Guitar Centers New Pricing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gutar Center is:

The best thing that happened to music retail!
2%
Ok but not my cup of tea.
20%
A fun place to go and play Crazy Train really loud and piss everyone off but I don't care!
11%
Satans favorite musical retail chain and a clear sign the end is nigh!
39%
I believe in UFO's and the Easter Bunny
28%

Total votes: 46

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:26 pm

cgarges wrote:I've known about this since February. They've been test marketing it in some ares and it's been doing surprisingly well. While it'll piss some people off at first, it won't make a bit of difference because they'll still have better prices than most average customers can get at mom and pop stores, so they'll continue to shop there, because people just HAVE to have their fucking deals, regardless of service or quality.

It does kind of suck for me because I always got cost+ten even though I never asked for it. AT the same time, they haven't really stocked the sticks or head that I like or any type of pro audio gear (for the most part) that I buy on a regular basis for several years. I'll still buy the few goofy things that they carry from them, but only as a service to the guys there who've hooked me up for years. They sold enough stuff to me without making the commission that I can afford to put some dough in their pockets. (In fact, the guy who sells me the most stuff there also brokered my house and didn't take much of a commission on that, either, God bless him!) At the same time, special-ordering stuff is such a pain that I won't be doing any of that king of thing through GC.

I've witnessed some ridiculous stuff there, though. I watched one guy gripe about something ridiculously insignificant and rant to the sales guys, saying, "Do you know how much money I've spent here?" What this guy didn't realize was that as soon as he left, the employees looked up exactly how much money he'd spent there and found out if was a whopping $18 in like two and half years. I can't feel too sorry for anybody about this.

PLUS, GC just go bought out by a larger corporate company, hence the change in policy. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I don't know, I still buy at cost there.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:49 am

@?,*???&? wrote: I don't know, I still buy at cost there.
Not for long.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 am

the guitar center in mobile alabama does nt do setups or string changes on guitars or basses, one guy told me in the store, n then recomended a mom n pops store !! thats a good marketing strategy..... NOT!!!
is it beer 30 yet?????

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:35 am

farview wrote:Maybe it will take less than two hours to buy a set of strings now that the sales guy doesn't have to fight the outdated computer system to get you an extra 20 cents off.
I just want them to sell products at the advertised price, rather than saying, "Our computer system isn't programmed with the right price so we can't give you that price."

They truly deserve to go out of business.

What's sorta amusing is that in my small town, I can go into the GC and none of the people in the "pro" "audio" section will recognize me as the regular sound guy at one of the clubs.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

I never thought I'd say this, but ...

Post by andrewfoshee » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:47 am

I totally dig Guitar Center now. I used to despise going there, especially when I lived in San Diego. The one in Independence, MO if full of some pretty cool guys. I can tell when I'm approached by a new salesman because they tend to be a little 'too' helpful, but for the most part everyone there gives me my space when I'm trying stuff out, and answers questions if I have them. Recently there's a few guys back in drums that have really helped me with my lack of knowledge how to tune my kit. (I'm not a drummer) They even let me bring in a snare I DIDN'T buy there to show me how to tune both the beater and resonant sides. Awesome!

Anyways, there's a couple of main guys I buy my stuff from now and they are always helpful but not 'too' helpful. In otherwords they don't try to sell me shit I don't want/need, and always seem to tell the truth when they don't know an answer instead of b.s.ing.

That being said, if I ever make a super large purchase on an expensive guitar or a high-end preamp I will do so through a friend that works for the Musician's Friend Outlet so I can get a way better price. But for everything else I go to GC.

Shit, it's the same company.
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 am

cgarges wrote: So, what makes being on tour worthy of a discount? If you'd rather know the prices up front, then why would you feel the need to demand a discount. Technically, their stuff IS discounted. Thousands of people tour every year. Why should one guy touring be eligible for a discount in a tore where he doesn't know anybody?
At the local store, nothing about being on tour would make me eligible for a discount. At Guitar Center, where I was getting a deep discount every time I walked in the door at any of three local locations, I came to expect that treatment. And frankly, their base price on strings and picks were not generally discounted at all. In fact, the flipside of the their preferential pricing model seemed to be jacking up the base retail price to those who weren't in the know. I don't haggle at the grocery store either, and frankly I hate haggling period. But once you learn that they will give you goods at cost + 10%, why the hell wouldn't you ask?

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 pm

I never buy anything at Guitar Center worth haggling over...like a $3 pack of strings or drum heads.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 am

farview wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote: I don't know, I still buy at cost there.
Not for long.
You must not know who you're talking to here.

I mean.. nevermind that they only give employees "cost plus ten".... I'm surprised that they don't sell to Jeff below cost just to have his cool ass in the store as much as possible... what with the media following him around all the time and everything. :roll:

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:26 pm

I just talked to someone in the know. They are trying this new thing out in some of the smaller stores and areas, so some stores are still working the way they always did.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Andy Peters wrote:
farview wrote: What's sorta amusing is that in my small town, I can go into the GC and none of the people in the "pro" "audio" section will recognize me as the regular sound guy at one of the clubs.

-a
I'm pretty convinced that the people that work in our local GC don't even like music.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm

this thread title lacks any appropriate apostrophe.

re: guitar center - I don't think I've tried to haggle anything before. Just price matched a keyboard.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 am

What's with the HUGE avatars???

hobbycore
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hobbycore » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:19 am

Meriphew wrote:What's with the HUGE avatars???
Big avatar... small brain.

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:29 am

Well, for a big conglomeration, Guitar Center has a way better "corporate culture" than Sam Ash which sucks balls. I simply say, "Give me your best price" and GC always has treated me right AND with respect.
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:36 am

lotusstudio wrote:Well, for a big conglomeration, Guitar Center has a way better "corporate culture" than Sam Ash which sucks balls. I simply say, "Give me your best price" and GC always has treated me right AND with respect.
Its sort of apples to oranges here. Its hard to think in terms of "corporate culture" when it comes to a business that has been run by the same family since 1928. There is a lot of stuff that winds up in the mix that has less to do with being a corporation than it does with being in business with one's siblings.
Prog out with your cog out.