which mic should i get to record my accoustic guitar?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jwgeetar
pluggin' in mics

which mic should i get to record my accoustic guitar?

Post by jwgeetar » Wed May 14, 2008 7:59 pm

i am recording a new cd. i am also recording accoustic guitar tracks and sending the tracks to my studio owner buddy, thats putting it together. i need a descent mic that records accoustic guitars. i'm getting by with my Oktava MK319,which i mainly use for vocals.

my buddy says to get an old AT4033 or a Shure SM81---of which he has both. i know they don't make the AT4033 anymore so i was wondering what other choices you guys could throw at me.

i've been getting by for years with assorted vocal mics i use for gigs but my buddy says i'd get a better brighter sound for my accoustic if i bumped it up. well it's time to bump.

Any reccomendations? thanks jw

BTW, I've been a Tapeop-er ever since this magazine mysteriously appeared in my mail one day---years ago. as the BigTuna would say, "And that's a good thing,not a bad thing--but a good thing" :lol:

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 14, 2008 8:53 pm

the AT4040 is a good cardioid LDC and priced reasonably.

works nicely on a variety of instruments and voices, too.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 pm

what's your budget?

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Re: which mic should i get to record my accoustic guitar?

Post by vsr600 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 pm

jwgeetar wrote:i am recording a new cd. i am also recording accoustic guitar tracks and sending the tracks to my studio owner buddy, thats putting it together. i need a descent mic that records accoustic guitars. i'm getting by with my Oktava MK319,which i mainly use for vocals.

my buddy says to get an old AT4033 or a Shure SM81---of which he has both. i know they don't make the AT4033 anymore so i was wondering what other choices you guys could throw at me.

i've been getting by for years with assorted vocal mics i use for gigs but my buddy says i'd get a better brighter sound for my accoustic if i bumped it up. well it's time to bump.

BTW, I've been a Tapeop-er ever since this magazine mysteriously appeared in my mail one day---years ago. as the BigTuna would say, "And that's a good thing,not a bad thing--but a good thing" :lol:
they most certainly do still make the 4033: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... index.html
and I recommend it too for acoustic. I love mine on acoustic even when I have much more expensive mics at my disposal.

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Wed May 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Honestly, just buy an SM57 (or use what you have) and be done with it. Then spend time messing around with mic placement (instead of deciding which mic to buy) until you find the sound you want. And then you'll be smarter than everyone else here (including myself, infact ESPECIALLY MYSELF) and realize, *gasp* it's not about the gear. It's about the dude that uses the gear, and how he uses the gear.

Seriously, I wish somebody had told me that a long time ago.
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu May 15, 2008 7:46 am

What kind of music are you playing? What else is going on in the song?
An acoustic sound that works well on a solo guitar/vocal song may not work in a dense rock mix etc, etc, etc.
For songs where the ac gtr is the feature I've been getting really good results with a cheapo Behringer ECM8000 paired with an LDC (choose your own flavor). For rock stuff where the ac gtr is an accent or meant to sound like part of the drums (70's Rolling Stones style) I use a dynamic mic - Re15, Sm57, 635a, Shure 535.....anything and everything really. I've had really good results with a very cheap Audio Technica dynamic vocal mic. Sadly I can't remember the name at the moment.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to try everything and anything.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 am

My go-to mic for acoustic guitar is an Audio Technica ATM33a. It sounds really great in the "12th fret" area. I move it around to find the sweet spot and it never lets me down.

A lot of people like the Audio Technica Pro37R as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

I also have good luck with dynamics too. Shure SM7a, Beta 58, Sm57, Beyer M88, etc.

Roger

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 pm

what kind of sound do you like and what kind of music are you making?

it's pretty relative - a SDC can be good but can also really lack in the body. lots of high end detail but not as rich as other choices. LDC can often sound amazing when placed right.

do you wanna go more dark and vintage sounding? try dynamics and ribbons.

and sometimes a combination of the above is the thing -

also the guitar you are using? is it really dark sounding? if so - use a brighter mic.

is it a taylor? is it really bright? use a LDC or dynamic (441, sm7, 57) or a ribbon

NO RULES MY FRIEND! try a bunch and see what you like best.
the new rules : there are no rules

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu May 15, 2008 2:34 pm

As mentioned, so much will depend on what you want the end result to be.....everything mentioned here so far is right on, in fact.

That said, I love the SM81 on acoustic guitars, myself. I'm not a huge fan of the 4033, but I do love the AT4047 and 4050 as well in that area.

Something else to look for might be an Oktava MC-012...still in the cheaper condenser arena.

In the woolier, rockier department, the dynamics mentioned above will get it....I especially love the EV 635 and EV666 for that stuff.

In the meantime, try everything you have and see what you can REALLY do with it....never underestimate the change of strings, picks, or the spot in the room you are recording in.

[dt]

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 pm

joninc wrote:NO RULES MY FRIEND! try a bunch and see what you like best.
indeed, my acoustic has never sounded better since i began miking it BBC stylee with a Nady Starpower 3 dynamic i got for nothing.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

jwgeetar
pluggin' in mics

Post by jwgeetar » Thu May 15, 2008 8:38 pm

vsr600 wrote:
jwgeetar wrote:i am recording a new cd. i am also recording accoustic guitar tracks and sending the tracks to my studio owner buddy, thats putting it together. i need a descent mic that records accoustic guitars. i'm getting by with my Oktava MK319,which i mainly use for vocals.

they most certainly do still make the 4033: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... index.html
and I recommend it too for acoustic. I love mine on acoustic even when I have much more expensive mics at my disposal.
thats the cl. the guy here at GC says they were a limited model---what gives? :shock:

jwgeetar
pluggin' in mics

Post by jwgeetar » Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 pm

a lot of good suggestions here. my first mic in 1975 was a SM57 for live vocals. dunno---bout accoustics, but it sure mic'ed my twin reverb good back then.

i do full band and accoustic original stuff aka jimmy buffett'ish. maybe it shouldn't matter but i'm doubling the accoustic tracks to fill out those parts. my producer would like a cleaner, brighter sound on them. after doing some tracks--me to.

Also my main accoustic is a D-35. kinda boomy so i gotta watch where i place the mics. i've done full production stuff in studio's where the studio takes care of the details.

right now (call me mr low budget) i'm doing parts and sending them to him. ahh yea, he can put'em through processors and effects and shit---but it would be nice to send off something with more pizzaz from the git go......

mu budget? round $300---on the top end. thx--jw

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu May 15, 2008 9:47 pm

jwgeetar wrote:
vsr600 wrote:

thats the cl. the guy here at GC says they were a limited model---what gives? :shock:
he probly didn't have one in stock so he pulled that fib outta his ass.

jwgeetar
pluggin' in mics

Post by jwgeetar » Thu May 15, 2008 9:50 pm

RefD wrote:
jwgeetar wrote:
vsr600 wrote:

he probly didn't have one in stock so he pulled that fib outta his ass.
i'm gonna go down there tomorrow and kick his azzzzz.... :twisted:

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu May 15, 2008 10:05 pm

"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna