Question about Digital Performer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

seeabove
pushin' record

Question about Digital Performer

Post by seeabove » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 am

Hey all - I usually track in DP 4.5 and then edit in ProTools because I'm just faster in PT. The default audio file format for DP is SDII. I looked everywhere but couldn't figure out how to change this.

How do I make my DP sessions record BWFs? It drove me crazy all day today...

Thanks is advance!
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 am

you can't. DP6 is promising BWF support, but not here yet. Dig around in the manual for all the answers.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:51 am

emrr wrote:you can't. DP6 is promising BWF support, but not here yet. Dig around in the manual for all the answers.
So you are locked into SDII? Not even aiffs or wavs? I guess the workaround is to export the files individually as aiffs, etc.
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:56 am

In DP5 you'd open the Soundbite Browser in the Windows menu, click on the Menu button next to the Close button and choose Export Selected Bites. In the drop-down menu you can choose different file formats. Not sure if it's the same in DP4 though.

mangoose
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mangoose » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 am

double check though, i think using DP's export function removes all time stamps...

pro tools doesn't accept SDII anymore?

MJA
audio school graduate

Post by MJA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 am

I've run into this problem before. I think PT will convert SDII files to aif when you are at the import audio window.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm 99% sure that there's a place in DP where you can set it up to record in WAV format from the get-go as opposed to exporting the files as WAVs after-the-fact. Just ran across this option recently. When I get home from work tonight I'll suss it out...
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Not in 4.5 or 5.13.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:38 am

So DP was unable to, then they made it possible in 5 (my version), and then they TOOK IT AWAY AGAIN?

Another one to add to the growing list of reasons to stay the hell away from 5.13 that I keep hearing about.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:44 am

I've had v5 since it came out. As far as I know, even v5 has never had the ability to record to anything other than SDII.
It's promised for v6. But, I've got the v5 manual right in front of me and I can't find anywhere where it hints that .wav is an available recording format.

carrythebanner
audio school

Post by carrythebanner » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:10 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I've had v5 since it came out. As far as I know, even v5 has never had the ability to record to anything other than SDII.
It's promised for v6. But, I've got the v5 manual right in front of me and I can't find anywhere where it hints that .wav is an available recording format.
Ye speak the truth –?DP is and has always been SDII-only*, but the forthcoming DP6 release will add AIFF & Broadcast WAVE.

* For recording –?you could always export and import other formats.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:47 am

carrythebanner wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:I've had v5 since it came out. As far as I know, even v5 has never had the ability to record to anything other than SDII.
Ye speak the truth ? DP is and has always been SDII-only*, but the forthcoming DP6 release will add AIFF & Broadcast WAVE.

* For recording ? you could always export and import other formats.
Yeah, for me it is just a time issue. SDII is cool, and protools will import it, etc. But there are times I just want to go into the audio files folder, grab the aiff, and hand it to the video guy.

I might go back to logic again....

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:37 pm

You can drag AIF into it DP5 without conversion, but WAV's get converted to sdII.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73