Vocal mic like Milab VIP-50

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Vocal mic like Milab VIP-50

Post by GetHimEatHim » Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 am

Like many singers in indie rock bands, I have a decidedly so-so voice; gets the job done just fine, but nothing spectacular, and isn't always flattered by the cheapo equipment I have at home. We tracked vocals for our last record at Inner Ear in DC, and I was totally bowled over by their Milab VIP-50.... for whatever reason, it took to my voice way way better than any of the other mics in the studio (it totally blew away their Blues and Neumanns, as well as the sm-7b we used on our first record and the Peluso and Soundelux tube mics I've borrowed from friends with better gear). Unfortunately, it seems like those Milab mics are not only hard to come by, but WAY out of my price range as well.

I realize that all mics are different, and from what I understand the Milab is a fairly unique one, but I was wondering if anybody knows off-hand a more affordable mic with a similar sonic character. Thanks!

Gorilla
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Gorilla » Tue May 06, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm not personally familiar with the mic (it's the Michael Jackson one right?), but to play devil's advocate -- are you sure it's the mic and not the room, other stuff in the signal chain, engineer, more flattering monitors, weather outside, flavor of green tea at the studio or vibe of the session?

It sounds like you've worked with a lot of other mics, but I suspect the rest of the setup was different in those cases too.

I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just in my limited experience there's a lot of variables, including, most importantly the performer's performance (perhaps you were kicking ass that day).

Now for the kind of answer you were looking for I think. The Studio Project's C3 is also a dual membrane, multi pattern condenser built on a transformerless design, but in a vastly different housing and approximately 20% of the price. I would not suggest you'll like it as much, only that it shares a few attributes in common with your mic -- much like Prince, Van Halen and myself all own a guitar.
Gorilla

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Tue May 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks! Fair question, for sure.... when we started on vocals, we lined up the VIP-50 against a bunch of other mics and ran them through the same signal chain -- we were all kind of surprised at how much better the VIP-50 sounded on my voice, especially since our engineer threw it into the line-up as something of an afterthought. Could another mic have sounded just as good (or better) through a different preamp? Absolutely. But in my also-limited experience, I feel like I've heard enough different mics on my own voice, and recorded in enough different rooms in enough different situations, to recognize something that works for me -- even if I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what it is or why, necessarily; one of many reasons I'm glad this board is here!

I realize full well that NO mic is going to sound exactly the same as that one did in that room (especially since, uh, I don't have an Avalon 737 at home), but I remember consistently liking the sound of that mic, even as we tried to find the right pre to run it through (and even though -- for sure -- I wasn't kicking ass that day!) I'm not asking for something that will sound exactly the same at 1/5 the price, just looking for some general guidance since there are so many vocal mics out there and, again, my knowledge is fairly limited.

I'll look into the C3....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 06, 2008 8:40 pm

The VIP-50 is a totally weird mic for a number of reasons. It's bizarre grill design, coupled with a rectangular capsule shape make for an oddity alone, but couple that with the pickup patterns and roll-off options and you have a really unique microphone. I've only used it for voice once or twice and it didn't exhibit any particular stand-out characteristics that I can recall well enough to describe or compare to something else, but I have recorded kick drum and guitar amps with it a number of times and I recall it having what seemed like a lot of detail in the extended lower frequencies (if that's possible) and plenty of clarity in the upper register as well. It also kind of seems like a fairly "fast" mic to me, as well. It's just kind of a flattering mic with a semi-flat, but extended character. Not sure what else to compare it to.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 07, 2008 5:23 am

What is your price range?

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Wed May 07, 2008 7:13 am

Hi, Joel!

I could budget about $500 for the right vocal mic.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 am

The PML DC-96 has the same capsule, cardiode only, transformer output. That VIP-50 has no output transformer and has a TI TL071 opamp in it.
The DC-63 is similar to the DC-96 insides but with many patterns.
Save your money.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Wed May 07, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks, Jim -- that sounds promising, for sure. From the perfunctory research I'm doing, it looks like milab is now making something called the dc-96b, which I assume is similar.... I can't seem to find any used, and they sell new for about $1000, but perhaps one will turn up!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 am

I'm assuming your band is Get Him Eat Him, if so I'm a fan! I have both your full lengths, you guys are one of the few bands that throw some weird elements into what I still consider pop music and still enjoy.

The only microphone I know that even looks like the one you used is a cheapo Oktava, I have no idea how it sounds through. Mike Joly does mods to them and might let you demo one.

As far as Chris saying the milib has extended low end, maybe you could try a ribbon microphone on your voice? Unfortunately most are pretty expensive, a used AEA R92 might be within your grasp if you can throw together an extra $100 or so, and you'll probably love it on guitar amplifier and drums.

Or just try to find a bunch of microphone in your price range at a good price, and if they don't work sell them for what you paid and move on to something new (if you are looking for an immediate answer).

Under $500 you could try the AT4033 (also great on bass amplifier and acoustic), the Studio Projects C1 (might be a little bright for you), Groove Tubes MD1A (Joel's favorite microphone, my friend has one as well and it has a great vibe), Heil PR40 or PR30 (similar to the SM7B but with more condenser characteristics, great on amplifiers mixed with a SM57)...there are probably more I just can't think of right now.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Wed May 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Hey, thanks Minorleagues! Get Him Eat Him is, in fact, my band. Really glad you're enjoying the records; you can thank Mr. Joel Hamilton for the ridonkulously nice drum sound on our second one :)

This is all very useful information.... a friend of mine has a couple of those Oktava 219s, I'll borrow one and try it out.

For some reason, I've found that tube mics don't really flatter my voice -- a vast generalization, I know, seeing as I've only tried 3 or 4 of 'em. I'm pretty new to this whole lingo, and I'm not sure what exactly "fast" means, but it does somehow seem accurate to me in describing how the mic sounded; it seemed very full and open frequency-wiser but not all that dimensional, which I actually really liked.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed May 07, 2008 1:35 pm

GetHimEatHim wrote:This is all very useful information.... a friend of mine has a couple of those Oktava 219s, I'll borrow one and try it out.
If you can get your hands on a properly modded 219, and compare it vs. the stock, that would be best (assuming that your friend's 219s aren't modded). The stock 219 has a weird body resonance thing going on that gives it a mid-range "honkyness" which, judging by your description, isn't what you want.

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Fri May 23, 2008 10:16 am

Bumped for an update:

I just got my hands on an AT4033 real cheap, and it is getting the job done very very nicely. I tracked vocals for an acoustic demo with a 4033 into a 12ay7, putting on just a tiny bit o' compression via a Digitech VCS-1, and it is sounding great. Doesn't get muddy when I'm singing at the bottom of my range, and has a nice presence to it when I'm singing a little higher. Doesn't have the depth of the Milab, but for 1/20th of the price, it's definitely usable for what I need.

It's funny, I'm just remembering now that a producer friend of mine with a similar vocal range had suggested the 4033 years and years ago.....

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! Still excited to try out some of these other options, too.....