Best money you can spend on your basement studio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Re: Best money you can spend on your basement studio?

Post by Nate Dort » Sun May 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Check your local paint store, they'll probably be able to special order something for you. If not, you may be able to buy it online, though I'm not sure of the shipping restrictions on chemicals of that nature.

I would check the directions to see if they recommend spraying it on both sides of the fabric or not. That will tell you if you should do it before or after installation.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 am

I love going to the fabric store for burlap (i get the black stuff) and scaring all the normals..

sethmeister
pluggin' in mics

Re: Best money you can spend on your basement studio?

Post by sethmeister » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 pm

roygbiv wrote: for the life of me I can't find "Fire Retardant Spray" anywhere - where do you guys buy it?
http://www.natfire.com/flamex_pf.html

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 pm

One thing I feel compelled to comment on is that burlap has a bit of a nasty odor to it. The odor should wear off over time, but personally, I think the stuff reeks and know that some folks have a bit of a reaction to it, with all the fibers floating about and whatnot. You might consider some kind of cotton fabric, which also opens the door for a variety of colors and patterns.

Just a thought.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Ryan Wasoba
ass engineer

Post by Ryan Wasoba » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:23 pm

I'd like to expand on somebody else's quesiton a few posts ago on here. I'm looking for the ultratouch cotton as well, but i can't seem to find any in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Is there anywhere you can order online?
http://birdcloudrecording.tumblr.com <-- stu stu studio. oh oh.

Glide
audio school graduate

Post by Glide » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I used Muslin to cover my 703 panels for the ceiling.
I also built a 8ft by 6 ft cloud using 1by's in pine and then painted them black.
I'm now in the process of covering the bass traps and wall absorption. Muslin did great for the ceiling panels and it is extremely, extremely inexpensive.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 pm

I'd like to expand on somebody else's quesiton a few posts ago on here. I'm looking for the ultratouch cotton as well, but i can't seem to find any in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Is there anywhere you can order online?n
What's up Wasoba? In STL you can get the Ultratouch from this guy:

http://www.sensiblesoundsolutions.com/

John John