Tips on mixing on a 2.1 system

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

virtualsamana
alignin' 24-trk

Tips on mixing on a 2.1 system

Post by virtualsamana » Mon May 12, 2008 9:55 am

I just got a sub because I wasn't hearing all of the lows on my monitors 5" woofers. Does anyone have any advice on how they incorporated a sub into their mixing environment and suggestions, avoiding pitfalls, etc.

Bob Womack
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Womack » Mon May 12, 2008 4:25 pm

HERE is an article by acoustician Bob Hodas on considerations for use of subwoofers in a monitor system.

And here is an example in a home system...

Enjoy!

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon May 19, 2008 9:47 am

If you can switch the sub on and off than you can just pop it in when you want to check the bottom end or impress clients and leave it out to mix as usual on your near fields.

Other than using music with a solid bottom end that you are familiar with, I would suggest dialing it in using a tone generator of some sort. If you are in daw land, you can download the MDA signal generator for free. Set it to sweep from 20 hz to say 250 or 500 hz and listen to the bass tones volume level as it moves from your sub to your small speakers and back. Using that you can adjust your crossover and volume on the sub so it matches well with your nearfields. You want a smooth transition without obvious peaks or nulls. Of course, without some bass trapping/acoustic treatment that may be difficult. Sub placement will also affect this greatly.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.