What Did You Work On Today? 5-18-08

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon May 19, 2008 3:44 am

Finished up a college research paper and take home midterm and caught up on some homework I didn't get to do last weekend because of some drum overdub and piano sessions.

Got drunk.

Went to work. Had interesting conversation with cute, kind girl.

Recorded rock band with people from 46 and over.

The drummer was the only one with his shit together. One guy kept hitting his strings on the bass pickup and everyone was too drunk to notice, until I pointed it out. He kept doing it. After 40 minutes of trying to get him to stop doing that, of giving him another bass, I gave up.

I'd pull a mixerman bass switcheroo if I were getting enough money from the project to care.. but they're just a drunk old band who play out occasionally who want a cd to give out at the end of shows, nothing for an album or legitimate release, so if they want to play like shit and not rehearse.. that's what the end product will sound like.

The song didn't come out that bad, but it took a few hours overall because of the total lack of rehearsal and constant bickering, which I usually expect from a band less than half their age. Usually when I have this bunch all in the same room, they're pretty productive before they're too drunk to be so. But the whole band arguing and not being rehearsed is the asinine stuff I expect from the exact opposite of this band.. a band that is young, that doesn't play out, etc.

met a cute girl was the highlight, with getting drunk a close second.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon May 19, 2008 6:21 am

mixed till 2:30am. went to bed.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon May 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Started back at Punk Rock Night after a three-week hiatus... live sound for shitty punk bands, but it pays (a little) and I drink for free, so bonus...

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 19, 2008 2:48 pm

Saturday, woke up, weeded and watered garden..fuckin slugs munched on my green beans..

2:00-9:00 ate veggie dogs and drank fruity vodka drinks, Tecate, and IPA at a BBQ.

10:00 - ??? drank bottle of wine and some more beer...

Sunday, went sunglasses shopping, then to home depot to get some nice looking metal fencing to keep the fucking dogs out of the garden.. forgot to get organic slug bait.. doh..

Drank 5- 24oz cans of rainier and a half a bottle of wine. pulled a few orange juice cans out of the recycle bin, cut them down to an 2 inches high, inserted into garden flush with soil level and filled with beer, gonna get those fucking slugs....

This was the first nice/summer like weekend in Seattle in a way.. so being in the studio was NOT an option.

next weekend i'll be pulling out some of the patchbays and moving shit around in the rack, soldering, and other NOT FUN STUFF...

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon May 19, 2008 3:03 pm

A dance concert consumed my weekend. Thankfully I actually got paid for it (unusual for dance concerts!).
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon May 19, 2008 3:18 pm

We played a show with a couple of great bands from Athens, GA. Quiet Hooves and Dark Meat. What a great time! Quiet Hooves are a little hard to explain. Almost like TMBG + Beach Boys + Bowie, all with a little E6 seasoning. That's probably a shitty explanation. But, they were great.
Dark Meat was fucking insane. Loud and raunchy and fun as hell! Two drummers, bass, two guitars, keys, two violins, and a half dozen or more strong horn section. They put on a hell of a show. Sound great, too!

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm

caffiend2049 wrote:Tracked some guitar overdubs that might actually make it to the record.
department.

Took an extended break to grill some steaks and go see Iron Man

How was Iron Man. I have been dying to see that since I first saw the trailer a year ago.

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Church gig in the morning

Recorded Bach b-Minor mass with choir and orchestra in the evening - good performance
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 19, 2008 10:01 pm

morning: slept in

afternoon: various shopping and at the end accidentally backed into a 2007 Grand Marquis driven by a retired surgeon...OOPS! (it was just a light scratch on his bumper and he said to not worry about it, so we all shook hands and drove off. *WHEW*)

evening: unplugged a constipated toddler and then spent an hour with her in the music room with me making spaceship noises over a beatbox using guitar+pedalboard while she danced and made up lyrics...i wish i'd recorded it!

all damned day: coped with respiratory infections i and my wife and two little kids are currently fighting by being Dr. Daddy.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue May 20, 2008 5:54 am

on the 18th i ordered a new speaker (weber silver bell) for my 1x12 cab. happy birthday to me.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Tue May 20, 2008 6:10 am

I moved into anew apartment to intern at Anderson Audio in Harrisburg PA. I was the last person to show up and claim a room, so I got the one sized like a closet. I wonder where my clothes went among all the boxes and bags of stuff... I have my mic locker and basses though, so at least I have what I need... :)

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu May 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Well, the 18th of May is my birthday, of course, and oddly enough, TWO different people wanted me to record their concerts! So... broke someone's heart, what else is new?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu May 22, 2008 7:43 pm

joelpatterson wrote:Well, the 18th of May is my birthday, of course, and oddly enough, TWO different people wanted me to record their concerts! So... broke someone's heart, what else is new?
belated happy birthday!

go put some clothes on!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri May 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Oh, I just made that up... :oops:

(Honestly... I do have to hand it to you people... I use the word advisedly... who've managed to upload these fancy avatars... every time I try even the simplest thing it tells me the URL is not valid.)
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Sun May 25, 2008 2:33 am

I did this sound gig for a recital held by a dance school. An engineer who had a session at our studio pawned it off on me. I did it reluctantly as a favor. It was long and awful and paid little. That was the second time I said I'd never do a live sound gig again afterwards.