***The Eagle Has Landed!!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that's not Chris in the picture. I don't see any Chuck Taylors.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 pm

mjau wrote:I'm pretty sure that's not Chris in the picture. I don't see any Chuck Taylors.
That IS odd. I can't really see my feet in the photo. I think maybe I had them tucked up on the center post of the chair. I can kind of see one of them (the bottom of my left foot, methinks), but not the other. I can guarantee, though, that I was totally wearing black Chucks.

Things are going great. Learning some interesting things about the console that I wasn't aware of before. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the mute grouping on stuff and still learning the multitude of routing possibilities. The console itself sounds great. I love that you can turn the EQ knobs like, REALLY a long way and it actually sounds good.

Got into a couple of mixes today where I was able to experiment with really bordering on overloading the line inputs and bringing the faders back. Cool sound for certain things. Still making large use of the channel filters and for all you Dynacord fanatics out there, "Hot Chicken Mix" has made two appearances on the record.
inverseroom wrote:Awesome! I'm reading all this for the first time...congrats Chris, that's a cool looking console. Next up, you gotta post some tracks.
Thanks, John! As for posting tracks, that will be up to David, as it's his stuff, but I can totally say without hesitation that he's got one hell of a good record on his hands and you should totally run out and buy it as soon as it's available. I'm really psyched about this project and I'm glad I was able to make this one happen on the console first.

In fact, we were intending to work a schedule of just about a song a day and we're four days into it and have seven songs done. We even have alternate versions of a few of them, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:42 am

*squints eyes and puts hands up in front of face*

Who the hell is Angela ?? :lol:
- Brad

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:46 pm

cgarges wrote:
mjau wrote:I'm pretty sure that's not Chris in the picture. I don't see any Chuck Taylors.
That IS odd. I can't really see my feet in the photo. I think maybe I had them tucked up on the center post of the chair. I can kind of see one of them (the bottom of my left foot, methinks), but not the other. I can guarantee, though, that I was totally wearing black Chucks.

Things are going great. Learning some interesting things about the console that I wasn't aware of before. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the mute grouping on stuff and still learning the multitude of routing possibilities. The console itself sounds great. I love that you can turn the EQ knobs like, REALLY a long way and it actually sounds good.

Got into a couple of mixes today where I was able to experiment with really bordering on overloading the line inputs and bringing the faders back. Cool sound for certain things. Still making large use of the channel filters and for all you Dynacord fanatics out there, "Hot Chicken Mix" has made two appearances on the record.
The Chucks are totally there. Plus, you can practically see Chris just about turning around to tell you some really funny story that almost sort of relates to something going on in the mix....a story about....hmmmm....."Hot Chicken Mix", for instance. Heh!

Hot Chicken Mix.

cgarges wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Awesome! I'm reading all this for the first time...congrats Chris, that's a cool looking console. Next up, you gotta post some tracks.
Thanks, John! As for posting tracks, that will be up to David, as it's his stuff, but I can totally say without hesitation that he's got one hell of a good record on his hands and you should totally run out and buy it as soon as it's available. I'm really psyched about this project and I'm glad I was able to make this one happen on the console first.

In fact, we were intending to work a schedule of just about a song a day and we're four days into it and have seven songs done. We even have alternate versions of a few of them, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Wow...thanks Chris...much appreciated! I'm really stoked at how it's come out. Truth be told though, Chris has had so much to do with the record coming out so well on so many fronts.

We master next week, so the record will be done and I'll certainly be posting up songs on my website for some pre-release listening. Not to be all self-pitchy or whatever, but that just makes the most sense to me. I can definitely post something here as soon as I do that for those interested.

Man, this week is just flying by.

[dt]

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 pm

cgarges wrote:Dynacord fanatics out there, "Hot Chicken Mix" has made two appearances on the record.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Schweet!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Garges on the scene....the PROOF!

Chris with tell-tale Chucks:

And, for fun....

Max, the OTHER cool cat at Old House:
Max don't wear Chucks. He doesn't want to.

[dt]

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 am

bradjacob wrote:*squints eyes and puts hands up in front of face*

Guess this is one of those "club-member" types of posts.
- Brad

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:30 am

heylow wrote:Max don't wear Chucks. He doesn't want to.
I don't think they make Chucks big enough for his paws.

I like that in that control room picture, you can see the 1984 Fisher Price Karaoke machine through the window.
bradjacob wrote:
Guess this is one of those "club-member" types of posts.
The console is an Amek Angela, which I mentioned on page two.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 am

Max looks like he's all cooled-out on catnip...yeah. 8)
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:23 am

edited becuz redundant
Last edited by dsw on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:21 am

KennyLusk wrote:Max looks like he's all cooled-out on catnip...yeah. 8)
Ha! The funny part is that Max almost never opens his eyes much at all unless he thinks he might need to kick some ass. He's a big frick'n dude, too...that's no joke about the Chucks not being big enough for those paws!

I like max...no one tells him he isn't actually a grey tiger so he goes on about his day pretty much like a big grey tiger might.

[dt]

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:42 pm

OT:

Davids stuff is ALL awesome. Highly recommended music. For sure.
I worked on one of his records, and I still listen to it all the time. Great person, great record. This guy has a great voice and writes cool songs. What else do you need?

(a good engineer like garges mixing it...)

okay, back on topic now (SORT OF)

Every time you type "angela" I hear it in Tony Danza's voice...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:34 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Davids stuff is ALL awesome. Highly recommended music. For sure.
I worked on one of his records, and I still listen to it all the time. Great person, great record. This guy has a great voice and writes cool songs. What else do you need?

(a good engineer like garges mixing it...)
Aw, shucks.

Well, it doesn't hurt that he's a great guy to hang out with, either.
joel hamilton wrote:Every time you type "angela" I hear it in Tony Danza's voice...
I was fortunate enough to never watch any shows with Tony Danza in them, so I don't have that same hangup.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Tony Danza
audio school

Post by Tony Danza » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:26 am

Hey, thanks guys. Good to be back on top.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Tony Danza wrote:Hey, thanks guys. Good to be back on top.

Holy shit...it's Tony Danza. No, really....it must be cuz I read it on the internet. Wait'll I tell my mom Tony Danza signed my internet!!

On a side note, thanks for the kind words, you dooods. Mixing is officially over and done....up next, mastering with Brent Lambert!

On topic, I got to play with the console myself for a while today....very smooth and steady piece, that one....yessir! I'm thinkin' I would love me some RADAR as well. Hell, I'll take 2 of each.

Ah, last week.....those were the days. :wink:

[dt]