***The Eagle Has Landed!!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Post Reply
User avatar
rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory
Posts: 2790
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Corrales, NM

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Wow! You said it was going to be a departure from the Dammitheads stuff and it is! And it's beautiful! You, my friend, are a great songwriter. My hat's off to you and to Mr. Garges too for a lovely job behind the desk and the drums!

I just pre-ordered.

Kudos gentlemen! :^:

cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10820
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by cgarges » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 am

Thanks, kind sir. I've said it before and I'll say it again: David's got a very cool record on his hands.

On topic, the console took a beer in the first four channels on Monday night. I totally freaked out, since I didn't even realize the beer was in the vacinity of the console, and apparently, neither did the guy who knocked it over. Fortunately, I was quick on the draw to mute everything, pull the master, phones and control room volume before running back to shut off the power supplies. After going outside to call Rob Preston (our tech) and calm down, I headed back inside, pulled the modules and cleaned them as thoroughly as I could. After getting a return call from Rob, I powered up the console and everything seemed fine without the first four channels in place. Powered everything down and installed each of the hit channels individually, testing as we went. Everything worked fine and I've done sessions every day since. Nothing seems affected.

We did get a shoddy control room volume pot (a N.O.S. pot from Audio Maintenance) after replacing the one that was originally in the console that will have to be replaced again, but everything else is working well. A couple little bugs here and there, but nothing major. I'm still loving working on this thing and mixes seem to be translating better outside of the studio now, which doesn't make much sense to me, but hey, I'll take it!

Buy David's new record. And while you're at it, buy his old ones, too. They're all really good.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

User avatar
heylow
george martin
Posts: 1265
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: The Dreadful Midwest
Contact:

Post by heylow » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Mark...

Thanks, man! I really appreciate the compliments. Actually the songwriter thing is probably about the best compliment I could get these days as far as I'm concerned.


Chris...

I still can't believe that, man....that's just totally nuts. Of course it's the new gear...it's always the new gear.


[dt]

User avatar
alex matson
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:12 pm
Location: portland

Post by alex matson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:20 pm

cgarges wrote:Thanks, kind sir. I've said it before and I'll say it again: David's got a very cool record on his hands.

On topic, the console took a beer in the first four channels on Monday night. I totally freaked out, since I didn't even realize the beer was in the vacinity of the console, and apparently, neither did the guy who knocked it over. Fortunately, I was quick on the draw to mute everything, pull the master, phones and control room volume before running back to shut off the power supplies. After going outside to call Rob Preston (our tech) and calm down, I headed back inside, pulled the modules and cleaned them as thoroughly as I could. After getting a return call from Rob, I powered up the console and everything seemed fine without the first four channels in place. Powered everything down and installed each of the hit channels individually, testing as we went. Everything worked fine and I've done sessions every day since. Nothing seems affected.
With hat in hand, I have to ask how anyone could possibly consider placing a drink near a console. This reminds me of coming home last year to find that a new roommate had taken a plunger to the garbage disposal, forcing nasty water to leak out of the pipes and into my piano downstairs. I try not to let my temper get the best of me...and that experience was definitely a challenge as it was the third water problem I'd had here.
*looks around basement room, now with even more stuff in it*

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5241
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:30 pm

alex matson wrote:
cgarges wrote:Thanks, kind sir. I've said it before and I'll say it again: David's got a very cool record on his hands.

On topic, the console took a beer in the first four channels on Monday night. I totally freaked out, since I didn't even realize the beer was in the vacinity of the console, and apparently, neither did the guy who knocked it over. Fortunately, I was quick on the draw to mute everything, pull the master, phones and control room volume before running back to shut off the power supplies. After going outside to call Rob Preston (our tech) and calm down, I headed back inside, pulled the modules and cleaned them as thoroughly as I could. After getting a return call from Rob, I powered up the console and everything seemed fine without the first four channels in place. Powered everything down and installed each of the hit channels individually, testing as we went. Everything worked fine and I've done sessions every day since. Nothing seems affected.
With hat in hand, I have to ask how anyone could possibly consider placing a drink near a console. This reminds me of coming home last year to find that a new roommate had taken a plunger to the garbage disposal, forcing nasty water to leak out of the pipes and into my piano downstairs. I try not to let my temper get the best of me...and that experience was definitely a challenge as it was the third water problem I'd had here.
*looks around basement room, now with even more stuff in it*
totally, how could someone think that was ok? And damn, sucktown about the plunger incident... With how much I drink, and the bands i record drink, i'm surpised that it hasn't happend here, but granted my "console" has a much smaller footprint, less room for peoplle casually place a drink on.. but the carpet... thats another story..

rwc
resurrected
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:21 pm
Location: Bed Stuy, Brooklyn

Post by rwc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:16 pm

alex matson wrote:
cgarges wrote:Thanks, kind sir. I've said it before and I'll say it again: David's got a very cool record on his hands.

On topic, the console took a beer in the first four channels on Monday night. I totally freaked out, since I didn't even realize the beer was in the vacinity of the console, and apparently, neither did the guy who knocked it over. Fortunately, I was quick on the draw to mute everything, pull the master, phones and control room volume before running back to shut off the power supplies. After going outside to call Rob Preston (our tech) and calm down, I headed back inside, pulled the modules and cleaned them as thoroughly as I could. After getting a return call from Rob, I powered up the console and everything seemed fine without the first four channels in place. Powered everything down and installed each of the hit channels individually, testing as we went. Everything worked fine and I've done sessions every day since. Nothing seems affected.
With hat in hand, I have to ask how anyone could possibly consider placing a drink near a console. This reminds me of coming home last year to find that a new roommate had taken a plunger to the garbage disposal, forcing nasty water to leak out of the pipes and into my piano downstairs. I try not to let my temper get the best of me...and that experience was definitely a challenge as it was the third water problem I'd had here.
*looks around basement room, now with even more stuff in it*
while cleaning the flying fuckers on a VR, my coworker noticed the reason one of them fucked up on the test was because it was filled with ink from a ballpoint pen. I found some surprises in the ones I opened too.

what people do at freelance friendly studios...
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

channelcat
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: EARS Chicago
Contact:

Post by channelcat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:20 pm

alex matson wrote:With hat in hand, I have to ask how anyone could possibly consider placing a drink near a console. This reminds me of coming home last year to find that a new roommate had taken a plunger to the garbage disposal, forcing nasty water to leak out of the pipes and into my piano downstairs. I try not to let my temper get the best of me...and that experience was definitely a challenge as it was the third water problem I'd had here.
*looks around basement room, now with even more stuff in it*
Alex - I feel for you. Not too long ago, my wife, aka Ramrod "The Blind Button Pusher", busted the toilet, and almost killed my Marshall 1974X. Though I didn't have it directly under the terlet, the water made its way through the floor and travelled along the top of the ductwork before hitting the floor, @ 6" from the amp. It's now located on the opposite side of the basement now, which worked out better, since the amp no longer rattles the ductwork, or at least not as much.

Chris - What the frick were they thinking! Time to post basic studio rules for the dipshits, hopefully they can read. Drinks usually go on the floor here; if they tip, they're not going to ruin anything - I gave up on carpet a couple years ago (because of minor flooding, not beer). Glad to hear the channels are back up and running, though.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

channelcat
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: EARS Chicago
Contact:

Post by channelcat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:50 pm

David - You got some solid tracks there! You should be proud. I'll be picking up the album for sure.

Chris - Great work all around! BGV and steel sound real nice in the mix. Dig the bells on the first tune, too.

Stu
*wishing he knew a pedal steel player*
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

User avatar
heylow
george martin
Posts: 1265
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: The Dreadful Midwest
Contact:

Post by heylow » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:21 pm

channelcat wrote:David - You got some solid tracks there! You should be proud. I'll be picking up the album for sure.

Chris - Great work all around! BGV and steel sound real nice in the mix. Dig the bells on the first tune, too.

Stu
*wishing he knew a pedal steel player*
Much appreciated, Stu! Thanks!

I was wishing I knew a steel player too....luckily Chris came through with Bob Barone. Bob is really phenomenal. Bob and Chris knocked out all the steel in a day....and that was complete with extras like dobro and lap steel.


Sort of on topic....

Chris, did you ever get that LED mod stuff sussed out? Last I heard, you were trying to source the stuff.




[dt]

cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10820
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:23 am

The beer in the console thing was a really interesting case. I'm generally of the mindset that people should be comfortable in the studio and I don't like having rules like "no food or drinks in the studio." My general rule is that if something gets spilled, don't try to hide it. Let everyone know so that it can be taken care of ASAP. Generally speaking, I think that the comfort factor of a studio can outweigh the general risks in those departments, in terms of expenditures and returns. I know that may be a big source of controversy, but I'd rather not get into it here. There was another thread about that not too long ago.

The silly part is that the person responsible for putting the beer there (and again, I didn't realize it was there) was someone who REALLY knew better. I could have predicted this happening with any number of seemingly irresponsible people I've recorded over the years, but I never could have seen it coming from this person and it was a simple, but unfortunate mistake. As such, I still TOTALLY allow drinks in the control room and would let this same guy near the console with a beer again.

channelcat wrote:Chris - Great work all around! BGV and steel sound real nice in the mix. Dig the bells on the first tune, too.

Stu
*wishing he knew a pedal steel player*
Thanks. I think those bells were the little ones on the wooden frames in the photo album. (I think they're from Pakistan. I bought them at 10,000 Villages.) There are also some sleigh bells if I remember correctly. Those bells were kind of all over the breakdown part and in a bit more of the song and we took some of them out in the mix. There's an awful lot of that kind of percussion on the record. And yes, TWO cowbells on one song.

Hey Dave, what happened to the recording log? I thought that was pretty cool!
heylow wrote:I was wishing I knew a steel player too....luckily Chris came through with Bob Barone. Bob is really phenomenal. Bob and Chris knocked out all the steel in a day....and that was complete with extras like dobro and lap steel.
Bob's totally great! He's a real hard worker and totally enthusiastic. If you want pedal steel on some stuff, he's a good guy to deal with. He doesn't just sound like and old Nashville guy. He can do really nice, modern-sounding things as well as all the classic stuff. He's a real student of the instrument and his gear always sounds great. Plus, he's a really funny guy to have on a session. I don't think he has a home setup of any kind, but I think he got all of Dave's stuff done in a day out at Old House. How many tunes was that, Dave, like 5 or 6? More than that?

You know, I think Dave started a thread in "Listening" where it may be more appropriate to discuss his kind of stuff.

It's here:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=57292
heylow wrote:Chris, did you ever get that LED mod stuff sussed out? Last I heard, you were trying to source the stuff.
Well, we actually discovered that someone had already done such a modification to the mute group master in the center section, so it will totally work. Looks like just one resistor in line under the switch. We'll be doing the same thing to all the channels once I can find a source for small-order LEDs. I'd really like to see what a few different-colored LEDs look like in those switches, but all the places I've found so far have 10-bulb minimums. I'd love to just order a couple red, a couple blue, and a couple green ones, just to see what looks good before I order 36 of them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 am

cgarges wrote:
heylow wrote:Chris, did you ever get that LED mod stuff sussed out? Last I heard, you were trying to source the stuff.
I'd really like to see what a few different-colored LEDs look like in those switches, but all the places I've found so far have 10-bulb minimums.
even Mouser?

cos i don't see a minimum order indicated for their LED incandescent replacements.

http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.asp ... s=P_SField
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10820
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by cgarges » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:13 pm

I can't find the appropriate bulbs on those pages. They need to be t5.5 slide-type LEDs.

I did update some of the moving stories and whatnot. I still need to get the "moving into the studio" story happening (with pictures).

Things have been going well. It seems like most of the little bugs that we had went completely away after replacing the power filter caps in the master module. I'm now looking into just going ahead and recapping the whole thing, a couple of modules at a time. Everything seemed to measure just fine and none of the caps appear swollen or leaky, but we're going to go ahead and do it all, just to have it done.

I'm still super-excited about this console and incredibly happy that we bought it. It was totally the right move for us.

More later!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests