Cable Covers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Cable Covers

Post by soundhack » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Does anyone have any good solution for across the floor cable covers? I have a room where the cables need to go from the wall under the live room window to the center console about 10 feet away. This is not a highly trafficked area, and I need to run about 8 8-channel snakes.

TIA for any ideas...

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:19 pm

I would personally go with some good ol' fashioned duct tape and maybe a throw rug over top. As long as there's no connections along the way and you're not rolling refrigerator dollies over them, I can't see them getting damaged.

Commercial versions are available in 4' lengths - they're made out of dense rubber or plastic and have jigsaw like cutouts on the ends so you can fit two or more together to span longer distances. In profile they look like trapezoids (flat on the top and sloped at a shallow angle on the sides so you can roll stuff up and over them. The top, flat part is hinged. you throw one down, open the the top and lay your cables, then close it up. The thing is, these don't attach to the floor and are made for temporary installations.

I have a feeling you could find these at a stage supply place. Much bigger ones could be had from film supply houses.

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 pm

thanks for the tips... i searched around a bit and found the cable covers you mentioned here

http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/