another casualty of the loudness wars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon May 12, 2008 6:51 am

dwlb wrote:
According to an NME.com story confirmed by a publicist, the "red noise levels" on the master tape for "Gash" were so high that the process of transferring them to disc resulted in the destruction of the equipment manufacturing the record. To add insult to injury, the press was one of the few 10" presses left in the UK. You guys ever think about turning it down just a notch?
Smells like someone wants some punky cred in their promo--"our music is SO LOUD it breaks the machines that make records." Criminy. :roll:
That reminds me of the hokey story last year about Death Cab For Cutie's new album being 'stuck in customs' after being 'seized' which was going to 'delay' its release. Gotta publicize somehow, I guess...

punk
pluggin' in mics

Post by punk » Mon May 12, 2008 7:41 am

yeah that was too stupid... i'm all for creative embellishing but thats just telling fibs.

you cant really damage the cutting head either with too much top end... well you can but generally you run a delay line that would shut it all down if there was too much happening up there to cause damage.

judging purely from the promo photo and having never heard them, my guess would be the machine decided to kill itself rather than press such rubbish.
check out this stupid band im part of.
http://www.bloodduster.com

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue May 13, 2008 6:51 am

judging purely from the promo photo and having never heard them, my guess would be the machine decided to kill itself rather than press such rubbish.
Only imagine when our technology gets to the point it doesnt let us do things! Computer to human "Are you kidding me? Your going back into the chorus again? Seriously, you need to write a bridge!"

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 am

blackdiscoball wrote:
Only imagine when our technology gets to the point it doesnt let us do things! Computer to human "Are you kidding me? Your going back into the chorus again? Seriously, you need to write a bridge!"
"i'm tired of you using me to edit together your stumbling mess of a guitar part, learn to play the song from beginning to end!"
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue May 13, 2008 5:44 pm

thieves wrote: they're just in the shitty business of reviewing records... to compound the problem, they review pretentious indie music, it's hard to even talk about that sometimes without seeming like a douche.
They choose to do that job. I know they're nice people as I know a few people there too. However, they chose the job of reviewing records. It's not a shitty business, it's their business.
So when they review only indie rock bands in a "5th grader with a temper tantrum" or a "look at how clever I am" sort of way, we're supposed to think 'it's okay, they have a shitty job'? Sometimes they're just mean for the sake of being mean.

They've started a trend with other blog sites where reviewers now think it's cool to not only say that you don't like the record, but talk about why you don't like their clothing, their friends, and their reputation.

Ian

[/rant]

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 pm

RefD wrote:it's about what i expect from Pitchfork, actually.
You can say that again.
RefD wrote:"breaking the lathe" should be a posting rank
:D
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

BSigmeth
audio school

Post by BSigmeth » Tue May 13, 2008 10:58 pm

"Louder Than the Who" is something that one can shoot for, but ... the Who never broke any lathes (that I'm aware of), and their records mostly sounded gorgeous. BTW, I know that quote is a live reference ... but, sometimes there's nothing louder than Daltrey's scream in Won't Get Fooled Again (Ah, IMPLIED loudness ... what's better?!!).