Tubes for Groove Tubes MD1a?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Tubes for Groove Tubes MD1a?

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:29 am

I finally picked up an Groove Tubes MD1a due to the great response they get on this board. I want to get a new tube for my mic but don't really know where to start. I'd be fine getting something "fancy" like a NOS GE/RCA/Telefunken if it is really MUCH better than everything else, but I'd prefer to stay on the cheap. Especially since i hear Joel just threw an old sylvania tube from the dump in his and he loves it. I know groove tubes makes a 6072 that would go good in my mic but it's $60 and i don't know if i want to spend that much if i don't have to. could I put something like the GT 6201-M in it?( which is a JAN 12AT7 made for microphones). What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:25 am

don't know the answer to your question, but interested to know what you paid for the MD1a.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Tubes for Groove Tubes MD1a?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:13 am

Ian D wrote:I finally picked up an Groove Tubes MD1a due to the great response they get on this board. I want to get a new tube for my mic but don't really know where to start.

Thanks
What's wrong with the tube that's in it?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:16 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Ian D wrote:I finally picked up an Groove Tubes MD1a due to the great response they get on this board. I want to get a new tube for my mic but don't really know where to start.

Thanks
What's wrong with the tube that's in it?
Maybe its a Groove Tubes tube :lol:
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:04 pm

I carry a couple of them in the case with my MD1A. I actually put back in an old GT 12ax7 for a project where the sylvania was just getting blown out too much by a really powerful male singer. I just love that mic. the tube is so easy to swap out... I have liked bugle boys in mine, and any other old RCA thingy. Just find a couple of cheap, used 12ax7's and try them out. Dont spend too much. That mic sounds good with just about anything in there, I have tried! The subtleties of the tube change are cool, but not worth spending a million dollars on a certain choice. I put a telefunken gold pin in there that cost an arm and a leg, and I didnt like it as much as the "landfill" 12ax7 or even the original (came in the mic) GT that I have back in there now.

Enjoy that mic, it is a great one. Have fun finding the subtle voicing differences that some other old tubes can bring to the table.

Great microphone.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Hey, this is serendipitous - I was about to post a similar question. I too recently picked up an MD1a (based primarily Dr. Hamilton's and others positive reviews).

(I figure that if I can't get some good vocal tracks with the MD1a or my SM7, I can stop blaming my mics and start blaming myself).

Anyway, I still have a few MD1a questions for you knowledgeable folks:

1) Are there any 3rd party shock-mounts (hopefully cheap) that work with the MD1a? Mine did not come with one.

2) What is a good (inexpensive) pre-amp to pair with the MD1a? I only own one (non-mixing console) pre-amp, an EH 12AY - is that a good match?

3) is there a good case that holds all of the above? (I only have the mic, cable and power supply).

thanks!

roy
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:54 am

roygbiv wrote:Hey, this is serendipitous - I was about to post a similar question. I too recently picked up an MD1a (based primarily Dr. Hamilton's and others positive reviews).

(I figure that if I can't get some good vocal tracks with the MD1a or my SM7, I can stop blaming my mics and start blaming myself).

Anyway, I still have a few MD1a questions for you knowledgeable folks:

1) Are there any 3rd party shock-mounts (hopefully cheap) that work with the MD1a? Mine did not come with one.

2) What is a good (inexpensive) pre-amp to pair with the MD1a? I only own one (non-mixing console) pre-amp, an EH 12AY - is that a good match?

3) is there a good case that holds all of the above? (I only have the mic, cable and power supply).

thanks!

roy
Use the 12Ay7 and enjoy.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Use the 12Ay7 and enjoy.
great - I was hoping to hear that - thanks Joel!
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Seeming as everyone has their mics open swapping tubes out, is this what yr capsule looks like?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ ... n/MD1c.jpg
Oh and so this isn't a total hijack...I use a ecc83 marked made in Holland in my MD1.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:21 pm

hyde maintenance wrote:Seeming as everyone has their mics open swapping tubes out, is this what yr capsule looks like?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ ... n/MD1c.jpg
Oh and so this isn't a total hijack...I use a ecc83 marked made in Holland in my MD1.
The 3/4" original capsule is the one to love.
is that an original?

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

I just popped mine open - it looks similar to, but not exactly like the picture above - it doesn't have that large open loop around the whole ensemble, nor the threaded wire.

The capsule inner dimensions do appear to be 3/4" across.

It has two circuit boards inside - the tube is mounted to one that says MDA-1, and the second board says MDA-2.
They both say 4-7-97. I presume that is the date?

One other point - mine actually does not say MD1a anywhere - rather, it says MODEL 1A on the outside of the mic housing.

I've been assuming that meant it was an MD1a. Hope I didn't make the old "when you assume, you make an ass....etc., error.

It also has a GT tube in it - anyone know if that is any good?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:08 pm

How does it sound?
I loved mine right of the bat, and I really was trying to make it sound WORSE (distorted/broken) for a specific effect when i started mucking around with the tube. The stock GT is back in mine and sounding great! I genuinely am just a HUGE fan of this mic (obviously). it is one of the few mics that I even bother pulling off the shelf that would be "competition" for the classic neumann's I have collected.. The GT makes it to the record way more times than people would assume, based on the mic collection on the studio G site. Just record with it! its a great mic, even bone stock.

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:15 pm

The 3/4" original capsule is the one to love.
is that an original?
I actually found that image in the intertubes- hard to tell exactly the size of it but it is definitely the same type as the 3/4" capsule in my mic. I was just asking because I had heard that Josephson had made capsules for GT for a while and was wondering if we were all comparing apples to apples here.

Glad to hear that little (Primo?) capsule is the one we're all listening to.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:42 pm

I actually picked this up for Ian when he bought it because he had a busy schedule and I was in the area.

He paid $330 for it after taxes, it's in really nice condition as well. It is the original version, not the reissue. The tube, I believe, is the original Groove Tubes. He says it sounds good on his voice and Gibson J45 running into his Otari MX5050, which is what he uses at his house for demos and stuff.

I think he picked up a new Groove Tubes 12AY7 and didn't like it and went back to the original tube and is going to throw the new Groove Tubes tube in his amplifier.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 am

I've tried a couple of different tubes in my MD1a and eventually went back to the original Groove Tubes 12AT7.
The two 12AX7 (Mullard and Siemens) I've tried were distorting pretty early on loud sources and the NOS Valvo 12AT7 just sounded dull and lifeless.
A friend with a metal work shop built a shock mount for my MD1A which looks incredibly cool now. Since the current MD1B's body seems to have the same dimensions, you should be able to get a shock mount from Groove Tubes.
I've just bought a MD2A of ebay and can't wait to compare it to my MD1A.
Does anybody know if there are any major differences between the MD2 and the MD1 (apart from the capsule)?