Any ideas on using a TEAC 2340r reel to reel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingsburymusic
audio school

Any ideas on using a TEAC 2340r reel to reel

Post by kingsburymusic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 pm

So I've been reading Tape Op for a few years, but I'm new to this whole forum thing. My uncle gave me a TEAC 2340r, an early 70s reel to reel 4-track, and I was wondering what sort of creative applications I could use it for.

I record everything on my g4 mac with a 002 in Pro Tools. I've got a few great mics, a sytek pre, and usually only track myself and my band. My studio is pretty straight forward.

Any ideas on how I can use this tape machine? maybe send my mixes to tape and then bring them back into pro tools? Or use it for tape delays?

Thanks.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Track drums to it and then dump them into the computer.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

"take this brother, may it serve you well"
"number 9" "number 9" "number 9"

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:12 pm

Also - tape delay, tape loop craziness (put some masking tape over the erase head and build up sounds on the loop), mix down, backwards guitar solos, etc, etc, etc.

kingsburymusic
audio school

Re: Any ideas on using a TEAC 2340r reel to reel

Post by kingsburymusic » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks for the tips. Is there any basic upkeep that I need to do with this? The tape speed changes as it plays, so I'm guessing it's a belt. This is my first experience in the tape world, so any general maintenance info would be great.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am

Record the whole band live
dont over crush the drums
push the guitar harder to tape
find the sweet spots .
keep the speed at the highest setting
( 7 1/4 for the 2340 ) .
Use a good converter and dump it over to crap tools

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Teacher's Pet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:27 am

Maybe try this:
If you're recording your whole band at once, think of the left and right channels as tracks 1 and 2 and then mix to mono. You can sub-mix a number of mics over to channel 1 or channel 2.

I've had good results doing this at band practice, with more isolation than I'd gotten previously on regular (minimal) practice tapes. Guitars on one side and drums on the other, something like that. You won't be overdubbing (not to tape, anyway) but you can EQ guitar/drums separately and adjust their levels independently. This was like a revelation to me, silly as that sounds.

This also works with a regular cassette deck.

You might find it liberating (or frustrating) to work with some limitations. I know there's a lot of possibilities with Pro Tools, and it's tempting to "fix it all later." Try getting away from the computer's visual interface and rely on your ears. Focus on mic placement and performance and having fun.

Everything gevermil said previously is good advice. If you've never used tape before, don't be afraid to hit it hard. It won't immediately crap out on you like the computer does.

As far as upkeep, there's a ton of info already on these forums. You need the right kind of alcohol and the right kind of q-tips to clean the heads, maybe a de-magnetizer, some other stuff. Don't sweat that stuff too much (yet) and just get rolling.

Please report back to us and let us know how it goes.

- Robin

kingsburymusic
audio school

Post by kingsburymusic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.