hwo do you sell software if your ilok breaks?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

hwo do you sell software if your ilok breaks?

Post by pixeltarian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 am

...well the ilok isn't 100% broken, but it's ripped apart and being held together by wires.

is there some kind of transfer of ownership thing that can be done?

I want to sell my machfive (v1, boxed).
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:18 am

Get a new ilok. Transfer to that. It works prety well unless it is a waves product with the authorization living on an ilok/pace product. They dont talk.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:27 am

You can also transfer the license to someone else's iLok account, just need to know their user ID. I think this is about $30, so cheaper than a new iLok. It's common to see this transfer fee listed as shipping cost on eBay.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 am

joel hamilton wrote:Get a new ilok. Transfer to that. It works prety well unless it is a waves product with the authorization living on an ilok/pace product. They dont talk.
Oh crap. That's what I was afraid of.

I'm very much not looking forward to replacing my semi-broken ilok. Loose connector. It fine most of the time, but I have to take it out and fidget with it when my plugins won't load.

I even have the zero downtime insurance and a spare iLok, but I haven't used it yet because I'm afraid of my Waves authorizations vanishing into thin air. F*ing waves!

Have you had to deal with changing over Waves authorizations yet, Joel?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:28 am

fossiltooth wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Get a new ilok. Transfer to that. It works prety well unless it is a waves product with the authorization living on an ilok/pace product. They dont talk.
Oh crap. That's what I was afraid of.

I'm very much not looking forward to replacing my semi-broken ilok. Loose connector. It fine most of the time, but I have to take it out and fidget with it when my plugins won't load.

I even have the zero downtime insurance and a spare iLok, but I haven't used it yet because I'm afraid of my Waves authorizations vanishing into thin air. F*ing waves!

Have you had to deal with changing over Waves authorizations yet, Joel?
I have once, and it was a pain, but it CAN be done.

Here's what you do:

1. Transfer ALL your broken iLok assets to the other iLok.

2. Only the WAVES licences will remain on the broken iLok.

3.Call Waves, and tell them this iLok is broken. they WILL help you. Make SURE your WUP plan is up to date (paid up). It will take a few days, and you might have to send them the broken iLok but it CAN BE DONE. Don't despair.

It is involved, but they can and will transfer your iLok licences to a new iLok. Just remember, the iLok company will NOT assist in the WAVES licences. But WAVES company WILL.

Cheers

PS For your iLok that works, do what I did, buy a Pelican 1010 micro case, and make a small notch right on the edge of the case, so you can insert a USB extension cord through, and still close the lid. Close it, and all that can now break is the extension cord. And since those are cheap to replace... bingo.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 am

Yeah... um.. Waves will eventually help you out. They first tried EVERYTHING to get out of it though.
Zero downtime does NOT cover Waves.

The iLok scenario works quite well if you are patient with it, aside from Waves.
If you have time to sit on hold, get berated for something you wish did not happen, get confusing information from both sides of the fence (waves/ilok) about how to proceed... THEN, it works like a charm!
I dont have time for that kind of shit, and it is really stupid that everyone seems to have worked out a simple solution with Pace/ilok besides fucking waves.

get it together, waves. I like your plugs. I hate your business practices.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:09 am

noeqplease wrote: PS For your iLok that works, do what I did, buy a Pelican 1010 micro case, and make a small notch right on the edge of the case, so you can insert a USB extension cord through, and still close the lid. Close it, and all that can now break is the extension cord. And since those are cheap to replace... bingo.
Brilliant! I think I might try that.

What did you use to cut the hole for the USB cable?

I figure I'd put in some foam rubber to keep the iLok form shaking around in there.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 am

fossiltooth wrote:
noeqplease wrote: PS For your iLok that works, do what I did, buy a Pelican 1010 micro case, and make a small notch right on the edge of the case, so you can insert a USB extension cord through, and still close the lid. Close it, and all that can now break is the extension cord. And since those are cheap to replace... bingo.
Brilliant! I think I might try that.

What did you use to cut the hole for the USB cable?

I figure I'd put in some foam rubber to keep the iLok form shaking around in there.
You can use either a drill, or a Dremel tool. I used a Dremel, and sanded a little afterwards with a hobby sandpaper, 140 grit or so.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

is it common?

Post by pixeltarian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 am

so is it common for the usb connection to become loose?

I had to take mine apart and wrap wire around it to get a good connection...
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:39 pm

would the ilok still be registered on my ilok account though? or does it automatically switch when someone authorizes it and links it to their account?
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:27 pm

pixeltarian wrote:
would the ilok still be registered on my ilok account though? or does it automatically switch when someone authorizes it and links it to their account?
Once an iLok is syncronized to your account you only have 72 hours to remove it. After that it's syncronized to your account forever. The way you remove it is go to What's on my iLok and click on the trashcan icon. Once you do that someone else can syncronize it to their own iLok account.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: is it common?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 pm

pixeltarian wrote:so is it common for the usb connection to become loose?

I had to take mine apart and wrap wire around it to get a good connection...
Only if you are plugging it and unplugging it constantly.

Mine lives in the same spot, and does not get disconnected at all. Have had it for three years now.

Cheers

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 am

I mounted my ilok into a little radio shack project box and bought a panel mount usb jack/cable, mounted that to the project box, then just plugged the ilok inside a sealed it up. Works great. I should market that...ha! Maybe I'll giev the idea to waves, and if you don't pay your wup a guy from waves will come and snip the USB cable.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:31 am

joel hamilton wrote:ilok.... It works pretty well unless it is a waves product
+1000
Only if you are plugging it and unplugging it constantly.

Mine lives in the same spot, and does not get disconnected at all. Have had it for three years now.

isn't that the point of ilok? to bring authorizations with you?
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:06 am

This is why you buy the plugin and never open the box. You install the fully functioning dongle free version from H20 or whatever hacker group is putting it out.

This way you feel good about being legit, your customers get to see the box on the shelf and know you are legit, but you dont deal with the b.s. that goes along with it.

I have been doing this for years and havent had a problem yet.

P.S. - dont flame me, this just works for me.
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com