Energy saver bulbs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjl
pluggin' in mics

Post by mjl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:25 pm

RE: mercury in CFLs, if you live in a part of the country where a decent chunk of your electricity comes from coal:

"The irony of CFLs is that they actually reduce overall mercury emissions in the long run. Despite recent improvements in the industry's technology, the burning of coal to produce electricity emits roughly 0.023 milligrams of mercury per kilowatt-hour. Over a year, then, using a 26-watt CFL in the average American home (where half of the electricity comes from coal) will result in the emission of 0.66 milligrams of mercury. For 100-watt incandescent bulbs, which produce the identical amount of light, the figure is 2.52 milligrams."

http://www.slate.com/id/2183606

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Leopold wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
Leopold wrote:I plan on using a dimmer and don't want to deal with any headaches.
if your dimmers are on the same circuit as your audio gear, you will be dealing with headaches.
Yeah i already spoke to my electrician and he was aware of this. There will be seperates circuits for each room and lights, ac, etc..

Thanks again.

Eddie
Separate circuits may not help. I lived in a house with a dimmer ~40', and on a different floor from where I recorded. Different circuit too. Still got into single coil guitars. RF hash is a cruel, airborne mistress.

Get dimmers that are specifically designed to not emit RF. Spendy, but necessary. Or stick with incandescents, and use 3-way bulbs.

anybody know what the state of affairs is with LED lighting yet?

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:13 am

I was wondering the same thing, I've been meaning to chech out the led bulbs and buy some.[/quote]