AllMusic Corrections? Anyone ever have any luck?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

AllMusic Corrections? Anyone ever have any luck?

Post by SoulOfJonas » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:15 am

Anyone ever actually have anything "corrected" on AllMusic's website? Or better yet does anyone have some direct contact info for someone who might be able to help me over at AllMusic?

In the past several months I've assisted on at least 2 different albums that have seen proper release that I knew I was gonna get credit on. On both of those projects I actually got really cool with the artist/bands and received the cds before their release dates. I was really grateful to have my name very clearly written in both liner notes as one of the assistant engineers. Here's what kills me, though. In both cases friends of mine are also given assistant engineer credits in the liner notes AND on AllMusic's site. For some reason, though, AllMusic left me of the credits for both releases. What the hell? The first time it happened I thought, "Oh, I guess someone screwed up. I'll just submit a correction and they'll fix it." That was like 8 or 9 months ago, I've submitted a handful of correction requests since then and now that it's happened again. I'm thinking of 3 possible scenarios:

1. My vindictive ex-girlfriend actually runs AllMusic and never wants to me get credit for anything
2. I share a name with the murderer who killed the mother of the person who types in the credits at AllMusic and this is his or her way of getting their revenge.
3. Or, although I've worked on a good number of projects, since these both were to be my first credits on proper releases, someone at AllMusic is too lazy to make up a new ID entry for me and just leaves me out

All 3 seem very possible in my head. In all honesty, though, as a young dude still trying to establish myself every credit means a lot to me, especially the ones I know should be up on AllMusic cuz as far as I can tell it's the most recognized online resource for that sort of thing.

I actually just pre-ordered another release on which I might get credit. Not sure. If my name's in those liner notes, though, and AllMusic dicks me over again, GRR! ... I'm just gonna walk into AllMusic headquarters and start karate chopping people in the neck. :x :evil:

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:25 am

All of my credits show up under a gospel singer with the same name as me.
I've emailed them a few times. No response and no corrections.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:55 am

i stopped bothering with allmusic after their site stopped loading in a timely manner.

isnt the wikipedia a much better resource anyways?

and yeah, i've tried repeatedly to correct information with no luck either...

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Most of my friends have some kind of error on their Allmusic entry. All of them have tried in vain to correct it with (multiple) emails. Strangely enough, about 5 years ago I noticed an EP up there that I worked on, sent one email, and was "blessed" with the credit. Unfortunatley, it's probably the one thing I've done that I'd prefer NOT to be associated with! HA!

And apparently, according to Allmusic, I wrote "The Florida Twist" for Bill Haley & The Comets. We must have been having some fun, cause I don't remember that at all!

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:51 pm

That's the concensus from all the people I've asked about AllMusic too. Why even bother having a corrections submission form then?

A friend who apparently did have something corrected told me to get in touch with William Ruhlmann who writes some of the reviews for their site. My friend doesn't have any contact info for him anymore, though, and I can't find any online.

-JV

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Yeah, my entry on AMG is riddled with errors and fantastical inaccuracies -- even my name is listed wrong (it's Hoagie Hill, not "Hoagland," sheesh). The entry is quite out of date, too. For years, I've periodically tried to submit corrections, to no avail. I once met an A&R guy who said he could fix it for me, but even he couldn't get through. I wish I knew what really goes on there. One might think there were some sort of twisted conspiracy, but as the saying goes, never attribute to malevolence what can be attributed to incompetence.
www.seamonstersounds.com
"May my silences become more accurate." -Theodore Roethke, poet

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 pm

I've seen this same thing happen a few times recently on records I've been a part of -- the only people who get credit are the ones who are already in their database. Weird.

When my band's last album got sent in, I actually made a little credit sheet to stick in the package, in addition to the full-art copy of the CD, in the hopes that it would make it that much easier for them to find the info. So what did they do? Only listed the first two people on the sheet.

I guess that's better than our first record, though, where they listed the album title as the band name and vice versa. They finally fixed it, five years later.

I guess you do have to appreciate the enormity of their task, though -- They must get hundreds of CDs a week. Not an excuse to be inaccurate, but I understand why it happens.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:26 am

All the time and this site is great.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 am

@?,*???&? wrote:All the time and this site is great.
But you know the guy who runs the site, right?

I don't think the site is great by any stretch of the imagination, just by nature of how much wrong information is up there. It would be much better if there appeared to by any effort to correct it, but there's not.

My listing (which I didn't even know existed until someone told me I had one a few years ago) has improved marginally in the last year or two, but there's still no way to correct the misinformation that's there and what IS and IS NOT listed is silly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:02 am

UPDATE: after a call to AllMedia corp headquarters, they put me through to the corrections editor's voicemail over at AllMusic. I left him a message (that was WAY too long with lots of spelling and repeating of words for clarity) assuming that it would go nowhere.

surprisingly I got an email back yesterday saying that things have been corrected on their end and to check back with the site in a few days for the updates.

nothing changed on their site yet but i'm still hopeful.

-JV

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 pm

About 6 years ago, I submitted some correct song-titles for one of my favorite band's albums. It had nothing to do with credits, and it was updated a week or so later.

Over the past 2 years, they have NEVER edited the corrections I have submitted to them. My name is clearly listed in releases on Rykodisc, Drag City, and Kemado, and apparently they refuse to include me. Not only that, but they don't even put my name in my own band's credits as the lead vocalist or guitar player.

Whatever...maybe I'll put a call in tomorrow.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:06 pm

btw, they are severely short-staffed in the critical review area...

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm

UPDATE AGAIN: Checked the AllMusic site this morning and - sure enough - there I was. :D I was doing sound for a boring (and rather quiet) corporate gig today and when I saw that they had finally made the corrections. I almost jumped outta my seat and yelled "F@CK YEAH!". Instead I had to quietly give the thumbs up to my friend/coworker. In the grand scheme of things I know it doesn't really matter all that much, but it definitely made my day. I should have a few more credits coming my way in the next several months too. :lol:

-JV