newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Amen.

Any experience with the Avantones?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:44 pm

If you're JJP they are your snare sound. As for monitoring in mono, I use my Studer or my Panasonic jambox I've wired up- or the Alpine 6" x 9".

There are really a plethora of alternatives.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:49 pm

not a fan.

unf
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:28 am

I had to use a pair as my stereo speakers for a couple months. They don't sound good, really. But you can hear *everything*.

Bob Womack
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Womack » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:50 am

Once again, using the philosophy that the monitor is measured by how it makes you mix, the Auratone works quite well for music. On filma nd video mixes, it can make you mix your music and effects a bit conservatively. We record and EQ with large format monitors then use a 5.1 system, the Auratones and actual TV speaker systems for various video/film mix applications.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:22 pm

newfuturevintage wrote:Amen.

Any experience with the Avantones?
No, I haven't heard them yet, but people have been saying good things. Apparently they're a pretty faithful recreation, with just slightly more extended highs and lows.

I wish a company would make an effort to clone the NS10 as well. The idea of dropping at least $1k for a set of speakers and an amp that are supposed to sound cheap and genuinely annoying just doesn't make sense to me! Anyone who makes a self-powered NS10 clone and markets it well will make a killing. Don't give me any crap about endangered brazillian trees. It's BS. It can be done.
Scodiddly wrote:I had to use a pair as my stereo speakers for a couple months. They don't sound good, really. But you can hear *everything*.
I'm not sure if I agree. If anything, the auratones let you focus on the all-important midrange without getting led astray by the all the sparkle and beef of bigger speakers. You can just think about the true essence of your tones, and how they relate to one another.

I don't actually think they sound bad either. Once you get used to the lack of any real top or bottom on the auratones, they're actually kind of pleasant, even if they're not very fun or exciting. I'd rather listen to music on auratones than laptop speakers or earbuds anyday.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Auratones Rule.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:32 am

fossiltooth wrote:They just do.

That is all.
+1
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 am

rwc wrote:
That looks just like one of my Dad's Theils. They are NICE speakers.
(My Dad's are not cut up like that to show the interior).

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:06 pm

fossiltooth wrote: I wish a company would make an effort to clone the NS10 as well. The idea of dropping at least $1k for a set of speakers and an amp that are supposed to sound cheap and genuinely annoying just doesn't make sense to me! Anyone who makes a self-powered NS10 clone and markets it well will make a killing. Don't give me any crap about endangered brazillian trees. It's BS. It can be done.
They're out there. Never used or heard 'em, but Orange County Speaker used to carry another brand of the knock-offs, as well. I'm pretty sure they're just boxes with the NS10 woofer & tweeter stuck in there.

Edit: I had my contrast on my monitor way down. Upon a second look. Those aren't NS10 tweeters! Something is weird about the woofers, too.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:50 pm

those are StudioSpares, i think?

there's a thread a'ragin' over at Gearslutz about them, to the tune of "they are not real NS-10's, and you've soiled your cred by even looking at them, for shame."
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:30 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:
rwc wrote:
That looks just like one of my Dad's Theils. They are NICE speakers.
(My Dad's are not cut up like that to show the interior).
that's just some stereophile picture. You can see them in my home mix room here.. http://tweakmy.net/demos/mixing/DSC07209.JPG The teddy bear gives final approval. ;)
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Auratones Rule.

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:51 pm

fossiltooth wrote:They just do.

That is all.
+2

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:03 pm

I bought a pair of NS-10M off craigslist for $250 (sold my Event TR6s to a member of Smitty's band to pay for them actually) and an Adcom GFA-545 amplifier (recommended by Jim Williams) for $175. I wouldn't spend a grand on them, but for $425 total I couldn't be happier. I actually enjoy mixing on them, I'm sure I'm in the minority. It's just nice when something translates well from the studio to the car or stereo, and I haven't be able to achieve that with other speakers like my NS-10Ms.

I would like a Auratone or something to check my mixes in mono.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:16 pm

I use a pair of full range 5" cubes I got from Radio Shack ( Optimus?). Not an Auratone, but they sure sounds bad!... :lol: .. They help the translation tho.