Arturia Minimoog V

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RyanfromtheShire
audio school

Arturia Minimoog V

Post by RyanfromtheShire » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Is there a way to use your computer keyboard instead of a midi controller? For example, they way you can map keys with Fruity Loops.

I've tried the manual and the only thing it recommends is using the virtual keyboard. Can't really play fast or play chords when you're clicking a mouse....

Any help would be appreciated.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm

RyanfromtheShire
audio school

Post by RyanfromtheShire » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks m8! Big help!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 am

Not sure what your operating system is.

For Win XP, I like MIDI OX and MIDI YOKE (they work together). And they're free:

http://www.midiox.com/

It's worth taking your time and exactly following their install instructions. You're basically fooling the computer into thinking that the software is a new piece of hardware being installed--kind of a different paradigm.
-----
Re chords, sometimes the keyboard itself will refuse to play certain combinations of keys simultaneously. Some chords work, some don't. I'm guessing this can happen regardless of the software you use.

Hope this helps.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

RyanfromtheShire
audio school

Post by RyanfromtheShire » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:10 pm

hmm yeah midiyoke is the only app that the minimoog V recognizes as a midi in...but it's still not working. I have a feeling it's my soundcard for midi out. I'm waiting to get my tascam US-122 back, and then I'll try it again.

Do you know a good place to get ins files from midi-ox?

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:21 pm

RyanfromtheShire wrote:hmm yeah midiyoke is the only app that the minimoog V recognizes as a midi in...but it's still not working. I have a feeling it's my soundcard for midi out. I'm waiting to get my tascam US-122 back, and then I'll try it again.

Do you know a good place to get ins files from midi-ox?
I'm not sure what "ins files" are.

-----
Maybe we can troubleshoot this. Questions:

1. Does the Arturia sound when you play its own keyboard with the mouse? (IF SO, this is probably not a soundcard problem.)

2. Are Midi ox AND Midi yoke both installed? They need to be.

3. Make sure midi ox is SELECTED (so its title bar is dark) when trying to play the computer keyboard. If you most recently selected/used any other app (e.g. the Arturia) midi ox won't work. (Arturia should be open but NOT selected.)

4. Make sure the KEYBOARD ICON in midi ox is turned on. (Click 15th icon from left--picture of a piano keyboard). If it IS turned on, the little red lights on the icon should blink when you press any letter on the computer keyboard.

5. TO MAKE SURE MIDI IS BEING SENT: In Midi ox, click the MAIN OUTPUT MONITOR ICON (5th icon from left). Maximize midi ox. Press any letter on the computer keyboard. A new line of text should appear in the output monitor window each time you hit a key (e.g., "0000ADF5 KEY 3 80 3E 40" etc etc). This shows you what midi message is sent when you strike a particular key.

6. If MIDI isn't being sent (see #5 above): In midi ox, choose OPTIONS, then MIDI DEVICES. If midi yoke is installed, there should be many listings for it under both MIDI INPUTS and MIDI OUTPUTS. (Example: "Out to MIDI Yoke 2.") I suggest choosing one of the MIDI Yoke Outs, and none of the MIDI Yoke Ins. You should see the out you chose show up under PORT MAPPING in this same screen (example: "Out to MIDI Yoke 2").

In the Arturia's MIDI INPUT list, make sure you select MIDI YOke 2 (or whatever # you chose). Don't forget to select (click on) midi ox after this, or nothing will happen. (See #3 above.)

Post back if the above doesn't work, there's probably a fix.

Hope this helps.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 am

I think ins files are cakewalk instrument files. It's been a while. I dunno about ins support in midi-ox.