really really cheap monitors/speakers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 07, 2008 6:48 am

fossiltooth wrote: I guess they can help you get mixes that are pretty damn scooped around 400hz
holy shit yes. you make something sound nice on the 2020s and you're all happy, then you listen to it anywhere else and there is NO BEEF whatsoever. so frustrating. mine are currently serving as the speakers for the living room stereo and they aren't even good at that.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed May 07, 2008 6:52 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
fossiltooth wrote: I guess they can help you get mixes that are pretty damn scooped around 400hz
holy shit yes. you make something sound nice on the 2020s and you're all happy, then you listen to it anywhere else and there is NO BEEF whatsoever. so frustrating. mine are currently serving as the speakers for the living room stereo and they aren't even good at that.
Ha! I've had more luck with my Event TR-6s... as home stereo speakers, at least.

As soon as I realized they made terrible studio monitors, I took them back to my living room, where they've been kicking ass for casual listening. They have the opposite issue when it comes to mixing.... they're a bit scooped and hyped for sure. More fun to listen to than the 20/20s, but slightly more useless in the studio as well.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Sat May 10, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GREGL
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GREGL » Wed May 07, 2008 7:32 am

Dynaco A-25's are cheap, easy to find, work well with low powered amps and receivers and make excellent monitors.

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Thu May 08, 2008 12:17 pm

thanks for the tips!
and thanks for the heads up on the event monitors. ill stay away.
anything else in the way of monitors-proper in my price range used thats like, decently full range without any weird EQ curves?

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Thu May 08, 2008 12:38 pm

anyone have experience with the KRK ST6 passive monitors? those are in my range and seem to have ok reviews...

Bob Womack
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Womack » Thu May 08, 2008 2:02 pm

fossiltooth wrote:I've always been curious about JBLs older large monitors and bookshelf speakers. They seem to have pumped out a lot of speakers before retreating from studio and home audio to focus more on live sound and car stereos. Anyone have the skinny on their old product line?

The look of some of those older JBLs will always remind me of the opening sequence of "Back To The Future"...
Well, the place to look for info on JBLs is the Lansing Heritage Society and their forum. The site has info on virtually every JBL product before 1995. Those monitors are very much in demand for use in home systems these days. The folks in the forum buy them off Craigslist and rehabilitate them out of love for the sounds of large speaker cones moving. And frankly, you haven't heard music until you've heard in on a well-tuned set of large-format studio monitors.

Bob :D
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Thu May 08, 2008 4:01 pm

PeterSawatzky wrote:Look for a pair of Dynaco, Advent, Acoustic Research, some JBL, etc. Any of those would pair well with your Marantz.
+1

I've got Dynaco A25s, Advent loudspeakers, AR tsw210s and a Marantz receiver (forgot the model). I'd rather monitor on any of those (and have plenty of times) than the low-end KRK, M-Audio, Event, etc.

The ARs are my favorite. I'd also look for tannoy PBM 6.5s. You can probably get those for less than $150.

-AE

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Thu May 08, 2008 4:03 pm

aaronburr,

where are you located?

-AE

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 08, 2008 4:16 pm

+1 on the Tannoys.

OMG, I've finally suckered into the whole "+1" thing...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Thu May 08, 2008 4:25 pm

boston, ma. oops, should add that to my profile.

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Thu May 08, 2008 4:28 pm

those tannoy's look interesting. ill definitely check them out!

GodDamn
pluggin' in mics

Post by GodDamn » Thu May 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Bob Womack wrote:And frankly, you haven't heard music until you've heard in on a well-tuned set of large-format studio monitors.
I've heard some outstanding music coming through nothing but a Mackie PA; the best gig of my year so far, infact.....?

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 pm

I know what you mean -- going from the 20/20 bas to my p.c. speakers was a big improvement, especially in the low end. I bought the events when they came out, and they're probably not too bad when used with something else, but as a standard reference, they don't cut it. .
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
aaronburr wrote:anyone know if event 20/20 monitors are any good?
they're terrible. i mean, i mixed on them for years and things turned out alright but it was A LOT of work, and their frequency response is all sorts of wacky.

i would much rather mix on my little $40 sony bookshelf speakers. seriously.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri May 09, 2008 11:44 am

How can you get something even close to even across the spectrum for $100?

Save up for something better.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri May 09, 2008 12:18 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
aaronburr wrote:anyone know if event 20/20 monitors are any good?
they're terrible. i mean, i mixed on them for years and things turned out alright but it was A LOT of work, and their frequency response is all sorts of wacky.

i would much rather mix on my little $40 sony bookshelf speakers. seriously.
Yeah, they're pretty annoying. I guess they can help you get mixes that are pretty damn scooped around 400hz, if that area's ever been a problem for you. They have a really ugly, forward, lower midrange and an annoying top, with plenty of resonances throughout. Not useless... just not fun.
+1
My mixes did not travel well on 20/20's. Not at all.
Prog out with your cog out.