Echo audiofire12 or motu 24i/o

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:27 am

Great choice!

Read this shootout it's very interesting.

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:38 am

Hey guys

Just to be the voice of opposition, i have had and used a 24 i/o for years now and the only time it gave me any trouble at all is when my idiot ex boss plugged it into a Non functioning APC Uninterruptible power supply, then the box melted down taking my MOTU with it, and he tried to defraud APC and they wouldnt replace it.

Anyway for 80 bucks MOTU Sent me a Refurbed Unit, yeah it took a while, and i had to have my friend lean on them a bit (she used to write code for them)

So i used it now in conjunction with a 2408 Mk2 and have ZERO complaints about the system, its fast sounds fine, although it is clocked off a TC electronic M5000 and with the ASIO Direct Monitoring there are no latency issues and i have a massive amount of I/O, and im on a PC!

Althought, i have an 896HD and have had to give that guy some llove, replace some Op Amps and such fortunately i was able to do the repairs, and im not sure whos fault it is, i have used and abused that box since i got it in 2k5. So a little repair is just to be expected at a certain point.

Anyway, just my $.02 never had much experience with echo but i try not to do too much ITB anyway.

Enjoy your mobile rig! i loves mine.

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:57 pm

I've had a 24 I/O for 4 years now, no problems. Love it. My 2 cents.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:21 pm

You could get 2 Audiofire 8s and have 16 I/O. I use all 24 for mixing OTB.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:30 am

hmmm, not to derail the topic but this post has got me thinking about adding an audiofire 12 to my second rig instead of another rme ff800. Obviously there would be a cost savings but the options are more limited. On a pure sound basis does anyone have experience on the comparison between and RME and the Audiofire? Also any experience with drivers for windows xp?
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Sound wise.... The Audiofire 12 never gets anything but great reviews. It a fantastic unit made for folks with the need for audio quality.... the trade off being less I/O.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Half the i/o for half the price. Doesn't sound like much of a trade off to me.

Buy two. Problem solved! :)

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

Re: Echo audiofire12 or motu 24i/o

Post by lonesomeaudio » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 pm

I really enjoyed this thread. I am definitely sold on Echo. The company seems great and I will definitely bypass the MOTU units and save myself the headache. Thanks a lot guys!!
"That's no moon"

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:17 pm

There's something righteous about Echo. Really....
No ad hype in every magazine. No photo's of Kid Rock's keyboard player using one of their units in his van with a stolen laptop.
Just a great company, within eyeshot of this:

I dare someone to say that they can't make a great record with some good mic's, a good mixer/pre's and an Echo unit. Oh ya, and some good friends.

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Well I did it. I ordered an Audiofire12. Should be here sometime next week.

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I got my Audiofire12 today. I'm looking forward to getting to know it this weekend.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu May 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Are you digging the build quality? Machined aluminum faceplate..... solid solid.

It really clowns the MOTU boxes.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Bryantx512 wrote:I got my Audiofire12 today. I'm looking forward to getting to know it this weekend.
So? What thinks thee?

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 pm

I didn't get to play with it as much as I wanted. Too much to do around the house. But, so far I really like it. I don't know how well the MOTU stuff is built, but this thing feels solid (including the jacks). I plugged everything in. Loaded the latest driver on a Dell Inspiron 1720. Plugged in the firewire and away we went. Very easy. I played back a CD and some wav files. I want to do a side by side with the old 1010. Because I think the echo sounds better. I didn't have anything other than me and my classical guitar to record this weekend. So I hooked up 6 mics up and recorded my feeble attempts at some Carcassi. I really like what I'm hearing so far. I played with Tracktion a little today. You gotta email sales for the activation, but they responded lightening quick. It's not too hard to figure out. Took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to set up a new project and record. Don't think I'll be switching. I hope to get to use all 12 inputs real soon. BTW.. I was getting sub 6 ms latency with all 12 channels enabled. Me likey.

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

Re: Echo audiofire12 or motu 24i/o

Post by lonesomeaudio » Tue May 06, 2008 8:51 am

Hey guys,

This is my dilemma. Do I save some money and get a Profire 2626 and MPowered for my MacBook or go for the gold and buy an Echo device and some new software like Cubase? Really, the only reason I ask is because the guy I'm doing more and more work with owns a Profire 2626 and it would save me the expense. Either way I need to get new software I believe.

I currently run PTLE with a mbox2 on a one year old macbook, nothing fancy.

My reason for upgrading is my newly acquired Allen and Heath System 8 MKII (which was built on the day I was born..destiny?) and I would like to be able to go in and out of that and get the quality pre's and eq.

Thankfully the government gave me a good return and in my attempt to stimulate the economy I'll be upgrading my setup with new gear!

Thanks guys! I freaking love this message board. I'm currently sitting in a room full of lawyers as the AV tech and getting paid to read about audio.

YES!

ps. Hey baldfather, when are you officially here in Chicago? I live at California and Belmont (two blocks away from Electrical Audio!!!). Feel free to drop me a line any time.
"That's no moon"