Help with possible broken EHX 12AY7

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:18 am

jckinnick wrote:Ok I found a TRS - XLR cable lying around with a gold pin on the 1/4 side, plus I changed the 12AX7 tube out and opened it up and looked around to see if anything was loose. Nothing seemed loose and the boards looked good no burn marks. I can now at least hear the mic I have plugged in and theres no hiss but there is a terribly loud hum. I dont think the hum issue was ever resolved in the other thread besides giving it a good whack. You had an issue with yours having a very loud hum at first to didnt you what did you do to yours to get rid of the hum?
Send it in to EHX. This hum, it sounds like a bad omen. They will fix it for you.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:39 pm

nlmd311 wrote:
jckinnick wrote:Ok I found a TRS - XLR cable lying around with a gold pin on the 1/4 side, plus I changed the 12AX7 tube out and opened it up and looked around to see if anything was loose. Nothing seemed loose and the boards looked good no burn marks. I can now at least hear the mic I have plugged in and theres no hiss but there is a terribly loud hum. I dont think the hum issue was ever resolved in the other thread besides giving it a good whack. You had an issue with yours having a very loud hum at first to didnt you what did you do to yours to get rid of the hum?
Cool. I'm glad you were able to at least week out the hiss. As a last ditch effort, have you tried plugging the AC adapter into a different outlet? Or even flipping it the other way around in the same outlet? I have read that sometimes flipping the polarity of AC power cables and at times eliminate or reduce hum. I'll see if I can find the pages I read that on and post them up.

I don't recall mine ever having a hum issue. The main problems mine had from the start were the Power LED situation mentioned above, and very low gain. All of this ended up being related to the tube being loose and not properly seated. The tube was loose and once I seated it properly, the Power LED would stay on when Phantom was applied, the gain improved improved, and the pre opened up noticeably.

-Darrill
Ill try plugging it up in a different outlet I even got one of those Humx things I could put before it to try and cut down the hum.

I bought this thing on Ebay would EHX still fix it for me? Do I need to call before I send it to them?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:49 pm

email customerservice@ehx.com before you mail it. Someone there will tell you what to do.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:59 pm

creature.of.habit wrote:
i had 2 of these, kept 1 (selling it). the first 1 i bought works flawlessly, i understand it's one of the first units..no hums no nothing. second unit was very recent (in relation to the other) and it hummed no matter what - different valves, different cabling, different PSU (EH one), different room, etc.

nothing worked. i kept the good one but i'm also selling that one as well. sorry bout the shameless plug. if anyone's interested, let me know.
*note to self. Don't buy (broken) gear from you know who*

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:10 am

trodden wrote:
creature.of.habit wrote:
i had 2 of these, kept 1 (selling it). the first 1 i bought works flawlessly, i understand it's one of the first units..no hums no nothing. second unit was very recent (in relation to the other) and it hummed no matter what - different valves, different cabling, different PSU (EH one), different room, etc.

nothing worked. i kept the good one but i'm also selling that one as well. sorry bout the shameless plug. if anyone's interested, let me know.
*note to self. Don't buy (broken) gear from you know who*
Thats probably how I ended up with this piece of junk.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:49 am

jckinnick wrote:
nlmd311 wrote:
Cool. I'm glad you were able to at least week out the hiss. As a last ditch effort, have you tried plugging the AC adapter into a different outlet? Or even flipping it the other way around in the same outlet? I have read that sometimes flipping the polarity of AC power cables and at times eliminate or reduce hum. I'll see if I can find the pages I read that on and post them up.

I don't recall mine ever having a hum issue. The main problems mine had from the start were the Power LED situation mentioned above, and very low gain. All of this ended up being related to the tube being loose and not properly seated. The tube was loose and once I seated it properly, the Power LED would stay on when Phantom was applied, the gain improved improved, and the pre opened up noticeably.

-Darrill
Ill try plugging it up in a different outlet I even got one of those Humx things I could put before it to try and cut down the hum.

I bought this thing on Ebay would EHX still fix it for me? Do I need to call before I send it to them?
I tried the little Ebtech Hum X on it and it still didnt get rid of the hum. Do you think the hum could be in the power pack or a ground loop?

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Just got a response email looks like there going to fix it for me.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 pm

jckinnick wrote:Just got a response email looks like there going to fix it for me.
Awesome!

Oh, and just saw your last post...I have no idea if the hum could be in the powerpack or ground loop, I was just throwing ideas out there.

Hope it comes back quickly, and quiet!

Let us know what's up once you get it back. It's always good to hear the follow ups on things like this.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat May 10, 2008 12:52 am

nlmd311 wrote:
jckinnick wrote:Just got a response email looks like there going to fix it for me.
Awesome!

Oh, and just saw your last post...I have no idea if the hum could be in the powerpack or ground loop, I was just throwing ideas out there.

Hope it comes back quickly, and quiet!

Let us know what's up once you get it back. It's always good to hear the follow ups on things like this.

-Darrill

Just a follow up they sent it back to me within a week. It still has a slight hum but nowhere near what it was, they even gave me an extra tube. There is also a very slight tube crackling. Ive found that using the buffered out works the quietest for me.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat May 10, 2008 8:19 am

The buffered output bypasses all the circuitry in the box though - it's a totally unaffected signal, so you may as well not even have the box in your signal path.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat May 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Are you sure. If I hook it up any other way it still has an awful hum.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun May 11, 2008 1:48 pm

KennyLusk wrote:The buffered output bypasses all the circuitry in the box though - it's a totally unaffected signal, so you may as well not even have the box in your signal path.

Youre thinking of bypassing, buffered and bypassing are two different things. The gain knobs shouldnt work if it was bypassing.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun May 11, 2008 2:24 pm

jckinnick wrote:Are you sure. If I hook it up any other way it still has an awful hum.
Maybe it is NOt your EHX preamp doing the humming?

How are you plugging in?

Have you used different cables / known good cables?

Is the source hum-free when plugged into another preamp?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 am

noeqplease wrote:
jckinnick wrote:Are you sure. If I hook it up any other way it still has an awful hum.

How are you plugging in?

"If you haven't already, try running XLR out of the 12AY7 to TRS into the DP01"

Never mind I was hooking it up the opposite of what nlmd311 suggested earlier. Now it sounds great still not sure if the buffering is a true bypass or not though.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat May 17, 2008 3:41 pm

jckinnick wrote:
noeqplease wrote:

How are you plugging in?

"If you haven't already, try running XLR out of the 12AY7 to TRS into the DP01"

Never mind I was hooking it up the opposite of what nlmd311 suggested earlier. Now it sounds great still not sure if the buffering is a true bypass or not though.

I bought me some longer cables so I could run things accordingly instead of just having jumpers strung everywhere and now it seems the hum is back.