Looking for a console - BANG FOR BUCK

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Looking for a console - BANG FOR BUCK

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm building a Cubase or ProTools set-up from scratch, and have decided to bypass the rack pre-amp for now and use a console (if I have cash to expend LATER I might buy something nice and tubey). I don't know much about consoles really. I'm going to be using 24-48 tracks but I'm budget restricted... $3-5000 for a console alone is a little out of my league. I need guidance! Here's what I've been looking at... what do you guys think?

Soundcraft Spirit LX7 24 channel
Allen & Heath GL2400
Soundcraft GB2
Soundcraft GB4
Toft ATB-16
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:46 pm

I've done some work with the Allen & Heath, I like it.

I don't know whether it's well publicized or over publicized, but there have been complaints about the Toft ATB boards. I have no opinion, but it might be worth researching.

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by NarxistDan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:13 pm

They cut a lot of corners in the master section on the LX7 and I believe you only get 16 direct outs. Can't comment on the other boards mentioned.
Rehearse More
Edit Less

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:I've done some work with the Allen & Heath, I like it.

I don't know whether it's well publicized or over publicized, but there have been complaints about the Toft ATB boards. I have no opinion, but it might be worth researching.
I owned an ATB24 for about a month. From my experience, my descriptive phrase of choice would be "somewhat adequately." It had a really nice sound but arrived with one side of the master out, a couple iffy channels, and some build issues that suggested to me any repairs I did right then would likely be frequently revisited. This was a recent issue board with the new faders, not a pilot program.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 am

I love my soundtracs topaz.

I have the 24/48 X 8 "miami vice" version. So called for it's distastefully colored knobs. Sounds good, routes a lot of stuff. I use it with the 002/ADAT setup I recommended. Lots of room for 16 tracks out of protools plus I can keep plenty of mics and effects plugged in. It'll be a long while before I need more. They go for 500-800, I think. I got mine for 550.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 am

Hi,

I have the Allen & Heath GL2800-32, which is the model up from the 4 buss GL-2400.

I LOVE it.

The board is essentially the same as the GL2400, except for 8 busses, and an extra pair of Auxes, which have panning for IEM and the like.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 am

An old soundcraft "spirit studio" they even make one with midi automation. I have a friend with one. I have one. Hard to beat. Going for 500-3000.
You'll probly pick one up for a grand or less. the top is monolithic but the channels are discret underthe hood. It can be modded with new ic's and recapped with better caps and then make sure you beef up the power supply. Then you have a board you'd never part with.
Stock, it sounds better than a Topaz, less noise, plenty of routing. I think the Topaz may have some extra routing options though, it's a split because of that.
I've had my spirit since '93. Blew a power supply once, years ago, in '96, but, it was the supplies fault, no problems since.
Harumph!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:04 am

+1 on the Topaz. I have the non Vice version and it rocks...especially for the money. I paid $995 for mine 4 years ago. Now I see them for as little as $750. Great deal!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 am

getreel wrote:+1 on the Topaz. I have the non Vice version and it rocks...especially for the money. I paid $995 for mine 4 years ago. Now I see them for as little as $750. Great deal!
Yep.
I have 32 channel non-miami vice version. Paid $900 for it. Had the power supply rebuilt a few months ago and did the +4 mods. Excellent board.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:30 am

Im in a similar boat except looking to replace a make board. How do the soundcraft pres stack up against the mackie xdr's? Not that thier amazing pre's , thier workable but you can hear were they could be better.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:42 am

Depends on which soundcraft pre you're talking about. I imagine my old Spirit's pre's eat them for lunch. The Spirit is a true plus four board that has to be "unmodded" to make it plus four because they shipped it -10 modded from the factory. It sounds different after you do and a LOT better. I've used Mackie gear and to date have not been impressed, A&H doesn't depress me as much as Mackie, but, it does have a slightly limited bandwidth to my ears.
But, I'm flatulent.
Harumph!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:42 am

Had the power supply rebuilt a few months ago and did the +4 mods.
What do you have to do to rebuild the power supply? I've already done the +4 mods and have no trouble currently. I'm only concerned because of the possiblility of having P/S issues in the future.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm

getreel wrote:
Had the power supply rebuilt a few months ago and did the +4 mods.
What do you have to do to rebuild the power supply? I've already done the +4 mods and have no trouble currently. I'm only concerned because of the possiblility of having P/S issues in the future.
Sent it off to Steve M for him to fix.

Keep in mind, the ps is INSIDE the board. The external piece is only the transformer. So yeah, you have to open it up... but i only came out with one extra screw! not THAT hard, if i was able to do it.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:19 pm

noeqplease wrote:Hi,

I have the Allen & Heath GL2800-32, which is the model up from the 4 buss GL-2400.

I LOVE it.

The board is essentially the same as the GL2400, except for 8 busses, and an extra pair of Auxes, which have panning for IEM and the like.

Cheers
+1 on that.

if you've got tighter budget than that, I'd check out the ZED series too. like this little number:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZED420/

equipped with USB as well!
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks. What's this +4/-10 and power supply modding we're speaking of??? I'm a newb to recording gear, and I'm not sure what kind of mods are common/needed/desirable.

Also can anyone explain what the deal is with modding Octava mics?
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser