Recording Vinyl on M-audio Firewire 410

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeffrey C
audio school

Post by Jeffrey C » Tue May 20, 2008 7:22 pm

I have been doing a bit of research about this audio interface and feel that it may be a good fit for my budget and needs.

I have been told that I can use this to rip vinyl as well. There are no rca inputs - would I need some sort of rca to 1/4" adapter?

I know that the Edirol FA-66 has phono inputs and am wondering if this would be more suitable.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 pm

A pre-amp is not always a phono pre-amp unless it is capable of reproducing the RIAA curve, then it is a phono pre-amp.

Jeffrey C
audio school

Re: Recording Vinyl on M-audio Firewire 410

Post by Jeffrey C » Sat May 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. What I have been told, is that with a properly preamped signal one can record the left and right channel on separate tracks using the Firewire 410. I am just a little unclear on how this would be done.

frankz
studio intern

Post by frankz » Sat May 31, 2008 2:58 pm

The 410 allows for 2 or stereo ins. I have an inexpensive phono preamp from Radio Shack that has worked fine for years. Turntable outs into phono preamp, phono preamp outs into 410. 410 Firewire into computer.
The left/right - stereo situation is dealt with in your recording software. In Bias Peak you choose stereo in the recording settings, in Digital Performer you can assign the signal to a stereo track. I would think in PT or other DAW's you would just do the same, record to a stereo track.
The 410 has a software mixer that also allows for various routings though I've always just recorded to a stereo track in either DP or Peak.
Don't really want 2 separate mono tracks.
Also, Firewire has to be attached to the 410 before you turn on the computer. Doesn't like being hooked up after the computer is on. The 410 doesn't really have an on/off switch. There's a button on the front that gives it full power once the computer is running and powering the 410 over the firewire line. 410 comes with an external AC power adaptor but it runs fine off the firewire power. The only drag is the blue light near the button that starts blinking after you turn off the computer. You have to unplug the firewire cable to make the light go out. Then remember to plug the firewire back in before you turn on your computer.I got used to it.
I have an external firewire drive daisy chained off the 410 and haven't had any problems so far. Using the 410 with my Mac laptop and it's been reliable.
Floyd has a secret and it's tearing Mayberry apart.

frankz
studio intern

Post by frankz » Sat May 31, 2008 3:06 pm

Slight correction. The 410 has 2 mic/line inputs on the front and 2 line ins on the back so you could you use either set. But you still need a phono preamp between the turntable and the 410.
Floyd has a secret and it's tearing Mayberry apart.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:02 am

Sometimes an interface with mic pres will also have a pair of RCA ins specifically for turntable input; the product ads and manual will tell you if so.

I believe one of the E-mu units has this feature, but no experience with it here.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra