reed organ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Wed May 14, 2008 1:42 pm

yeah, this was the idea...

http://www.mellotron.com/cleara.htm

but i'll probably want to isolate some of the internal components to make it airtight where it needs to be. it seems like the yamaha's compressor has an air intake that creates a fair amount of noise, but this would be most noticeable on the outside of the case i imagine. don't know yet if it's a 'suck' or 'blow' design (i.e. how does the air actuate the reeds). have to do more exploratory surgery...

thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed May 14, 2008 3:19 pm

I've got a Farfisa chord organ that I like a lot...as for live, hmmmm, that's tough. I've only ever used it in acoustic settings. My thought would be to try a contact mic on the board supporting the reeds, then low-cut to remove some of the rumble from the compressor. Maybe even a piezo element?

For recording, I tend to use a single Kel HM-1 about a foot or two over the instrument, and pretty much always run it through the noise reduction plug in cool edit / adobe audition before using it in a mix. Can usually get ~20dB improvement in s/n ratio before encountering any adverse effects from the NR plug.