What Did You Work On Today? 5-18-08

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm

i recorded a toy piano - of course with proper toy piano mic'ing techniques!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:43 pm

I recorded this girl's songwriting demo, solo piano, for a decent quantity of quality imported beer. It required no more than putting two c451s up in ORTF, on a 45 degree angle between the hammers and the soundboard, hitting record, and going back into the office to finish my work.

After she went back into the control room to bounce & burn a copy for herself, she walked back to the office where I sat over my hakko setup & desk working on some preamp, and other crap, she said "why does the piano sound more full-bodied than usual? I like it!", I responded with "because you did your last record with *** *** and recorded this with me."

I've never felt like such an egotistic, narcissistic prick in all my life for that remark, but she found it funny. I still cringe, wondering why I said that. The coworker I was speaking of has always been a vocal critic of my recording practices and general demeanor, so this was a real "yes!" moment for me.

The beer was great. I have been driving myself crazy with multiple repair projects this week, for various pieces of PA gear, so that was just the ticket.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York