sennheiser e906 on bass cabinets and unusual sounds?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

sennheiser e906 on bass cabinets and unusual sounds?

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 am

i play a 6 string fender bass VI style thing. it's a jaguar baritone custom, strung up to be tuned E-E, an octave lower than guitar. i play it somewhere between guitar and bass guitar in style. sort of a vaguely 1970's, heavy mega guitar kind of thing if that makes any sense. it's been described as king crimson playing black sabbath. or maybe the other way around, whatever. psychedelic prog is ok too as a description

the amp im looking to mic up is my gigging amp.. it's a mesa boogie bass 400+ tube head with two 4x10 bass cabinets. it sounds more like a guitar than a bass but has the low end of a bass. and the rest of the sound like a guitar...it's me and a regularly tuned guitarist in the band (and a drummer/vocalist). i use a few different fuzzes and distortions and some effects. id like it to sound on a recording like a guitar amp but with enough low end captured from my amp to represent the low end, just like it does in person when youre in the room with the amp. sort of like if you recorded a guitar and slowed it down so the whole sound got bigger, that's kind of what i sound like. except i dont play slow all the time haha

anyway, im trying to figure out a mic that will work for me. im hesitant to go for the typical bass cab mics cuz i dont think theyre gonna do justice to any of the freq's above 2k in my setup. and i dont want to use 2 mics. this is to make writing demos of stuff at rehearsals and that kind of thing. yes i know a royer would work but i dont have $1k (which is a shame cuz it'd probably rock for this). i barely have $200 for it - LAME. i dont want to need phantom power either

the e906 looks like it'd be great cuz it'll do the guitar thing so well but i dont know how it responds to low frequency stuff. anyone try it on bass cab?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 am

I play baritone as well (although more on the Danelectro/Jerry Jones end of things).

I'd go with a large diaphragm dynamic, like something in the SM7/RE20/PR40 family. That way, you get both high and low ends.

The e906 (which I own) sounds better to me more like a 421 or PR30. Not quite the low or high, but very smooth mids.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 am

kayagum wrote:I play baritone as well (although more on the Danelectro/Jerry Jones end of things).

I'd go with a large diaphragm dynamic, like something in the SM7/RE20/PR40 family. That way, you get both high and low ends.

The e906 (which I own) sounds better to me more like a 421 or PR30. Not quite the low or high, but very smooth mids.
thanks kayagum!
i think an sm7 would not sound too good...not meaty enough. you know how it kind skips over 300 hz a little? i love that mic for a lot of things though, for sure.

i dont know the heil though, maybe i should look into that one. is it more or less hifi than the e906?

wait, you say the e906 sounds better to you...better than what?
the 421 was the other mic i was considering btw

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 am

hey kayagum is baritone your main thing? the VI is pretty much all i play now in terms of bands and touring and stuff

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 am

tiger vomitt wrote:
kayagum wrote:I play baritone as well (although more on the Danelectro/Jerry Jones end of things).

thanks kayagum!
i think an sm7 would not sound too good...not meaty enough. you know how it kind skips over 300 hz a little? i love that mic for a lot of things though, for sure.

i dont know the heil though, maybe i should look into that one. is it more or less hifi than the e906?

wait, you say the e906 sounds better to you...better than what?
the 421 was the other mic i was considering btw
Bad editing on the "better"- I meant "sounds more like"... although I think the e906 is a great guitar amp mic.

The PR30 has a new hand-held model- the PR35, same capsule as the PR30 that might do the trick. It's extremely meaty- however if you're going for the really low, you may want the PR40.

dubsymmetry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dubsymmetry » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:43 am

try a nice LDC, like a neumann tlm103, brauner valvet or phantom (there are many others, but these are the ones I know). out of these I wouldn?t want the neumann if I had the choice though.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 am

dubsymmetry wrote:try a nice LDC, like a neumann tlm103, brauner valvet or phantom (there are many others, but these are the ones I know). out of these I wouldn?t want the neumann if I had the choice though.
HMM GOOD IDEA

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:09 pm

I think you might really like a 421 for this.
Just promise you won't mic up toms with it. haha

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 am

i think a 421 would be great too. was trying to see if something cheaper with a smaller footprint might work too. but it's looking like either a 421 or a heil is gonna be the way. thanks slider jeff

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:22 am

tiger vomitt wrote:hey kayagum is baritone your main thing? the VI is pretty much all i play now in terms of bands and touring and stuff
It pretty much is. I've always detuned even standard guitars (usually drop D or C6, shows my earlier folkie roots), so a baritone actually makes a lot more sense to me. I play A-A, but I often capo the 3rd fret.

The hardest thing for me is to find a distortion/overdrive pedal that can get the full range. You need the full range- low, mid, hi. So far, the best pedals I've used for the baritone has been the SIB Varidrive and the Fulltone OCD. Most guitar distortion pedals chop the lows.

But, man, can you get some great tones with Bass VI and baritones. I also like the fact that it makes room for vocals and other instruments. I went that way for the theater design originally (gotta carve some room for the actors, or they'd get pissy with me), but I know it would be great for vocals/singers.

I've been meaning to get a couple of mp3s posted of a project I did (just me and a drummer) I should get that done so people can hear it.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:31 am

A word for the e906- I use it on bass when I want a little more definition in the midrange than I get from a 421. The e906 doesn't skimp on low end, and it has the switchable eq curve that makes it really versatile. It's a good all-around mic to have. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work for that situation, it will definitely work somewhere else.

I love the SM7, but for some reason it never works on bass guitar for me either. Bass just tends to flab out in the mix when mic'd with an SM7.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Randy wrote:A word for the e906- I use it on bass when I want a little more definition in the midrange than I get from a 421. The e906 doesn't skimp on low end, and it has the switchable eq curve that makes it really versatile. It's a good all-around mic to have. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work for that situation, it will definitely work somewhere else.

I love the SM7, but for some reason it never works on bass guitar for me either. Bass just tends to flab out in the mix when mic'd with an SM7.
awesome

ragnarokzwei
audio school

Post by ragnarokzwei » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:21 am

I would recommend the PR40. I like to use the pr30 on my regular electrics, but for bass, the PR40 is (i think) pretty well liked as a more natural sounding bass mic. So... if a year has passed and you still haven't made a decision (!), go for the heil,
Daniel Page, Guitar Instruction
www.danielpageguitar.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:37 am

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I came across a used Jag baritone in a local guitar store and really loved it, but am still on the fence. I play in a three piece instrumental thing, and I'm finding myself doing lots of chordal things high up the neck on my Fender Jazz. I'm kind of thinking the Jag might be a bit more appropriate for what I'm needing, but for you bass players...how much of a transition was it to go to the baritone? Can you still take care of simple bass stuff on it?

They sure are perty, though.