Why do people call you to record their product?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Why do people call you to record their product?

Good engineering
6
40%
Good gear
1
7%
Good price
1
7%
Good vibe
7
47%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 23, 2008 1:05 am

Because the expensive guys have already fucked up and been fired and now there's no money.

User avatar
fossiltooth
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by fossiltooth » Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm

junkshop wrote:Because the expensive guys have already fucked up and been fired and now there's no money.
Hey I get that one all the time! I love those.

It's taught me that there are some of expensive guys who out there aren't necessarily that great... so much of this business is about appearances.

...or, maybe it's almost about time that we both raised our rates?

rwc
resurrected
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:21 pm
Location: Bed Stuy, Brooklyn

Post by rwc » Fri May 23, 2008 3:32 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
junkshop wrote:Because the expensive guys have already fucked up and been fired and now there's no money.
Hey I get that one all the time! I love those.

It's taught me that there are some of expensive guys who out there aren't necessarily that great... so much of this business is about appearances.

...or, maybe it's almost about time that we both raised our rates?
That happened to me two months ago. Someone was paying something crazy like $90/to record a piano/vocal album for his wedding, and it was ridden with clicks so loud that it was clipping on the final CD. He demanded his money back and spent it on me to record for 1/3 as much money. Had I known he had been to the expensive guy unsuccessfully, I would have charged more. Clearly sharper than the guy who says "I spent $40/hr and fucking hated it.. what's your rate?" He tipped well at the end, which is a clear sign that I'm charging too little.

We should all raise our rates. :D

He's doing duplication through my boss later this year, so all parties get paid and receive a cool product.

That's another thing that I think helps people "become engineers" - making other people money. A studio that has a new client and no engineer available is likely to call you if you bring them regular business and occasionally leave some gear there for them to use, than someone who books time once a year. When you make other people money they have this crazy notion of doing the same for you when the opportunity comes along.

"by default" should be a choice in the poll, for such situations.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Fri May 23, 2008 3:54 pm

cause i'm cheap, laid back, easy to get along with, and I have long hair dirty hair.

oh, and people think I know what i'm doing.. which i do about 75% of the time.. it wouldn't be as much fun if it weren't for the other 25%

This town is saturated.. with really good engineers, much better than me.. i don't know why people come to me actually.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Fri May 23, 2008 7:37 pm

trodden wrote:cause i'm cheap, laid back, easy to get along with, and I have long hair dirty hair.

oh, and people think I know what i'm doing.. which i do about 75% of the time.. it wouldn't be as much fun if it weren't for the other 25%

This town is saturated.. with really good engineers, much better than me.. i don't know why people come to me actually.
the Rainier, the dreads and the rubber lizard!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Fri May 23, 2008 10:17 pm

RefD wrote:
trodden wrote:cause i'm cheap, laid back, easy to get along with, and I have long hair dirty hair.

oh, and people think I know what i'm doing.. which i do about 75% of the time.. it wouldn't be as much fun if it weren't for the other 25%

This town is saturated.. with really good engineers, much better than me.. i don't know why people come to me actually.
the Rainier, the dreads and the rubber lizard!
and PHOTO SYNTH THANKS TO YOU!!!

Image

Stephen (label guy), Me in the middle, and Billy Anderson on the right at soundhouse in seattle.

Image

User avatar
8th_note
buyin' gear
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:58 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA
Contact:

Post by 8th_note » Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 am

You left out the two most common reasons my clients call me; 1) quality of past projects, and 2) referrals by past clients.

Price is definitely a consideration (I charge a modest rate by the song) but I don't have great gear, and the vibe is nothing special. I guess I'd have to say that the main thing is engineering but I sure don't consider myself to be anything special in that department.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kslight and 12 guests