Cheapie KRK Rockit5...any opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

j_howell
pushin' record

Cheapie KRK Rockit5...any opinions?

Post by j_howell » Thu May 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Thinking about picking up a pair, 'cause they're really cheap, and I need some affordable monitors. Anybody tried these?
I like pie.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 pm

I have the RP6s and they are very good and translate very well for me. I had Yamahas before, the newer ones, not NS10s and the KRKs are miles ahead IMO. They are smooth but accurate and do not fatigue my ears. They could use a sub if I was doing stuff with more low end, but for the rock that I usually work on, they are perfect.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri May 16, 2008 2:43 pm

The bass was impressive for 5's, though they don't go very low, you get good punch out of everything you need to hear.

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks! I'm picking a pair up. For the price, how bad can they be?
I like pie.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 pm

awful. just awful.

pjwhite
audio school graduate

Post by pjwhite » Fri May 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Electricide wrote:awful. just awful.
Can you elaborate? What was your experience with these?

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Fri May 16, 2008 5:50 pm

These are the first pair of monitors I ever bought. Theyre pretty good as the others said great punch and a good low end.

ScottSchauland
audio school graduate

Post by ScottSchauland » Sat May 17, 2008 7:28 am

I wouldn't recommend trying to mix anything on these. It sounds "wubby"....I don't even know if that's a real word but yeah it sounds like that. 8)

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun May 18, 2008 6:45 am

I have mixed several releases on mine and found that translate well even in my semi-treated room. I would definitely mix using them. They are better than other monitors of comparable price that I've tried. Just trying some at some studio a time or two is not a good indicator as you must get used to all monitors to see how they work for you. I have even used these for some down and dirty mastering that came out great. Of course, I reference my mixes on my old KG4s, in cars, and at other studios. I'm always happy about how stuff translates.

jwgeetar
pluggin' in mics

Post by jwgeetar » Sun May 18, 2008 11:39 am

i went with the 8's cause i got a better deal. also didn't have a low end issue. i do the initial recording and send my stuff off to a studio with better moniters. it's not mission critical for me to mix anyway.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon May 19, 2008 11:51 am

+1 on the RP5... I like 'em just fine. Not bad at all once you get used to them. (esp. for $100 each!!! :shock:)

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Tue May 20, 2008 7:25 am

I bought 5 of them for a cheap surround setup that I could bring on-location. I have a love/hate relationship with these speakers.

The stereo imaging on them is terrible - there is really bad smear between the tweeter and woofer and even in my set of 5, I can't find two that match well enough frequency-response-wise to give me a clear image and good panning for all frequencies. I don't enjoy listening to music on them at all.

That being said, they do sound "wubby" (that's a great adjective - thanks Scott!) and if I can get the mix to work on these speakers, it seems to work pretty much anywhere, although I do tend to make things a bit over-bright when I am mixing on them.

I would not trust them alone though - you should have either a decent pair of monitors or a really good set of headphones for reference.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue May 20, 2008 8:13 am

I had an opposite experience with the high end with my RP6s. Until I got used to them, I was coming out with mixes that were too dark or lacked high end. Could have been the room or just an example or the subjective nature of our art.

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Tue May 20, 2008 9:22 am

I keep the tweeter control flat on these things - could be you had yours cranked up a bit? They may also use a different crossover in the 6" model, which would probably make a world of difference. I never AB'ed the two so I can only speculate.

Otherwise, it's probably just me being used to monitors with a clearer high-end than these deliver.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 am

locosoundman wrote:I keep the tweeter control flat on these things - could be you had yours cranked up a bit? They may also use a different crossover in the 6" model, which would probably make a world of difference. I never AB'ed the two so I can only speculate.

Otherwise, it's probably just me being used to monitors with a clearer high-end than these deliver.
My experience is similar. I think the high end on the RP5's is not as pronounced as on several of my hi-fi/mid-fi speakers. I have some Minimus 7's, a pair of Acoustic Research TSW-210's, and a pair of Advent Legacies, and each of them have a more pronounced, "crispier" high end. The RP-5's seem to be a bit, um, "silkier" in the highs. Is that a good description? I feel like I need to crank the volume on the woofer way down to balance them out. But it does ultimately feel fairly balanced to me.