going hi-fi shopping with my dad when I was five or six. We heard the Thiel CS 3.6 in a shop in manhattan. too expensive. the best in the shop by far, for sure. Putting them next to anything else would prove the competition in every price range to be a joke, revealing layers of the music the other speakers didn't even hint existed.

Fast forward about 13 years later and I finally own a pair. :D The only speaker I trust and can reliably mix on.

I sing their praises in every monitor thread. :)
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 pm

linus wrote:B&W Matrix 805s... But like all other things, some people find them too bright.
Really? Compared to what? I'd say almost exactly the opposite, which really makes Joel's post completely accurate.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:43 am

xusr wrote:This is precisely the thread that I almost just started...

I'm in sort of a weird place. A recent grad, I worked in the school of music's recording studio all four years and got pretty comfortable with the Focal Twin6 Be's. My current home setup leaves a lot to be desired (especially when I remember the focals...) and am really wanting to upgrade, but I'm not certain of where to start. The speakers/monitors will work double-duty as both monitors and main speakers. I'm starting grad school next year, so money is pretty tight (read=450 tops).

Don't you love where this is going? :roll:

I just thought I'd throw out a couple of options and see what people think:

#1. Get a pair of cheap studio monitors.

#2. Get a used NAD receiver and a pair of Axiom m3Ti's, Paradigm Minis, or (hmm...) Infinity 162s.

#3. I just heard about Audioengine (from Stereophile) and they look pretty decent...anyone have any input on these?

I know that I'm not going to get *great* sound for 400-450, but I want to get the best I can. Any thoughts would be great!
I say door #2. But I am partial to the hi-fi thing as I mentioned earlier. Which NAD receiver is it? I've heard the audioengines, they're not bad. They seemed alright. The bass was decent, though the mids were lacking a little. Go check them out, they're starting to get popular I'm sure a few hi-fi shops will have them now.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:07 am

woah! don't put axiom m3s in the same category as the regular paradigm series.

their m22ti and paradigm's studio 20 are nearly identical.. if NOT identical, just a bump in the mid bass of the studio 20 sets them apart. and the axiom is half the price!

the espirit paradigm series are toys compared to the axiom line. they're good, but you get what I'd expect from someone who has dealer/retail markup.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:13 am

stereophile is kind of like pro wrestling. you can pit this against that for years and years. people will watch because it's entertaining but in the end, it's still make believe.

Oscar Wilde

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:27 am

haha, ok; I didn't realize that the Axioms were that much better than the Paradigms. I have a little bit of history with Paradigms, never heard an Axiom, but have read praise upon praise.

As far as the NAD receiver: I'm looking at the following models (but would be up for suggestions) 712, c352, 7130. The AV711 is also a possibility, just because I happen to know that one is available.

edit: the 2155 is also a possibility.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:08 am

xusr wrote: #2. Get a used NAD receiver and a pair of Axiom m3Ti's, Paradigm Minis, or (hmm...) Infinity 162s.
My setup has Axiom m3Tis along with a very beefy integrated Kenwood amp from the late 70s. I need to spend a lot more money treating my room before my speakers will become the weakest link in my mixing.

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:57 pm

Phiz, do you have the original m3Ti's or the v.2's?

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:14 pm

m3s are sick for the price. they're sick at any price.

I had the m22tis with an hsu stf-2 sub for a year and a half then I gave them to my dad as a housewarming gift. they were great. I have nothing but praises for axiom's customer service, speedy free shipping, and quality for the price. i bought them b-stock and to this day still can't find the scratch on them!

I upgraded to the thiels later. totally different ballpark, but the fact that the axioms could even compete for a mere $400/pair amazes me.

Oscar Wilde

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm

xusr wrote:Phiz, do you have the original m3Ti's or the v.2's?
I'm not sure. I got them new around spring 2002. The name plate on them doesn't say anything about "SE". So I was going to guess v1. However, then I read this version comparison, and mine seem to have the SE (v2) build characteristics.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:24 am

Paradigms, Axioms, or anything else, you shouldn't be picking speakers by reading about them on the web. You need to hear them in person.
I already said this in an earlier reply, but I'll try again...
Go find the local hi-fi shops, bring some CDs, and go listen to speakers.
If you already know that you love the Focal speakers from the school studio then you're ahead of the game because you know the sound you like. Now you can go search for the closest thing to that sound that's still in your price range. Even Focal has some entry-level bookshelf speakers under $500, the Chorus 705 and 706 models - they won't quite be the Twins, but you can listen to hear if they are close enough.

-Jeremy

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 am

axiom doesn't have a dealer, but they do have a 30 day trial period. this way you can listen to them in the space you'll actually be using them in, and decide if you like them, opposed to at some dealer..

Oscar Wilde

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

I know that you can't (or shouldn't) choose speakers by reading specs and reviews, but I wanted to have some things in mind before doing my listening.

I know the same also applies with receivers/amps, but I'd still be interested in hearing what people have to say about NAD receivers. They seem to be the best cheap mid-range stuff out there. If anyone has recommendations about specific models, or other brands/models that they've been happy with, I'd be appreciative.