Pro Tools Rant

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 31, 2008 3:43 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:
noeqplease wrote:Actually, recording onto a new track is not a workaround. It is BETTER than bouncing. I have used this method for years. I do not use the bounce feature. Ever.
How do you usually turn dual mono 24-bit wave files (left and right) into stereo interleaved 44.1/16 or MP3 or whatever?

That's why I bounce.
After the new file is done, I export it (not bounce) it into the desired format.

You know, the command is : shift+apple+k. You get a dialogue to select what audio format. Done in faster than realtime too.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:18 am

Aquaman wrote:
Bouncing and recording to a new audio track yield identical waveforms, there is no audio difference between the two methods.
I was once at a three day Digidesign event where they had various seminars. In one of them someone from Digi was discussing the phenomenon of the bounce not sounding as good as things had in playback. He stated that he had been told by some Digi programmers that the math used in summing to a bounce is different than the math used in summing for playback. The suggested workaround was to bus the mix to a new audio track and record it. Apparently, this will sound better.

adam

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 am

Spindrift wrote:
Aquaman wrote:
Bouncing and recording to a new audio track yield identical waveforms, there is no audio difference between the two methods.
I was once at a three day Digidesign event where they had various seminars. In one of them someone from Digi was discussing the phenomenon of the bounce not sounding as good as things had in playback. He stated that he had been told by some Digi programmers that the math used in summing to a bounce is different than the math used in summing for playback. The suggested workaround was to bus the mix to a new audio track and record it. Apparently, this will sound better.

adam
If the cpu usage is really high in the session, the rumor is that automation and MIDI will not be as accurate when using bounce to disk.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 am

Spindrift wrote:
Aquaman wrote:

adam
I can confirm this. I was told the same thing by both a Digi tech guy, and a good friend of mine who makes big records.

Cheers

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:10 am

Well, huh.
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 am

I can confirm this. I was told the same thing by both a Digi tech guy, and a good friend of mine who makes big records.
My direct experience (inspired by many, many similar discussions) is that this is not true. I've bounced and bussed mixes on LE and HD systems, and compared the resulting waveforms. They cancel absolutely on a phase flip. This is also Digi's official position (citation needed).

If someone has DIRECT experience with this not being the case, I'd love to hear about it. No hearsay, please.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Just perfomed the bounce comparison on PTLE 7.3.1 and I couldn't detect a difference between bounce to disk and recording to a new track. This was a fairly full mix with drums, bass, acoustics and electrics, vocals and keys.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 am

GooberNumber9 wrote:Just perfomed the bounce comparison on PTLE 7.3.1 and I couldn't detect a difference between bounce to disk and recording to a new track. This was a fairly full mix with drums, bass, acoustics and electrics, vocals and keys.
Sorry... we're talking about their TDM system. This one does do the math differently.

On the Le system it is the same.

I will be purchasing a TDM HD system in the next month or so, and will be keeping my LE system around.

I'll do some tests. And then post them. Promise. oh, and NOT on Myspace, nor mp3 resolution. At CD resolution.

Cheers

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:52 pm

noeqplease wrote:Sorry... we're talking about their TDM system. This one does do the math differently.

On the Le system it is the same.
Aha! This might explain conflicting information posted in another thread.