Power soak or Iso box for guitar?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:30 am

Yes, the Powersoak does what you say, but it sounds better than playing at a practical volume without it.

In my case, I have a Mesa Boogie Mark2 B which by definition is louder than O'Hare Airport; the only use I get out of it is through the Powersoak, even though I am in a single-family home. I mean, I have neighbors 50' away and with the house closed up the amp is still too loud.

Oh, and I use the Boogie for bass, also with the Powersoak...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I've been using an attenuator for years. I don't think I could live without one now. I've tried the Sholz Power Soak, THD Hotplate, the Marshall Power Brake, and the DR Z Airbrake (OK, I have the Trainwreck version but it's the same thing). The Airbrake is most definitely the best sounding of them all. The Sholz was the worst. I haven't tried the Weber, though.

uncle bastard
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by uncle bastard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:41 am

I'm in a similar bind- I live in the middle of a terrace, so cranking my amp for tone isn't a viable option :evil: . I have no problems with building my own iso box, I just need to know what to use for insulation. The amp is a hand built ( by me ) Ampmaker SE5A 5 watt class A, and my cab is a Marshall 1912. I have an L-pad attenuator, but haven't yet built it into a box, after hearing what attenuators do to sound.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Acoustical foam is relatively easy to find. Try E Bay worst case scenario. I just used some mattress egg shell foam and triple layered it with a couple of pieces of proper acoustical foam I had leftover. Works like a charm.

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:28 pm

I ended up getting the axetrak. It showed up today and I wrote about it on my blog.

http://armanbohn.com/blog/?p=72

I like it so far!

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:40 pm

I updated my blog to include to include more audio samples of the Axetrak:

With my Delta Blues 210:

http://armanbohn.com/blog/?p=73

I picked up a Blackheart combo (a great alternative to the Epi Valve Junior) and recorded again:

http://armanbohn.com/blog/?p=74

The Blackheart is really cool and I'm throwing some Bitmo mods into it this week. I'll post some more sound samples when I get it running.

Overall - I like the Axetrak for what it is. It is almost silent which is exactly what I need. Tonally, it's not very flexible (you can't adjust the built in mic in any way), but it likes different heads - so the variations have to come from outside the box.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 12, 2008 3:03 pm

armanbohn wrote:Hmmm... maybe one of these?

http://www.grendelsound.com/deadroom.htm
I seriously want this thing, and have been checking it out since it was posted in this thread. I can use it with my Mesa DC-3, and possibly with my Squawkbox once it's modded. However, I also own a 1977 Fender Super Reverb,a nd I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to use it with this thing. However, it is 2ohm, not 8ohm.

so, I'm sure that this question is bound to come up when talking about guitar iso cabs and such... is there any way for a 2ohm amp's output to work with an 8ohm cabinet? What do I need in between them to make this work?

Jeff