Firewire port question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

Firewire port question

Post by lonesomeaudio » Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 am

I just got my hands on a beautiful A&H System 8 MKII board and I'm trying to get it all synced up with my computer. I just bought an Echo Audiofire 12 and got the latest version of Reaper OSX which I believe will allow me to mix 12 channels at a time. I'm operating off of a Macbook (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB Ram) which only has one firewire port and therein lies my problem.

I need to have my external hard drive and my Audiofire 12 plugged in at the same time through one port on my mac. Is there a possibility to have a multi-tap firewire hub? Are there other possibilities? I know the Macbook isn't the most impressive or efficient but it was the right price. Thank you in advance!!

-Daniel
"That's no moon"

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

Re: Firewire port question

Post by lonesomeaudio » Sat May 24, 2008 9:09 am

Can Reaper record to an external hard drive through USB 2.0? I just thought of that after I sent the post. I'm trying to leave digidesign and remember that products like Reaper were made to work with others better but old habits die hard! Please don't yell at me and tell me I should have done more message board searches, my excuse is that I'm spending all my time boiling my SM 57's. Thanks again.
"That's no moon"

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Sun May 25, 2008 8:36 am

Firewire can be daisychained together. The computer will still see(hopefully) the two devices individually. Most firewire devices have more than one port for this reason.

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

Post by lonesomeaudio » Sun May 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Awesome. I knew you could link different hardware pieces together but I didn't think the hard drive would get recognized. Thanks a lot!
"That's no moon"

RyanNeus
audio school

I know you!

Post by RyanNeus » Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 am

DANIEL!

Dude...we need to hook up and do audio things.

RN

lonesomeaudio
audio school graduate

At last, my love..

Post by lonesomeaudio » Mon May 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Ryan!

I'm going to ride my bike over to your house. Look at your wounds, give you my dissociatives disk, take your silverchair dvd and then we can do audio stuff.

by the by, Hinge got an Icon..I went and saw it and it made me sad because I realized that all the fun is truly gone.
"That's no moon"

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue May 27, 2008 12:46 am

mixedupsteve wrote:Firewire can be daisychained together. The computer will still see(hopefully) the two devices individually. Most firewire devices have more than one port for this reason.
But caution -- if things misbehave in a computer audio system, daisychaining is one possible culprit . . . why, I dunno.

You might touch base with Echo tech support about this (Is daisychaining okay with the Audiofire? Does it matter what's first in the chain?) before making a decision about FW vs. USB external drives.

Is External SATA (eSATA) an option for Mac peeps? In my pc universe, it's faster than usb and firewire if you can live with the short cable length. Just got it so no combat experience yet.

Hope this helps.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:56 pm

You may have issues with daisychaining FW devices - especially if one is hogging the whole bus - like an external drive steaming 30+ tracks.

If it's an older macbook get a pcmcia - FW adapter card.

Or for the newer macbooks just get an express card to fw adapter.

Or use USB 2.0 for hdd. I do this and can stream 25+ tracks with no problems.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Thu May 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Macbooks don't have card slots.