The best thing I've bought!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu May 15, 2008 12:59 pm

darjama wrote:One of these days I want to create a web site selling speaker cables wrapped with the shroud of Turin.
When the Temple of Solomon is rebuilt as my listening room, I'm counting on you for ChinaCones made from Moses' teeth to keep my components off the ground, holy as it may be. I don't want angel choirs fucking with my 14-18khz.
Last edited by weatherbox on Thu May 15, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Thu May 15, 2008 2:14 pm

weatherbox wrote:
darjama wrote:One of these days I want to create a web site selling speaker cables wrapped with the shroud of Turin.
When the Temple of Solomon is rebuilt as my listening room, I'm counting on you for ChinaCones made from Moses' teeth to keep my components off the ground, holy as it may be. I don't want angle choirs fucking with my 14-18khz.
:rofl:

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu May 15, 2008 4:58 pm

"those of you watching at home grab the back of your tv and FEEL the power of comedy"

-robin williams

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu May 15, 2008 5:16 pm

this is now the perfect thread on this subject.

moderators, please make this a sticky.

cos it sure made me sticky.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri May 16, 2008 10:42 pm

I think this is the same in pro audio when people do tests that aren't blind with converters, clocks and similar sounding(if not identical sounding) mic preamps.

There's no accounting for what people think they hear.
johnny7 wrote:Any audiophiles in the house?...
Oh, come on. Is there really no line between "guy-who-thinks-best-buy's-featured-floorstanders-are-the-end-all-shizzle-of-sound-reproduction" and someone who uses $500 A/C cords?
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sat May 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Am I the only one who is horrified by the high-midrange/low-treble smear caused by the common plastic baggies they put the Brilliant Pebbles in?

I'm thinking of starting a company to sell specially fabricated mylar baggies, (indigo, of course, because that's the equivalent part of the color spectrum that is affected), made by blind Romanian nuns. The manufacturing process will be so super secret that even I won't know it. I'll just have to trust what the nuns' translator tells me when I meet him at the bus station to exchange a briefcase of cash for a shopping bag full of little indigo baggies.

When you hear the vastly increased stereo separation and depth of soundstage you will know that you're so much smarter and more perceptive than any of your friends or family, and they're just calling you an idiot because they're jealous.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat May 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:
When you hear the vastly increased stereo separation and depth of soundstage you will know that you're so much smarter and more perceptive than any of your friends or family, and they're just calling you an idiot because they're jealous.
please, like the people who buy that shit have friends.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 17, 2008 9:34 pm

????? wrote:I think this is the same in pro audio when people do tests that aren't blind with converters, clocks and similar sounding(if not identical sounding) mic preamps.

There's no accounting for what people think they hear.
Oh, come on. Is there really no line between "guy-who-thinks-best-buy's-featured-floorstanders-are-the-end-all-shizzle-of-sound-reproduction" and someone who uses $500 A/C cords?
+1
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 18, 2008 9:06 pm

in my other job I am an IT guy. All the time I get refered to as "the audiophile". Which of course I bristle at. I am a knuckle dragging, sleep deprived, solder-burnt audio engineer dammit!

Not one of these suckers buying $100 power cables.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:20 pm

????? wrote:
Perhaps you are missing the point. The term audiophile has (in some circles) become a pejorative one that refers to the people who make otrageous claims about whatever silly/expensive purchase they make. This website is IMHO poking fun at said "audiophiles". To me, the most hilarious part are the satisfied customer quotes...