Joel H: "Automation Is The New Reverb"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Joel H: "Automation Is The New Reverb"

Post by fossiltooth » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 am

A guy who's smarter than me once said "Automation is the new reverb". Meaning that it's the new tool that can often be overused and abused by beginners. There's a lot of truth in that. But, I don't know. I spent yesterday listening to a sh*tload of newish Indie records, as I realize I've been consciously avoiding new music for too long...

It kind of sounds like reverb is the new reverb!

Wow. Lots of it. The influence of that PBJ record "Writer's Block" is undeniable on half the stuff coming out now. Have you also noticed that half the singers from Canada who are in Indie bands sound nearly exactly like the guy form Arcade Fire now?

Then again, maybe I'm perpetually behind the times... In my mind, I'm still imagining that all the cool kids are going out to bars and getting laid are wearing slap-bracelets and trading pogs, and marveling at eachother's sneakers that have the pumps built into the tongue... So what do I know?

Anyway, reverb is fun... and apparently there's been a rising cult of Indie musicians devoted to its "abuse". At least for the time being.

I'm just sayin.' That's all. Funny how the world works n' shtuff. I've found that throughout modern pop history, they key is to be just far enough behind the times that you end up coming out ahead-of-the-times when the moons align correctly. It's a surefire way to make people think you're a genius.

It also helps to have a nice smile. Damn. I've got to get my teeth fixed.... I'll try to get some of those newfangled invisi-lines before the next full-moon.

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Mon May 26, 2008 9:33 am

I'm curious which records you were listening to.
I'm always trying to stay up on things in search of new ideas and inspiration.
What were a few of your favorite new indie records production-wise?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: Joel H: "Automation Is The New Reverb"

Post by dynomike » Mon May 26, 2008 10:27 am

fossiltooth wrote:all the cool kids are going out to bars and getting laid are wearing slap-bracelets and trading pogs, and marveling at eachother's sneakers that have the pumps built into the tongue....
This is almost certainly happening.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon May 26, 2008 10:30 am

I think adding 15 million parts to the arrangement that make little sense is the new reverb,
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

noon
ass engineer

Post by noon » Mon May 26, 2008 10:40 am

Takako Minekawa's Roomic Cube had a sense of tapping into the feel of the Fifties and Sixties. Asobi Seksu has this also. I find it refreshing.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 am

fossiltooth wrote: Have you also noticed that half the singers from Canada who are in Indie bands sound nearly exactly like the guy form Arcade Fire now?
Feels like half the new-ish indie bands on the east coast sound exactly like the Arcade Fire, minus all the interesting parts but with OH SO MUCH CHARMING INDIE QUIRK!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon May 26, 2008 11:14 am

weatherbox wrote:
fossiltooth wrote: Have you also noticed that half the singers from Canada who are in Indie bands sound nearly exactly like the guy form Arcade Fire now?
Feels like half the new-ish indie bands on the east coast sound exactly like the Arcade Fire, minus all the interesting parts but with OH SO MUCH CHARMING INDIE QUIRK!
Its easy to just hate music up here. ;)
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Mon May 26, 2008 11:20 am

dynomike wrote:
weatherbox wrote:
Its easy to just hate music up here. ;)
of course lake ontario doesn't really make it "the coast"
trouble clef.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon May 26, 2008 11:25 am

noon wrote:Takako Minekawa's Roomic Cube had a sense of tapping into the feel of the Fifties and Sixties. Asobi Seksu has this also. I find it refreshing.
where can i get takako minekawa's albums?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 26, 2008 12:28 pm

i really liked Asobi Seksu's stuff the first five times i heard it.

and then i suddenly couldn't tell their songs apart anymore!

bad. sign.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

noon
ass engineer

Post by noon » Mon May 26, 2008 1:35 pm

dynomike wrote:
where can i get takako minekawa's albums?
I think most her stuff is out of print.

noon
ass engineer

Post by noon » Mon May 26, 2008 1:46 pm

RefD wrote:i really liked Asobi Seksu's stuff the first five times i heard it.

bad. sign.
When I first got Citrus, I thought they'd lost a bit of the sound of the 2004 release. Over-compressed, or something; wasn't sure. Then I got over it. Now I'm addicted to the feeling.

Love the avatar. You could probably guess I'd say that.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 26, 2008 1:48 pm

noon wrote:
RefD wrote:i really liked Asobi Seksu's stuff the first five times i heard it.

bad. sign.
When I first got Citrus, I thought they'd lost a bit of the sound of the 2004 release. Over-compressed, or something; wasn't sure. Then I got over it. Now I'm addicted to the feeling.

Love the avatar. You could probably guess I'd say that.
aye. :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 26, 2008 1:53 pm

????? wrote:I think adding 15 million parts to the arrangement that make little sense is the new reverb,
+1
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon May 26, 2008 5:17 pm

zachary wrote:
of course lake ontario doesn't really make it "the coast"
There's a lake in Ontario? Boy, what don't you guys have! :wink: