what do you think about them?

what have you used them on?

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/casca ... 0HEAD.html

Cheers
The Wolf

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri May 09, 2008 7:51 pm

I had a Fat Head for some time, it's a good deal for the money. They seem to work well on horns and occasionally on guitar, it's not in the same league as a AEA or Royer of course but probably a step up from a Apex or Nady. You can replace the trannys with Cinemag or Lundhal, it's cheaper to do it yourself if you able, and that might improve stuff.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Fri May 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Yeah, they seem to look super nice but its all lipstick and short skirts then eh?

I would hope a fischer price mic would be better than a nady (sorry if anyone likes nady). I have had the worse luck with that garbage, I mean product.

I like my mic's to look like bag ladies, and perform like athletes.

Someone was telling me they were using a Cascade and it was better than a M-Audio Sputnik. Do you think there may be a model close? I did not see any tubed Cascades.

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 am

i use some cascade fatheads from time to time
i use 'em on electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drums, room mic...
a stereo pair work nicely in m-s, too.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sat May 10, 2008 9:43 am

The Fatheads are a perfectly acceptable low-end ribbon mic. They're a great deal for the money, and perform well on some male voices, percussion, horns and guitar amps.

Not too noisy, and look effin' sharp. I just used a pair for a live vocal performance group and they did quite well.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Sat May 10, 2008 11:56 am

Just used one on electric guitar and male lead vocals. I thought both sounded great. They are very responsive to EQ. For the guitar, I rolled off the low end and it sits right in the mix and with the vocals it sounded very natural with a high annoying tenor vocal. In other words, it took off the edge without losing detail.

I dig it and will probably get another.

But then again, I think great records can be made with SM 57's.

Bye, Chuck

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat May 10, 2008 12:21 pm

I've had a Fat Head for a little over a year. I like it best for guitar cabs, but it is also good on acoustic guitar if paired with a condenser of some sort. I did not like it much for vocals, but it sounds good for spoken word or radio stuff. I also tried and liked it as a room mic.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat May 10, 2008 1:56 pm

The Cascade Fathead was my first ribbon mic and I loved it. I mostly used it for acoustic guitar. Beware of the weird mic stand connector that it comes with though.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Sat May 10, 2008 2:12 pm

What do you mean exactly about the weird mic stand?

Thanks for all the responses I do believe I will get a stereo pair.

What do you think about them compared to an sm7?
Its not a ribbon mic but I have most experience with it, kinda.

Thanks for the input

The Wolf

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sat May 10, 2008 2:58 pm

Re the weird "mic stand connector" aka shock mount aka "microphone tops" (thanks, A Mighty Wind!):

The shockmounts are a little flimsy, but perfectly serviceable. The rubber bands tend to pop off when you are inserting the mic, but this is easily fixed with a black ziptie around the inside collar.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sat May 10, 2008 8:40 pm

minorleagues wrote:I had a Fat Head for some time, it's a good deal for the money. They seem to work well on horns and occasionally on guitar, it's not in the same league as a AEA or Royer of course but probably a step up from a Apex or Nady. You can replace the trannys with Cinemag or Lundhal, it's cheaper to do it yourself if you able, and that might improve stuff.
I bought that Fathead off minorleagues! My favorite guitar amp mic. Sounds better on my Fender Princeton than anything else I've tried (that said, it's the only ribbon I've owned). Recently doubled a LDC vocal track with it, which blended really well. Really shines with lots of gain.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 pm

And with a new transformer, better clarity too!!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun May 11, 2008 5:26 am

The SM7 doesn't have the low end response that a ribbon does, but I love one on rock vocals, bass, occasionally electric guitar (I'm becoming a fan of a ribbon and LDC over dynamics), kick drum in a pinch...but really it's just a vocal microphone for me. I've never used it on a snare drum or hi-hat, which I heard people use it for.

I'm getting a AEA R92 in the mail in a couple days, I A/B (in my mind) with the Cascade.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Sun May 11, 2008 11:27 am

minorleagues wrote:I'm getting a AEA R92 in the mail in a couple days!

NICE!!

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 pm

I have a Cascade VX20. I got it for free awhile back when I bought a bunch of stuff from Bayview Pro Audio.

Honestly, I don't really use it. Ever. I've tried it on literally everything and I guess I'm just not much of a fan. That being said, it does look REALLY cool and did come with a sweet case.

Now, if it was my only option ... I could definitely make a record with it. It's not terrible or anything, it's just really boring. But so is baseball and look how that turned out. So what do I know?
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.