Portico 5012 vs. Vintech 72

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Which pre is the most versatile Mic Pre?

Vintech 72
No votes
Portico 5012
57%
FMR RNP
43%

Total votes: 7

buttonjaw
audio school

Portico 5012 vs. Vintech 72

Post by buttonjaw » Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 pm

ok- so I'm updating my current signal chain. I currently run a couple AKG condensers thru a TC Electronic Gold Channel SPDIF'ed thru my MOTU box to my mac running DP. Just got a Universal Audio 2-1176 limiter and am now looking to purchase a dual mic pre and have narrowed it down to the Portico 5012 and the Vintech 72. Has any worked with both of these pres? I'm recording acoustic/electric gtrs, vox and a grand piano. I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Scott Macdonald
buttonjaw studios
Portland, OR

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon May 12, 2008 10:18 pm

I believe the majority of people are going to tell you the Vintech Dual 72 is a very dark, muddy preamp that is good for somethings but it's not very versatile, more of a character piece.

I've haven't done much reading about the Portico, sorry.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 am

The vintech isnt dark and muddy. I still have one. I use the DI's on it sometimes for stereo keyboards, but otherwise it doesnt get used very much. I also have a brent averill 1272 (the old ones, built to fit actual 1272 slots) that I still use sometimes.
I have a vintage neve console with 33 channels of great mic pre, and the averill gets used still on certain things. the vintech is pretty cool, though. better than people would have you think. I did plenty of records where the vintech was the only pre I used for all the electric guitars, and the vocals, and I still like the way those records sound.

It is funny that people will get some idea about a certain pre, and then run with that idea without ever hearing the pre (not an attack on you, minorleagues). People also will buy something like the "nice pair" type of pre just because it doesnt say vintech on it it must be more boutique and obscure and "cooler." Vintech was an obscure, small company for many years. that is when we got our 1272's from them, and they still work quite well to this day.
IMHO, if you can get a good deal on either the portico or the vintech, it will be a worthy addition to a collection that should grow over time, no matter what you choose this time.

The portico, however, would probably be a better all around mic pre than the vintech for you. they are quite nice. Very open and "fast" and all of that stuff people like to cheer about on message boards.. ;)

Get both !

The RNP seems to be something people like. I have never tried one. the "RN[x]" series of stuff just has not ever connected with me, in any way.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue May 13, 2008 8:48 am

No offense taken Joel, I was just relaying what I've heard dozens of times from different sources. None of those have really turned me off the Vintech, I probably pick one up but others (including yourself) have turned me into different directions.

Sometimes the Vintech 273 can be had a very reasonable price on eBay, and the 1073 preamp models are suppose to be a little more flexible and the EQ might be a nice feature.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

danno2
audio school graduate

Post by danno2 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:47 am

I've had the portico about 2 + 1/2 years and also use API's. The portico has the "silk" option which gives you some extra options tone wise. With it off you get a cleaner, more "modern sound"-if you will- and with it on more of the Neve round/thickness. You'll get rounder bass and slightly less top end and some of that thwacky, compression-y sound with Silk on. It's a fine preamp and I love it on drums!

I like them both for various things, but honestly the API tends to be my go to, no-brainer preamp.

YMMV

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue May 13, 2008 10:30 am

i have used all 3 and currently own 1. (the 1272 - sold the RNP)

the RNP is solid - it's clean and stacks well but for my ears - no personality. never made me say "wow". just clean.

the 1272 is dark and chunky - thick and meaty. i love it. use it all the time on vocals, electric guitars, kick/snare/toms. sounds more vintage.

the portico is cleaner but still has that nice iron thickness. more top end than the 1272. sounds more modern. more options for tone - portable etc... more $$ though too.

the question is - what kind of tones do you like?
the new rules : there are no rules

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 pm

joninc wrote:i

the question is - what kind of tones do you like?
Exactly. That is ALWAYS the question.
Unless the answer is "the sound of 500 dollars" then I would suggest getting one of these things, trying it for a while. If you hate it in the end, sell it, and chalk up the difference in money to education. Thats the way I have learned about almost every piece of gear I know about/use/own/operate/like/dislike...