What do you use for your mic locker?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Fri May 23, 2008 1:11 pm

If you can find one, old card catalogs from a library are great.
You can label what mic is in which drawer on the out side label and will have enough room for mic documentation in the drawer with the mic.
Most mics should fit inside these drawers.

I do not have one but have had this plan for years.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I use the dresser side of my grandfather's old steamer trunk. For rhose that have never seen one a steamer trunk stands on one end, and opens in the middle (like a giant book). One side has a set of drawers and the other has a little closet.

joelkriske
gettin' sounds

Post by joelkriske » Tue May 27, 2008 9:24 am

I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but my ex-girl left a thing that hangs on the closet door that's for shoes... it's plastic, has like 15 pouches, isn't the prettiest thing, but works perfect! I'm sure you could get one from the container store for pretty darn cheap.
so green yr tasting the chlorophyll (fresh breath anyone?)

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 am

just picked up an old vertical row gym-locker at a yard sale for $10. it's about a foot wide, two feet deep, six feet tall, and has 6 small lockable doors.

we're now putting our figurative mic locker inside our literal one, and i couldn't be happier!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue May 27, 2008 9:52 am

vibesof20hz wrote:Im searching for something along the lines of cabinet /cubby solutions that looks good and holds a lot of stuff. The only real things I have been able to find are closet organizers for shoes and stuff like that. Right now we have everything in a rubbermaid cabinet, I think its supposed to be used for garden tools or something. One great solution I saw at the green room in harrisburg PA was a library card cabinet.

thanks
These aren't as cool as old library cases, but they are functional options:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... dy_18.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... tment.html

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue May 27, 2008 10:16 am

I use one of those red tool cabinets you see in auto shops. There's a sliding door on part of it that makes me nervous. It's rubbing up against the guides and I don't want metal shavings clinging to my mic elements.

I'm going to make a wood cabinet soon because I have run out of space and half my mic cases are piled on top of each other right next to it. Plus it would be nice to have the mics lying there for easy access.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 am

What about foam? Is the possibility of disintegrating foam something to worry about? My old 441 has blue foam in the case that looks fine..

For the ribbons I just built, I bought some AT8415 shockmounts and my plan is to leave the shockmounts on and use camera lens cases to store them.

In Chicago, there's a used office supply store somewhere near 4000 north and maybe on Damen or Ashland. They have a huge basement full of shit that would have tons of options. I visited there with a couple, years ago when I was looking for a desk, and I think they snuck off and had sex in some dark corner of that basement. They had just started dating and were gone for just long enough.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 pm

sears wrote:What about foam? Is the possibility of disintegrating foam something to worry about? My old 441 has blue foam in the case that looks fine..
yes, it is something to worry about. Periodically, scrape the foam gently with your fingernail over some white paper to make sure it's not disintegrating. At the first sign, replace it. I've also seen recommendations to put your mics in plastic bags before putting them in their cases so the foam issue is less of a problem. It's a bigger deal on electret condensers where the fixed charge can attract the foam into the mic and gum up the works. It makes an amazing mess when it gets a head start on you.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue May 27, 2008 1:47 pm

a 35 lbs safe that only I have the key to.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 pm

I have a couple foam lined cases that I use. I have no idea where they came from, from my father brought them home about 15 years ago, from where I can't even remember. He asked if I wanted them and I took them. They're sturdy composite cases with an interlocking metal seal, metal corners and sturdy latches, so I lined them with foam. One is filled with mics in their original boxes or carying cases and the other is filled with various cables.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Check your local University Salvage/surplus to get Card Catalogs (the library drawers).
I got one with 12 drawers at Michigan State's surplus, but usually they have ones that are bigger. The gigantic ones tended to go for about or just over $100. I got mine for $35. I don't use it for my mics though.
My wife just likes card catalogs (and libraries in general) so it is not in my studio...it is in the "other" part of the house (but we do have it full of things).

Plus, I only have a handful of mics anyhow so I don't YET have such a need.

Anyhow, there's a tip.

Wire
gettin' sounds

Post by Wire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am

We just wired a studio where the owner had purchased a gun locker/safe for his mics and built it into a wall of the facility. It's safe... it's cool and they may even be fire resistant.

The one he chose also has alot of carpeted shelves i am assuming it was made for or he bought accessories for alot of handguns.
www.livewiresi.com
Cables, Connectors and Craziness

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:01 am

i actually thought of the gun safe idea years ago, but have never bought one. i wonder if mics would survive in a fire in one of those? imagine they are big more sensitive to heat then my old winchester....

i use a 3 drawer file cabinet its about 4' tall, and i lined the drawers with foam.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:21 am

jrsgodfrey wrote:I use a magicians case -- it's all lined w/ velveteen. Cozy. Roscoe likes those Craftsman tool boxes, and I would go that way, too, if I had the room.
I would be scared that you would open the case one day to find out they did a disappearing act. :D

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:32 am

I can't believe how many gun-related suggestions there are in this thread! Coming from the UK, it's really odd to see how commonplace gun-related paraphernalia is in the US.