***The Eagle Has Landed!!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:03 pm

I can't wait to hear your new stuff David.

Heart of the Matador and Freeze Motherstickers are in pretty much constant rotation here at the ranch. :^:

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:37 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:I can't wait to hear your new stuff David.

Heart of the Matador and Freeze Motherstickers are in pretty much constant rotation here at the ranch. :^:
Thanks, man! I really appreciate that. Though, I should warn you...the new stuff is definitely a departure from either of those records.

[dt]

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 pm

heylow wrote:...the new stuff is definitely a departure from either of those records.
Cool. I believe in evolution. :D

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:38 am

heylow wrote:Ah, last week.....those were the days. :wink:
Really! I hate this part of a cool project. It's like the part of summer camp when your parents get there to pick you up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:51 pm

cgarges wrote:
Really! I hate this part of a cool project. It's like the part of summer camp when your parents get there to pick you up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Yeah....except too bad no one's coming to pick me up...I got a loooonnnggg drive home, man. I got cited for reckless driving on the way to Chapel Hill. I thought ALL driving in NC was considered reckless...dude, I've driven those mountain roads!

Ah hell.

[dt]

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:51 am

heylow wrote:
cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Yeah....except too bad no one's coming to pick me up...I got a loooonnnggg drive home, man. I got cited for reckless driving on the way to Chapel Hill. I thought ALL driving in NC was considered reckless...dude, I've driven those mountain roads!

Ah hell.

[dt]
So true! Have you driven with Garges? That boy is not afraid of the accelarator!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:49 pm

drumsound wrote:So true! Have you driven with Garges? That boy is not afraid of the accelarator!
Maybe, but Dave's "________ in a _______ MPH zone" is really impressive.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:09 pm

cgarges wrote:
drumsound wrote:So true! Have you driven with Garges? That boy is not afraid of the accelarator!
Maybe, but Dave's "________ in a _______ MPH zone" is really impressive.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I have NOT driven with Garges, actually. He might not be fast enough for me. :wink:

I think what garges is too polite to say here is: 92 in a 65 zone.

I think the cop was suitably impressed as well, as he decided to take me down sirens blaring and all. I didn't have the heart to tell the dude I thought 92 was on the conservative side for the week.

I'm in Ohio tonight. I'm hoping I'll be able to post a couple of tunes as soon as I get somewhere that will actually transmit data at a relatively modern speed.

Word.

[dt]

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 am

cool. i am looking forward to hearing the stuff!

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:51 am

Just a quick update on my part of this:

I haven't posted stuff up yet because there is some mastering revision stuff being done. Shouldn't be too long, though.

[dt]

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:22 am

Recent email correspondence with Mitch Easter about Dave's album and the success of the inaugural Amek session:

Me: In fact, we had nine days booked to mix ten songs and we were done in six days. That NEVER happens to me. It really was the total ideal and I wish all my sessions could be like that. Of course, we have mastering revisions, but I'm really happy with this record.

Mitch: Good heavens! And it sounds like the Artiste didn't therefore go into a neurotic worry-fest when you got finished early! You probably need to erect a plaque to that session; it may never happen again.

Also in an unrelated note, Mitch on the grand opening of his brand new Studer 2" machine from the last batch ever made:

The machine came in a big cardboard box with the machine sitting on a pallet. But not just any pallet, this is a Studer pallet, meaning it seems to be made of furniture-grade wood with astounding engineering details. It is screwed together with huge, high-quality screws, and when you take these out, you have to pop the
pieces apart with a hammer due to the excellent fit. But you don't just bash away- there are special curved indentations, calibrated to let you insert a bit of 2 x 4 in just the right spot. Then you see that the contact points with the machine are covered with felt and that the casters are actually suspended off the floor by about 1/4" to prevent any stress in shipping. Holy cow! I just mention this because this message seems to refer to a lot of "we'll probably never see this again..." type information.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:15 pm

cgarges wrote:Recent email correspondence with Mitch Easter about Dave's album and the success of the inaugural Amek session:

Me: In fact, we had nine days booked to mix ten songs and we were done in six days. That NEVER happens to me. It really was the total ideal and I wish all my sessions could be like that. Of course, we have mastering revisions, but I'm really happy with this record.

Mitch: Good heavens! And it sounds like the Artiste didn't therefore go into a neurotic worry-fest when you got finished early! You probably need to erect a plaque to that session; it may never happen again.

Also in an unrelated note, Mitch on the grand opening of his brand new Studer 2" machine from the last batch ever made:

The machine came in a big cardboard box with the machine sitting on a pallet. But not just any pallet, this is a Studer pallet, meaning it seems to be made of furniture-grade wood with astounding engineering details. It is screwed together with huge, high-quality screws, and when you take these out, you have to pop the
pieces apart with a hammer due to the excellent fit. But you don't just bash away- there are special curved indentations, calibrated to let you insert a bit of 2 x 4 in just the right spot. Then you see that the contact points with the machine are covered with felt and that the casters are actually suspended off the floor by about 1/4" to prevent any stress in shipping. Holy cow! I just mention this because this message seems to refer to a lot of "we'll probably never see this again..." type information.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
BWAHAHAHA! :rofl:

Mitch Easter is the King!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:35 pm

cgarges wrote:Recent email correspondence with Mitch Easter about Dave's album and the success of the inaugural Amek session:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Ha!

Neurotic worry-fests at mix time are so passe. I saved all my neurotic worry-fests for mastering. That's where it's at.

[dt]

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:38 pm

I wanted to give this a bump.

I know I have already said this, but mastering has taken kind of a while. We got a bit tweaky with it. I'm down to 2 versions (rev3 and 4) and I'm going to have to figure it out quick because this thing needs to get to pressing.

Ha! I have honestly never gotten this geeky at mastering time....4 passes and countless hours of "what do you think" discussions. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't kind of fun.

But....

Soon! I swear. I think Chris and I are still arguing between rev3 and rev4...ha! That Garges...he's ball buster :wink:

[dt]

heylow
george martin

UGH! Finally!!

Post by heylow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:51 pm

I finally got all this junk out of the way and the first 3 tunes of the record up on the website....all downloadable as well! There are also some pics and stuff from the trip. Go and check it out!

Choose your poison:

The Website

The MySpace

As most of you probably already know, Chris Garges played drums and percussion and mixed the record.

Oh....and you guys with MySpace sites, hit me up. I totally didn't realize how many of you guys were out there.

[dt]