Help with possible broken EHX 12AY7

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon May 26, 2008 11:17 am

Maybe my Tascam is not really balanced.
I think that this is likely your problem. That hum you hear is exactly what I experienced when I plugged the 12AY7 into an unbalanced input.

If you know anyone locally who has a different type of input that they know is balanced, like a soundcard with balanced inputs, then you can take your 12AY7 over there and try it. If it doesn't hum you have your answer.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon May 26, 2008 2:36 pm

8th_note wrote:
Maybe my Tascam is not really balanced.
I think that this is likely your problem. That hum you hear is exactly what I experienced when I plugged the 12AY7 into an unbalanced input.

If you know anyone locally who has a different type of input that they know is balanced, like a soundcard with balanced inputs, then you can take your 12AY7 over there and try it. If it doesn't hum you have your answer.

Any chance one of those Ebtech Line Level Shifters would fix my problem?

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon May 26, 2008 8:01 pm

I think that Bush will go down about the same way a Bill Clinton goes down...a decent enough prez that made some mistakes through the course of his presidency.
No way to tell for sure without trying it but I think it would probably do the trick. It won't be very much money so it's a pretty low risk investment.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue May 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Called EHX they said to run XLR>XLR straight out of the Tascam into the 12AY7. Turn the gain on the Tascam down and let the 12AY7's pre do all the work. Turning the gain on the 12AY7 up so the orange overload light just twinkles is +4. Also they said the 1/4 output on the 12AY7 is not a bypass its for monitoring.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 pm

jckinnick wrote:Called EHX they said to run XLR>XLR straight out of the Tascam into the 12AY7. Turn the gain on the Tascam down and let the 12AY7's pre do all the work. Turning the gain on the 12AY7 up so the orange overload light just twinkles is +4. Also they said the 1/4 output on the 12AY7 is not a bypass its for monitoring.
Glad you called them.

So have you had the chance to try it out yet? Did you get it to work for you?

One thing though...You are still listing your signal flow backward. You don't want to run out of the TASCAM into the 12AY7 for what you want to do. You will be running out of the OUTPUT of the 12AY7 into the INPUT of the TASCAM.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 27, 2008 2:32 pm

jckinnick wrote:Called EHX they said to run XLR>XLR straight out of the Tascam into the 12AY7. Turn the gain on the Tascam down and let the 12AY7's pre do all the work. Turning the gain on the 12AY7 up so the orange overload light just twinkles is +4. Also they said the 1/4 output on the 12AY7 is not a bypass its for monitoring.
yep, what this thread and countless other threads here have been telling you the whole freakin time.

and you don't run OUT of the Tascam INTO the 12AY7. You run OUT of the 12 AY7 INTO the Tascam.

Big difference..

also makes it easier for people to help you with your problems when you explain you signal flow correctly.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue May 27, 2008 2:45 pm

8th_note wrote:
I think that Bush will go down about the same way a Bill Clinton goes down...a decent enough prez that made some mistakes through the course of his presidency.
No way to tell for sure without trying it but I think it would probably do the trick. It won't be very much money so it's a pretty low risk investment.
This little exchange is even weirder than average for this weird thread.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue May 27, 2008 3:50 pm

EHX(XLR)>Tascam(XLR)

Is this the correct way to write it out?

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Tue May 27, 2008 7:57 pm

jckinnick wrote:EHX(XLR)>Tascam(XLR)

Is this the correct way to write it out?
Yes it is. Try it out