where to buy software?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

where to buy software?

Post by theBaldfather » Tue May 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Does anyone have favorite tactics for getting good deals on legit software (beside academic discount)? I'm needing to get a second copy of cubase studio 4 for a second computer and I'd really like to avoid paying full price for something I've already paid full price for once. If anyone has advice, I'd be happy to hear it. Or possibly buy your used cubase studio 4 w/dongle. :-). Thanks!
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

chris harris
speech impediment

Re: where to buy software?

Post by chris harris » Tue May 20, 2008 11:37 pm

theBaldfather wrote:Does anyone have favorite tactics for getting good deals on legit software (beside academic discount)? I'm needing to get a second copy of cubase studio 4 for a second computer and I'd really like to avoid paying full price for something I've already paid full price for once. If anyone has advice, I'd be happy to hear it. Or possibly buy your used cubase studio 4 w/dongle. :-). Thanks!
are you going to be using both copies at the same time? if so, that kind of makes the fact that you've paid for it once a moot point.

if you need two copies of it, it shouldn't be any different than buying another mic to complete a stereo pair. Just because you paid for one before, doesn't mean that you should get the second one cheaper.

that said, you could just call the sales office for Steinberg and explain that you're purchasing a second license and dongle and see if they'll make you a deal.

or, if you own a competing product (and you might be surprised what would be considered "competition") you might qualify for a "competitive upgrade" or cross-grade.

call steinberg and see what they can do for you. a salesperson is a salesperson. they want to keep you as a customer and sell you more things in the future. see if they can help you out.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue May 20, 2008 11:39 pm

you could also find a legit used copy with a dongle. or, maybe find a deal on a used copy of another program that will get you the good competitive upgrade?

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed May 21, 2008 6:49 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
are you going to be using both copies at the same time? if so, that kind of makes the fact that you've paid for it once a moot point.

if you need two copies of it, it shouldn't be any different than buying another mic to complete a stereo pair. Just because you paid for one before, doesn't mean that you should get the second one cheaper.

that said, you could just call the sales office for Steinberg and explain that you're purchasing a second license and dongle and see if they'll make you a deal.

or, if you own a competing product (and you might be surprised what would be considered "competition") you might qualify for a "competitive upgrade" or cross-grade.

call steinberg and see what they can do for you. a salesperson is a salesperson. they want to keep you as a customer and sell you more things in the future. see if they can help you out.
yeah, I will be using both computers at the same time and it does make sense to pay like a stereo mic pair. It's just that I've noticed everyone has their favorite places to get gear and sometimes they know something I don't :-). thanks for the advice! Anyone else?
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu May 22, 2008 10:42 pm

reaper. buy it once; no dongle, and you can use it on multiple computers. unlimited updates for life, too.

totally unhelpful I'm sure.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Reaper was honestly my plan. I did a project in it, and it's just a little too buggy for high pressure situations yet. I really do like how it works though. I was starting to feel a connection.. :-)

dtrider
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtrider » Fri May 23, 2008 1:44 pm

I have found some great deals on ebay. Retail stores selling stuff cheap and people cleaning closet. There scammers out there for sure though. Just make sure you buy from a legit seller and have the paypal protection.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon May 26, 2008 8:34 am

I would go the used route if you need a second copy. You have to be careful and make sure it's a legit seller, but you can get Cubase SX for a couple hundred dollars and the upgrade to Cubase 4 is $199. So you are talking half price for Cubase 4 - legit just like buying used gear.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 am

theBaldfather wrote:Does anyone have favorite tactics for getting good deals on legit software (beside academic discount)? I'm needing to get a second copy of cubase studio 4 for a second computer and I'd really like to avoid paying full price for something I've already paid full price for once. If anyone has advice, I'd be happy to hear it. Or possibly buy your used cubase studio 4 w/dongle. :-). Thanks!
Are you trying to set up VSt System Link? I've gone down that path and its not all that its cracked-up/advertised to be. While it does provide a nifty protocol for linking the transport control on both boxes, and some midi connectivity, all your audio still has to be routed traditionally.
I still run Cubase SL on my pc, but mainly to host verbs and delays to save cpu cycles on my G5. A big consideration is how well does Studio 4 compensate for latency when using external hardware. If it doesn't, you might be better off saving up for a Receptor or a few UAD cards.
Prog out with your cog out.

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Tue May 27, 2008 10:35 am

subatomic pieces wrote:or, if you own a competing product (and you might be surprised what would be considered "competition") you might qualify for a "competitive upgrade" or cross-grade.
I would love to hear more about this. I'm currently using Acid Pro 6, and I would love to be using the new Ableton Live instead. Is this the kind of thing that might warrant a "competitive upgrade" discount? If so, how would I work that out?

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 am

theBaldfather wrote:Reaper was honestly my plan. I did a project in it, and it's just a little too buggy for high pressure situations yet. I really do like how it works though. I was starting to feel a connection.. :-)
Seriously, just get Reaper now. I have used Logic, Cubase, Sonar, Traktion, what have you, and I've switched to Reaper because it's so much more intuitive, you spend less time clicking like a maniac, and it's fast as hell. The current version is not buggy at all, and there's a few decent looking skins that you can choose from.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Fri May 30, 2008 12:14 pm

metanoiastudios wrote:
theBaldfather wrote:Reaper was honestly my plan. I did a project in it, and it's just a little too buggy for high pressure situations yet. I really do like how it works though. I was starting to feel a connection.. :-)
Seriously, just get Reaper now. I have used Logic, Cubase, Sonar, Traktion, what have you, and I've switched to Reaper because it's so much more intuitive, you spend less time clicking like a maniac, and it's fast as hell. The current version is not buggy at all, and there's a few decent looking skins that you can choose from.
PC version though, right? What I/O interface are you using?
lfg

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:23 am

FBH wrote:I would love to hear more about this. I'm currently using Acid Pro 6, and I would love to be using the new Ableton Live instead.
Just go to Ableton's site, the part where they sell Live. If there are crossgrade deals, you'll see it in the price list. Good to get on their e-mail list too, sometimes there are promotions.

Many DAW makers do crossgrades, I got Sonar 7 by crossgrading from Live 6.

----
Re the original question: One other option would be to upgrade from Cubase LE, if you got a freebie of LE with any of your other hardware/software. I think it was $199 when I did it. Check Steinberg's online store.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra