Recommended compressor for voice recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

5thString
studio intern

Recommended compressor for voice recording?

Post by 5thString » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 am

Good Morning.

Here's my setup for recording my voice:
Mics: sm57, sm81 (yes, I do!) and M-Audio Solaris.
Preamp: Moded PreSonus MP20 - swapped the input opamps for LT1357. The sound is very clear, detailed, with not much coloration.
A/D: M-Audio Firewire Solo (* Cough * Don't blame - I'm going to change that soon)

I'm looking for a compressor that'll help from simply warming up to dramatically color my voice on pop/soul songs (I'm working on some Stax & Motown stuff right now, Terence Trent d'Arby's "Dance Little Sister" too, that should give you an idea of what's recorded).

As most home studders I'm on a budget but I will consider any middle- to High-end gear anyway. So I'd really like to have inputs on some decent-for-the-price to some more expensive gear.

Thanks!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 02, 2008 7:11 am

This may not be what you want to hear but the best thing you can do is save up for a really good comp. I suffered through trying to get good results with budget comps for years. Then I bought an LA3A. Life is much better now.
Failing that maybe look at some of the older DBX units, 163, 163X, and of course the 160 (with any letter at the end).
If you go with something cheap I'd leave it out of the input stage (ie: don't use it while tracking) and put it to use in mixing. For your style of music you will get better results with volume automaton or riding the fader combined with light compression. This goes double if the compressor isn't that great. The trick with cheap comps is to not make them work too hard. Also consider using a plug in doing a few DB of light compression combined with an outboard comp doing the same.

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Fri May 02, 2008 7:36 am

junkshop wrote:This may not be what you want to hear

[...]
This is exactly what I want to hear/read! I need advice, so I appreciate your answer. If the consensus here is that I should wait until I have the money to buy serious stuff, then I'll think twice before buying anything. That's mostly why I wrote that I want some high-end references too. I need to know the names so that I can make a wise decision.

Thanks!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 02, 2008 8:57 am

Once you get above the prosumer level it's more a matter of personal taste than anything. You can't go wrong with many of the big names -1176, LA2A, LA3A, Distressor, DBX 160, etc, etc.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri May 02, 2008 8:18 pm

chandler germanium compressor, i recently got one and love it on vocals.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri May 02, 2008 8:42 pm

on the cheap: URS classic console strip pro. $500, has every compressor one might ever need in it!

hardware: LA2A, LA3A.

I'd rather use a plugin than cheap hardware. I'd suggest you either save up for a good compressor, or use good emulations of great compressors.

It's kind of stupid to suggest a certain compressor without hearing that specific set of tracks, and knowing what you are going for. For all I know the compression you get from overloading the line-in jack on an iriver or iaudio mp3 player might be what you're looking for. But practically speaking, nothing is as universally applicable and kickass as a 33609, or LA3A, or distressor..
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

freakmech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by freakmech » Fri May 02, 2008 10:04 pm

As far as bang for the buck goes, a DBX 160A can be had for $400, or look for a used 160. And these things work well on alot of signals.

On the higher end you really cant go wrong with the EL Distressor. $1300 and these are being used by every one these days, with good results.
Friends dont let friends buy when they can build!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 pm

Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Mon May 05, 2008 4:28 am

Babaluma wrote:chandler germanium compressor, i recently got one and love it on vocals.
Hmmm.... I've been lurking on this one for some time now. Definitely on top of my "To Buy" list.
Missed it... :cry:

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Mon May 05, 2008 5:45 am

5thString wrote:
Babaluma wrote:chandler germanium compressor, i recently got one and love it on vocals.
Hmmm.... I've been lurking on this one for some time now. Definitely on top of my "To Buy" list.
well, to come clean, this is the first ever piece of "pro" studio eqipment i have bought, but i reseached it fully first, and have not been let down in any way. it definitely has it's own coloured sound, but it's a colour i really like :lol: i like it so much i'm currently saving up for another so i can play with stereo and m/s techniques. so far i have loved it on vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, di'd bass and drum machine.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 am

If you want to hear the gear, those classic high ender's are sometimes a good choice. To me it depends on the results you want and the talent level in front of the mic. For the good ones, I live on used Aphex Expressor 651's. They work like there's a little man inside running a fader up and down who's smarter and faster than I am. Extremely transparent, maybe too much so for those wanting the leveler to "do something" to the sound besides control dynamics. They tend to sell for less used than 160X, typically $200 or less and have an extreme amount of adjustment range.
For those less worthy, whatever works. Some of these flavor box high end levelers cost more than the talent in front of them.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Mon May 05, 2008 7:33 am

* Takes notes *

Thanks! 8)

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Recommended compressor for voice recording?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 05, 2008 10:13 am

5thString wrote:Good Morning.

Here's my setup for recording my voice:
Mics: sm57, sm81 (yes, I do!) and M-Audio Solaris.
Preamp: Moded PreSonus MP20 - swapped the input opamps for LT1357. The sound is very clear, detailed, with not much coloration.
A/D: M-Audio Firewire Solo (* Cough * Don't blame - I'm going to change that soon)

I'm looking for a compressor that'll help from simply warming up to dramatically color my voice on pop/soul songs (I'm working on some Stax & Motown stuff right now, Terence Trent d'Arby's "Dance Little Sister" too, that should give you an idea of what's recorded).

As most home studders I'm on a budget but I will consider any middle- to High-end gear anyway. So I'd really like to have inputs on some decent-for-the-price to some more expensive gear.

Thanks!
Teletronix LA2A (Now Universal Audio.)
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue May 06, 2008 5:46 am

If you want cheap color, the RNLA is pretty cool. For tracking, it sounds like you're tracking on tape. Haven't done 2 track mixdowns through it, but for that price, it's plenty worth it for a tracking option alone.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed May 07, 2008 1:30 pm

also check out the ADL 1000 for a really nice opto comp in the family of LA2A but cleaner - and much cheaper. you can find em for $800 - $900 used. daniel lanois and tchad blake use em.

makes vocals so big and happy. great on bass/acoustic and electric guitars/snare/kick.
the new rules : there are no rules