***The Eagle Has Landed!!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 28, 2008 12:47 am

So, I've got a few really good pictures of the move and an exciting story about it, but it will have to wait because I'm crazy beat. Anyway, here she is, in her new home, all powered-up.

As you can see, the control room is still a wreck and we've still got some wiring to do, but everything seems perfectly functional so far. We've got a bit of ground noise in the monitors and tomorrow we'll be crawling around under the building, running conduit so we can put the power supplies in the back of the building (the two fans on the console supply are unbelievably noisy). But all the channels are in place and passing signal. The main left and right input of the headphone setup seems to be working just fine, and both the studio monitor sends seem to be working just fine, too (except for the ground noise).

More tomorrow.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 am

Chris, FWIW this is one of the coolest threads I've seen here - thanks for posting pics and stories along the way. The Angela looks incredible in your control room, man. Looking forward to your story about the move.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 am

Chris, FWIW this is one of the coolest threads I've seen here - thanks for posting pics and stories along the way. The Angela looks incredible in your control room, man. Looking forward to your story about the move.
+1

Me too.

THANKS!!!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks, guys. Man, I need to find the time to tell the "moving in" story.

Anyway, here are photos from today. We decided against running conduit today, since it was raining. Instead, Rob got the hole cut in the bottom of the patchbay bucket to pass the cables from the outboard bays through. He cut an 8" by 5" rectangle using existing holes (cut for ECLOs and D-sub connectors) for the corners and fitted a sliced outer shell from a strand of Mogami 2549 as edging for the hole (after filing it, as well). Once the hole was cut, we dropped the outboard bays in place, fed the cable through the holes, and laid the cable out to go to the appropriate gear racks, which are still pulled out from the walls. (I'll probably connect most of it tomorrow.)

As such, we now have the patchbays full, but there's plenty of room in the bottom of the patchbay bucket. Good planning.

I'm still one more patchbay label revision away from having the labels exactly as I want them.

The couple who sold me the console had a small painting of the Virgin Mary in a wallet photo holder and they made a kind of big deal about giving it to me so she could stay with the console. We taped her to the patchbay panel in transit and today, I pulled her out of the wallet holder and dropped her behind the plexiglass meter bridge cover, next to the talkback mic. So, that's where she'll live.

Rob has to get caught up in his shop, since he's got people complaining about me monopolizing his time, so we'll get back to work on the conduit on Monday. I need to finish up the RADAR harnesses and the headphone auxes, but we're close. We kind of have to be since I've got a session next Sunday.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed May 28, 2008 8:08 pm

cgarges wrote: Image

Coolest thing about the whole board right now, imho. Hands down. I am not joking. Please say it stays. If it didn't already, that console now has mojo. Cool.

See...I'm a huge fan of that kind of art and a huge fan of Clutch. This is about as close as you can get to "Jesus on the dashboard" (see song, Spacegrass).

Anyways....I'm digging the updates....almost sort of nervously now. :wink:

[dt]

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Console looks great in there Chris.
There's some good karma in that room.
Good luck!
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 pm

So, the power supplies are now located in the back room with conduit securely in place under the building. We fired it up and nothing exploded, so I think we're almost in the clear. We decided to have a licensed electrician out to install a dedicated outlet in the room with the power supplies that ties into the audio circuit breaker box. Hopefully, that will happen Friday.

As of now, everything is hooked-up except for one of the effects racks, the B&W monitors (need to get some banana plug connectors for the new speaker wire), and the Furman cue system aux sends. (Looks like I need to order some more 4-pair for that.)

Right now, we've got an odd buzz in the NS10s and a bit of a crosstalk issue in the two-track returns, so I'll need to start looking into what's going on there once I get the last effects rack re-wired. The buzz could be any number of things and was happening before we moved the power supplies to the back of the building. The buzz is there, even if the console is off.

As far as the crosstalk issue goes, we're getting a very small amount of signal from the two Masterlinks we have hooked up right now, even without those two-track returns selected. We even get it if the console's not turned-on (but with the amp on), which suggests that signal may be getting sent to the ground somehow. All the individual cables check out, so now I've got to dive into the patchbay. Those are points that I didn't mess with, so I'm not sure what's up.

