High end verbs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

High end verbs

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 am

What are you guys using for super swank verbs these days?
I use a bunch of different things, but mostly I have been in love with my lexicon 224XL for years now, but I need a less grainy, more modern verb. I am not interested in plug ins for this duty, as I have a few that I like, and use from time to time, but I mix on a console and I am about to buy a Bricasti M7 unless someone offers a really compelling alternative. This box would need to potentially travel with me around town to other studios, so the size of the Bricasti (1U) is incredibly attractive, rather than just getting a plate I can only use at my own place, ya know?

Anyone?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:17 am

Lex 300?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:29 am

I've been wondering the same thing, since none of the reverbs that I really love are currently being manufactured. What's the Bricasti like, Joel? It's the only one people really seem to be talking about, but I haven't gotten to hear it.

Actually, I guess Quantec is making that new Yardstick thing that looks cool.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:49 am

The bricasti is prety sick, but i kind of have my heart set on a Sony DRE777/2 the new one... I really love those things, but the bricasti sounds pretty amazing (in headphones at AES anyway). I need to get a demo unit of each of these things... unless someone has another suggestion. I already have a lex 224XL(with other significant upgrades via Jim Fabiano), and a TC2000 I have loved for years, and a ton of spring verbs and stuff like that... But besides a plate, what high end box do you guys think is really great. Not just good. I already have really good, and I need great.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 am

pico verb...I'm not kidding....well sort of, but not really....

Jay
I hate those icon thingys'.....

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Lexicon 960L seems to top peoples favorites list all the time..

http://www.sevenwoodsaudio.com/products.htm

the ursa major remake thing looks cool..

I dunno..I just use computerverb..

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:33 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote:Lexicon 960L seems to top peoples favorites list all the time..

http://www.sevenwoodsaudio.com/products.htm

the ursa major remake thing looks cool..

I dunno..I just use computerverb..
yeah, i would rather get something other than a lex at this point. I have used the 960, and it is pretty amazing, but it just isnt the thing I am looking for. So far the Bricasti and the Sony DRE777 are the closest to what i want out of a verb.
I dont really care about "real" as much as I care about "sounds great." Do spring verbs sound like "real" spaces? of course not, but they sound great.

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Joel....;) To be perfectly frank with you...You sound like a lot of other people Ive seen post here who actually already know what they want, and really just need some affirmation. Your heart already seems to know what it needs. Do it.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm

msmith wrote:Joel....;) To be perfectly frank with you...You sound like a lot of other people Ive seen post here who actually already know what they want, and really just need some affirmation. Your heart already seems to know what it needs. Do it.
Its more like I keep winding up on the same tidbits of info, that I am not sure are really the way to go. I would just love to hear from some other users about their favorite verb choices.

I do have an idea of what i want, but I am not dead set on any of them. Like i saidm the bricasti looks interesting, as does the sony DRE, but I am not totally sure... I am looking for the 10 year verb, not the 2 year verb, ya know>
?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

TC System 6000.

I mean, I guess I've never put it head to head against a Lex 960, but it's easily the most spectacular thing I've heard. Four engines can be as many as four stereo (or surround) effects, or on some complex stuff it may take 2 engines. The internal routing can be switched around and saved to patch the 8 inputs to any combination of engines and out to the outputs. I usually use 4x stereo, but I push a few touch buttons and it can run all 8 into one engine, loop through another engine, then send the signals out, or any number of endless combinations. Lots of presets, lots more room for user presets, available software packages for mastering, noise reduction, surround, etc., and a bunch of presets from Skywalker, Massenburg, etc. Specialty programs can be rented or purchased, and they update regularly. The natural stuff is so fantastically natural once it's dialed in that it's almost hard to tell it's there until I bypass it. The special effects stuff sounds gorgeous, and includes a ton of plate settings.
For size, it's a 2-space brain and if you control it with the Icon remote, that's a 1-space (but very shallow) computer and the cute little remote you see in all the pictures. Not as portable as some, but better than the Lex 960, and certainly not like taking a plate on the subway. You could get the software to control it from a laptop, and then you're looking at 2 spaces plus the laptop.
The "Reverb 6000" version includes all the reverb programs with the mastering ones as optional software. The "Mastering 6000" is the opposite. I bought the Reverb version and the 'Multichannel Mastering' optional license, and it's been a fantastic package of tools.

-Jeremy

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 pm

wait...Quantec?

*Googles furiously for signs of resurrection*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:17 pm

t.c. system 6000 is amazing
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:16 am

I agree, I used a system 5000 for some time and always loved it. I'm sure the 6000 is just that much better.

I know it's a plug-in, but revibe has some amazing trails.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

rwc wrote:t.c. system 6000 is amazing
I have been thinking of that one also.
I have never bumped into one though. Never had a chance to try one for some reason.
I never see them at any of the studios I wind up working out of.
I have a lower end TC box that i still genuinely love, the 2000. I use that box ALL the time still.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:54 am

There must be someone in NYC who can rent one, or put one out on an evaluation loan for you. Although with the ridiculous number of different programs in there it could take a while to really evaluate.
If not, then maybe try the ProTools HD plug-in version of the algorithms to get started... and if it's not something you'd end up getting in hardware, you'll still have some great plug-ins. Or they have apparently taken one engine and a 'best of' list of algorithms and packed them into the Reverb 4000 box.

Oh and all of the stuff available on the older M-5000 is in one folder of the 6000 programs.

-Jeremy