NY2A REPAIR !!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

NY2A REPAIR !!!!

Post by dynomike » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Man, I've now fruitlessly called electro-harmonix / new sensor at least 10 times, emailed at least 5, and have talked to Rick via email or phone a few times with only the promise that "we are coming out with a mod that will solve all these issues in a month".

EDIT: (removed some bitching)

NY2A owners, *what is the deal*?!
Last edited by dynomike on Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:28 pm

that sucks. I am sorry to hear that.
I live near enough to new sensor that I will just go up there and get it dealt with. what is yours doing? is it the right channel?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:45 pm

started with the right channel making noises / thresholds way off.

then a fuse blew. i changed the fuse. then it worked perfect... for an hour.

then it stopped passing audio and the magic eye meters lost power. however, other lights come on, etc. but no audio! (except in bypass obviously)

i dunno what to do. i'd take it to a local repair guy except i know electro-harmonix gear is just generally fucked and tricky with parts etc.

:(

-mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri May 16, 2008 10:40 am

A little update:

Apparently they've finished designing the mod at the factory. I only talked to Rick on the phone briefly but he said something about installing a fan and a new power grid... I'm gonna send it out on Tuesday and hope that this does the trick!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri May 16, 2008 4:51 pm

dynomike wrote:A little update:

Apparently they've finished designing the mod at the factory. I only talked to Rick on the phone briefly but he said something about installing a fan and a new power grid... I'm gonna send it out on Tuesday and hope that this does the trick!
Awesome. Let me know how that goes. Rick is great. I am glad you are talking to him...

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:19 pm

TWO MONTHS and dozens of phone calls LATER

They still have my compressor "on the bench" and "it'll be back next week" and "call back tomorrow" and all that bullshit. Do they not have even ONE functional NY2A they could send me? Ridic!!!

Of the 6 months I've owned it, its been properly working maybe a week, kind of working for 2 months, and not working at all for 4 months. What a great sounding piece of shit.

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Like Joel, I also live in NY. I"ve owned my NY2a for about 2 years. I have to say I love it!!!! But it didn't come without problems. The first one blew out and they replaced it. Had the next one for about a year and a half. The same thing happened to me with the fuse. Replaced it but it didn't pass audio. Brought it straight to them. They had it for about 3 weeks. Cut in a silent fan, Changed and upgraded the power supply. replaced some bad caps and tubes. It now works flawlessly for about 2 months. They aren't the best service wise but not the worst either. But to me, this compressor is worth it. As long as it doesn't go down again. Be patient... I know it's hard. But you'll be happy as soon as you throw your first vocal through it.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:17 pm

oh, man. ouch.
Wow.
Yeah, the thing is totally crazy. I love it on certain things, but I agree with you about the PITA factor. If i didnt live near EH, and be able to go up there, I would probably get really frustrated with them.

Rick is your best bet. He is a great guy. I promise.
I hope you get your comp back soon and it is rocking for you. the NY2A has so much potential!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:01 pm

good thing I read this. I actually had that on my wish list
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:12 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:good thing I read this. I actually had that on my wish list
It really is a really, really cool compressor. it does things no other compressor does. the switching of the light source for the opto circuit is genius, and you wind up with a unit that feels like an LA3A (yes, "3", not "2"), then morphs into something like an old altec 436 (not opto, again, I know), and then totally bonkers unlike anything else with the incandescent bulb as the source.
Maybe they will sort out the reliability issues, or you can chance it and have a very unique comp at an incredible price that will fuck up sometimes and make you mad but then work great for a while and you love it again... like a hot summer girlfriend that is cuckoo and drives you nuts but you cant count on her...

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 am

thing is, I can have a short fuse. When stuff is that unreliable I have been known to defenestrate it. See also the discussion of the lexicon Core 2 over in Computer World. :twisted:

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:58 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:thing is, I can have a short fuse. When stuff is that unreliable I have been known to defenestrate it. See also the discussion of the lexicon Core 2 over in Computer World. :twisted:
Off topic, but it makes me happy that there was purpose enough to create the word "defenestrate". Language is impossibly cool.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:07 pm

ledogboy wrote: Language is impossibly cool.
:!:

lacquer_monkey
gettin' sounds

Post by lacquer_monkey » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:13 pm

he didn't create it. it means to pitch something out the window.
uh... what??

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:19 pm

the only word I like better than defenestrate. is defenestration. I've written whole songs about it.

but yeah. EH shit, unreliable. nothing new. I love how they built pedals and hung the board off the pots. So when the pots came loose the guts would rattle...and break.
But man after you rebuild em at least twice they work forever.