"Kick drum" mics... bleh.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:48 pm

I love threads like this...It's a great thing to see people who do this every day talk about what works and what doesn't. I'm tossing a 319 in there next time I have a chance to give that a listen. I usually make a list of a couple things to try when I read posts like this. My favorites for the stuff I tend to record are still a 602 or a D6 sometimes with a LDC out front. I just got a subkick so I'm anxious to try that and see.

I've seen just about every mic mentioned here work well on something (other than a Beta 52...I gave mine away a couple months ago) but it seems like it always depended on the music and the kit that was being recorded. I wish I knew more about drum kits and tuning and stuff but I'm not a drummer.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:02 am

newfuturevintage wrote:
hobbycore wrote: My preference also likely lies in the fact that I really dislike heavily dampened kick drums. Emad, blankets, pillows etc.. bleh. I know plenty of drummers can get a good sound like that, but I really don't like the feeling of it behind the kit.
I'm not saying this to be catty, but that's likely the root of the issue. You're recording: play for the benefit of the recording, not for how you feel behind the kit. Choose the drum, it's tuning, it's treatment (muffling, resonant head on or off, etc), and the mic / pre / EQ / etc. for the sound you want to achieve. Don't lose sight of the fact your ears and the kick mic are hearing vastly different things when you're playing.
That's the greatest thing said on this thread.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:02 am

This thread got me thinking.
When I walk into other engineer's sessions, I usually see mic's setup that I would never use. It also usually sounds great. People have ways of working that are more important than any specific microphone.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:54 am

it's really popular to hate the D112 - BUT as stated above - some engineers just know how to make it work. who am i to argue with tchad blake?
the new rules : there are no rules

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:06 am

or steve albini.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 am

Destroy Big Brother wrote:
newfuturevintage wrote:
hobbycore wrote: My preference also likely lies in the fact that I really dislike heavily dampened kick drums. Emad, blankets, pillows etc.. bleh. I know plenty of drummers can get a good sound like that, but I really don't like the feeling of it behind the kit.
I'm not saying this to be catty, but that's likely the root of the issue. You're recording: play for the benefit of the recording, not for how you feel behind the kit. Choose the drum, it's tuning, it's treatment (muffling, resonant head on or off, etc), and the mic / pre / EQ / etc. for the sound you want to achieve. Don't lose sight of the fact your ears and the kick mic are hearing vastly different things when you're playing.
That's the greatest thing said on this thread.
True.
Slider wrote: People have ways of working that are more important than any specific microphone.
Beyond true.
joninc wrote:it's really popular to hate the D112 - BUT as stated above - some engineers just know how to make it work. who am i to argue with tchad blake?
Actually, it appears that it's very unpopular to hate on the D112. It's just that opinionated loudmouths like myself are such.... loudmouths about it... that we just make it seem like it's popular to hate on the D112.

If you count hands on this thread, you'd probably find that most folks are actually saying... "Hey... I like the d112!"

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Slider wrote:This thread got me thinking.
When I walk into other engineer's sessions, I usually see mic's setup that I would never use. It also usually sounds great. People have ways of working that are more important than any specific microphone.
+1
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:27 pm

If you hate the D112, you must at least try it on your toms.

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:11 pm

I usually start by placing a kosher dill about a half a millimeter from the beater and a broken Playskool cassette recorder three miles east of the resonant head and catch most of the "squelch" of the lugnuts with a bullhorn placed diagonally above an imaginary floor tom in the fourth dimension.
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:13 pm

...actually I'm pretty ignorant on this sort of thing, which is why I just read the whole thread, making notes. I HAVE gotten out of 57s and 58s before, which I'm pretty sure I liked better than the kick sounds I recently got with a Beta 52...
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 am

An SM7b on the inside and a 421 on the batter side, summed at the console, has been the ticket for me the last couple times around. Funny too, cause I hate 421's (I know I'm in the minority on that), but in this application, they seem to rule.

I'm really into the batter side micing now. It gives me the midrange attack that I want without having to EQ. Just blend that with the inside until it sounds cool, sum it together and be done with it.

I can't see how some spend hours setting up and micing kick drums, or any drum, and trying 10 different drums/mics for every song.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 am

I use a 57 because I have no better choice.

mk219 for hip hop kick because it distorts before I even do anything to it! :D
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote: I'm really into the batter side micing now. It gives me the midrange attack that I want without having to EQ. Just blend that with the inside until it sounds cool, sum it together and be done with it.

I can't see how some spend hours setting up and micing kick drums, or any drum, and trying 10 different drums/mics for every song.
I was experimenting with micing the batter side for a few projects. I like the midrange kick tone I was getting but I was not feeling the snare bleed. I would have to tweak the batter mic with gates and if I wanted to EQ or inverting the polarity of the batter mic it would fuck with the snare sound and it seemed to just be more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. I tried different mics and positions and seem to keep running into similar problems. I am really digging the dynamic inside and condenser on the outside lately.

As for your second part, I know! I think this goes back to what Fossiltooth said about have a few pieces of gear and getting to know them really well and then move on to get more stuff if needed.

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

big

Post by C_R_J » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:00 pm

big fan of e602

my 2 cents ;)
time is money and im wasting both...

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

a 602 does have a pretty nice bite. I just heard this mic at the studio im interning at and instantly loved its punch. Great for really quick metal type kick drums. I also like my kickball I just bought.