Glyn Johns Method Overheads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Glyn Johns Method Overheads

Post by goldanimals » Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 am

I just came across some money and I'm looking to buy some mics for recording drums using the Glyn Johns Method. Right now I have a 57 for snare and a cheap Samson bass drum mic. I'm sure the 57 will work for snare, but I have a strong feeling the Samson should be replaced. I'm thinking about ribbons for overheads? I have about $1000 to spend on mics. Does anyone have any recomendations? I'm looking for an open Ryan Adams Gold sound like Ethan gets, but without using the million dollar budget and vintage gear.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Wed May 28, 2008 9:34 am

Coles 4038.

it'll change your life.

edit: though you may have to look around to find a used one for $1k.
get up with it

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Buy a pair of the best large diameter condenser mics your budget allows ($500 each) and use either of your other two mics on bass drum (the 57 will work just fine). You can then use them in other applications (voice, guitars, etc.) as well as on drums. Beware of overly-bright mics as they will make your cymbals sound like crap.

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldanimals » Wed May 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks for the advice.

So you recommend LDC's over ribbons?
I have one Rode NT1A that was fairly cheap.

What LDC's do you suggest in the $500 range?

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Nothing against ribbons but if you're just starting to build a mic collection, I think you will find a pair of multipattern condensers (like the AKG 414, Audio Technica 4050, and lots of Chinese-made brands I've never tried) more useful on a wide range of sources. Most ribbons are figure eight pattern (a few like the Beyer M160 are hypercardioid) and since that picks up sources on both sides of the mic it may not be what you need in most situations. Do a search for "affordable LDC" on gearslutz.com and see what people are using.

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 pm

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 pm

from what i understand, the real secret to this method is having a decent room (because youll get a good deal of room in the overheads, which make up a bulk of the sound), a decent drummer (because there is not a whole lot of level manipulation you can do later), and a decent drumset. then mics and preamps. of course this is a devils advocate kind of answer, though...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed May 28, 2008 5:31 pm

goldanimals wrote: What LDC's do you suggest in the $500 range?
I'd go with a pair of Shiny Box ribbons with Lundahl trannies, but as someone else mentioned, if your space sounds like shit (i.e., sounds like a bedroom, basement, or attic), then you're gonna have a bitch of a time getting a decent drum sound with that particular method.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed May 28, 2008 10:26 pm

guys!

don't forget what the professor said about fig 8's and room sound (to my post, actually):

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=40570

they're very close, but fig 8's actually get less of the room!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu May 29, 2008 6:37 am

themagicmanmdt wrote:guys!

don't forget what the professor said about fig 8's and room sound (to my post, actually):

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=40570

they're very close, but fig 8's actually get less of the room!
Actually, I think fig-8s and cardioids have the same distance factor (about 1.7).

But the thing is with OHs the rear lobe might be pointing to the ceiling. If you have a low ceiling and/or no absorption the reflections may be picked up more on the fig-8 as opposed to a cardioid. With the GJ method it won't be a problem with the floor tom side mic (at least not with the ceiling maybe a wall) but might be with the over snr mic.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldanimals » Thu May 29, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks so far for all the advice.

I have the option to track drums in either my bedroom, a basement room, or a massive barn/garage with insanely high ceilings and barely any insulation.

So basically, an LDC would do better for capturing less of the room/barn with the Glyn John's method? I really wanna go GJ with this because Ethan's drum sounds are exactly what I want. I know I don't have the money or the inheritance that he was born with, but I want to strive for that sound. I hate overly compressed pieced together drum sounds like everything on the radio these days. Kills me.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu May 29, 2008 11:29 am

If you're really trying to mimic Ethan Johns I know he used Coles ribbons for OHs. So I suppose for the money I'd try the Shinybox ribbons with the upgraded transformer. I'd also consider a pair of Beyer m160s. They're ribbons but they're hypercardioid. See if you can get the mics from a place that you can return them to. Though I know Shinybox only sells the mics themselves. I don't know their policy.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldanimals » Thu May 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Ok so I'm looking at the Shinybox ribbons with Lundahl transformers. Should I go with with matched pair at $900 or just get two seperate ones for $400 each. I vaguely am aware of the advantages of having a matched pair for drum overheads.

And does anyone else recommend the Shinybox ribbons for Glyn Johns method overheads?

Thanks

Liv Pooleside
ass engineer

Post by Liv Pooleside » Thu May 29, 2008 5:59 pm

I'll have to google the technique, but as for choice of rooms, I would go with the barn, hands down. Small rooms give you so much short delay, it really colors the sound. Can be good, but it's a crap shoot. A big room with plaster walls is death, but a big room with irregular wooden walls and a peaked ceiling sounds like magic to me.
This will prove a brave kingdom to me
Where I shall have my music for nothing

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Thu May 29, 2008 6:42 pm

ummm. a couple ribbons in a barn would be seriously awesome.
if i were you i would put an ambient mic way up in the rafters, too! i wish i had a barn to record in, sigh.