I'll try to take some more pictures of all the connectors, etc. tomorrow.

Step by step...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37 am

Sorry I've slacked. There's a lot to catch up on.

I've filled in some of the gaps in earlier posts a bit (still got some more of that to do) so there's more information about the moves.

I did my first session on it yesterday-- a simple saxophone demo. I do these about once a month for a friend who does reviews for Jazz Improv magazine. He's got a series of recordings auditioning different mouthpieces and whatnot. For the most part, this session just sort of ensured that the headphones and talkback were working, but it went of without a hitch.

Tomorrow, I start the real stuff, mixing a full-length album for David Tomaloff. We've got a little more than a week to work on ten songs and all the files he sent me (ahead of time) loaded-up and opened with zero problems. The discs and track sheets were well-organized and mixing this ought to be a lot of fun. The stuff sounds great.

More later.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 am

Exiting times Chris congrats.
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks, Greg for the kind words and thanks for adding to my gear addiction by supplying me with one of your fine MS Matrix boxes. I'll be taking delivery of it tomorrow and can't wait to use it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:16 pm

I can't wait to hear those mixes. And the stories of the mixes...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:52 am

TELL THE MOVING IN STORY!!!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:49 pm

It's gonna take awhile to get all the photos together of the move-in and I've been busting ass to get everything totally ready for my sessions that started today. I will get them up and I'll have the story here for you all, as well.

I had my first session today, starting to mix the new David Tomaloff record. I'm incredibly happy with how it went. I totally expected to get one song done and then leave it up to check out tomorrow, but we had the first one in the can by 7 o-clock, so we moved on and got the second one wrapped by about 12:30. Everybody seems really excited about it. The console is really a joy to work on. I've found two small issues that I hadn't detected before, but I swapped some channels around and everything's rolling along just fine. Rob replaced the control room volume pot yesterday, cleaned a couple of dirty pots, and re-soldered one set of fader connections. Those channels are working well. The hi and low-pass filters on this desk are a blast and I'm totally jazzed about the EQs, too. All the routing is working great and everything just seems easier.

I'm also spoiled by the new gear additions. It's CRAZY to have three channels of Sontec equalizers going and the Bryston amp sounds terrific on my B&W speakers. I'm also making use of my new Electrical Audio MS Matrix, lovingly crafted by Greg Norman. The thing works like a charm. I should have bought one of these things a long time ago.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:43 am

cgarges wrote:It's gonna take awhile to get all the photos together of the move-in and I've been busting ass to get everything totally ready for my sessions that started today. I will get them up and I'll have the story here for you all, as well.

I had my first session today, starting to mix the new David Tomaloff record. I'm incredibly happy with how it went. I totally expected to get one song done and then leave it up to check out tomorrow, but we had the first one in the can by 7 o-clock, so we moved on and got the second one wrapped by about 12:30. Everybody seems really excited about it. The console is really a joy to work on. I've found two small issues that I hadn't detected before, but I swapped some channels around and everything's rolling along just fine. Rob replaced the control room volume pot yesterday, cleaned a couple of dirty pots, and re-soldered one set of fader connections. Those channels are working well. The hi and low-pass filters on this desk are a blast and I'm totally jazzed about the EQs, too. All the routing is working great and everything just seems easier.

I'm also spoiled by the new gear additions. It's CRAZY to have three channels of Sontec equalizers going and the Bryston amp sounds terrific on my B&W speakers. I'm also making use of my new Electrical Audio MS Matrix, lovingly crafted by Greg Norman. The thing works like a charm. I should have bought one of these things a long time ago.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Ha! How did I know you'd be here!

From my perspective, mixing went really great. That console really does sound terrific...as does everything else! Kudos to Greg Norman as well on the Electrical Audio MS Matrix....very nice piece, indeed. I did a lot of zoning on the pretty lights.

Garges in the zone:

[dt]

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Awesome! I'm reading all this for the first time...congrats Chris, that's a cool looking console. Next up, you gotta post some tracks.