Recommended compressor for voice recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed May 07, 2008 2:39 pm

You know, I'm really impressed with my new LA610. I had a M610 for some time, but the compressor is really useful. It works great on giving that all import "warmth" to vocals and is also an amazing bass DI.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mdavenue
audio school graduate

cheapish compressors

Post by mdavenue » Thu May 08, 2008 2:03 pm

There's always the RNC. I've gotten some good vocal compression in supernice mode.

I also can recommend the Focusrite TrackMaster. It's a channel strip that includes a pretty good pre-amp and incredibly simple (2 knobs) compressor. I've seen 'em for around $300, which is a great price given that you can't touch any focusrite preamp for that amount.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: cheapish compressors

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 09, 2008 8:26 am

mdavenue wrote:There's always the RNC. I've gotten some good vocal compression in supernice mode.

I also can recommend the Focusrite TrackMaster. It's a channel strip that includes a pretty good pre-amp and incredibly simple (2 knobs) compressor. I've seen 'em for around $300, which is a great price given that you can't touch any focusrite preamp for that amount.
+1

I own both. but I still prefer for some things the LA2A.

I like the RNC on more "home-y" productions, where it can be less "flawless" sounding, and I like the trakmaster for heavier compression use.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

mdavenue
audio school graduate

Post by mdavenue » Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am

no doubt about the LA2A. But those things are, what upwards of $2500?

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri May 09, 2008 4:21 pm

minorleagues wrote:You know, I'm really impressed with my new LA610. I had a M610 for some time, but the compressor is really useful. It works great on giving that all import "warmth" to vocals and is also an amazing bass DI.

+1 from me on this box - love it for many vocals (not all, but fortunately mine work great through it!), it is a fantastic bass DI, and I like it for clean guitar too - sometimes direct, with a little delay. Wurly and Rhodes sound great with this preamequalicompressifier as well.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 10, 2008 5:03 am

mdavenue wrote:no doubt about the LA2A. But those things are, what upwards of $2500?
Yes.

But, you get what you pay for.

As an example, I was recently recording electric bass guitar. And old 1958 Fender Precision, to be exact.

I ran it DI, to the LA2A to a PTHD.

The bass player asked why I put the LA2A "It's for vocals, no?"

Then I bypassed the LA2A. "Hey where'd my fatness go?"

AHA!

the bass did not exert the LA2A more than 3 dB gain reduction. It was more of a "Honey I'm hooooome" bass, than a plunky bass sound.

WAY fatter, without having to do much work. NO EQ NEEDED.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dijon
audio school

Post by dijon » Sun May 11, 2008 8:33 am

In the meantime - I could suggest the Art Pro VLA - I know, I know...Art! but seriously, they're blowing these version 1 models (v2 is just out) out for $199 and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like a lot more money on a pretty wide array of signals.

If you're saving for something super sweet, I would suggest this as a decent intermediary. Even after you get the distressor or the chandler, I guarantee you'll still find uses for this thing.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun May 11, 2008 9:51 am

actually the VLA is a good option for a first compressor - it won't blow you away but it is really hard to screw up and sounds decent on a lot of sources. plus being 2 channels you can run them in series and experiment with different ways of compressing. AND when you want something down the line that has a bit more of a SOUND you'll probably still keep it and find uses for it as a more basic utility comp. mine lives on guitar buss now.
the new rules : there are no rules

pootkao
gettin' sounds

Post by pootkao » Sun May 11, 2008 1:36 pm

I've been quite curious about the ADL stuff myself.
I like a lot of colour, and love those guys' work, and like the price.

Any other ADL users around here with input?
"I choose not the suffocating anaesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the capital, that is my choice." (Virginia Woolf)