Alesis micro-limiter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kinger
steve albini likes it

Alesis micro-limiter

Post by kinger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:56 pm

I just bought one of these on evilBay for $35, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I thought I'd ask you fine folks for ideas on what to do with it. A search brings up many "squash drum busses into smoking oblivion" comments but I'm wondering what else they might be good for? Ballast? A conversation piece? Velcroing it to your dash and telling your friends it's a European-made radar detector?

Thanks for any insights!

M.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Really cool as a parallel comp on snare and voice.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Parallel Drum bus compression, and not squashed into oblivion.

Bass guitar.

Vocals.

Any kind of bus compression (vocal submixes? Acoustic guitars ? la ELO)

I hope it comes with the 1/8" 9VAC adapter!

Roger

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:27 pm

certain acoustic guitar sounds, pumping piano/EP/pianet...pretty much any tuned percussive instrument, actually.

a low cut in front of it can change its behaviour and plan on a little corrective EQ behind it if hiss bothers you.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Mine is currently keeping dust from settling on the piece of gear beneath it in the rack. Are y'all telling me I should actually plug the beat back in?

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like it might be a little more versatile than I had anticipated. Now if only Canada Customs were a little faster, I could have this and my Alesis Wedge (my other recent purchase) to play with this weekend...

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:28 pm

I have two of them and they get as much use as my LA2a clones. Snare, bass, guitar (acoustic and electric) and voice. I agree with Rodgre, they work great used parallel. One thing to look out for- they can be noisy.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:59 pm

they can be overdriven nicely. The 9vac adapters can be hard to find, but you can pick a replacement up at radio shack. Or do as I do and take $10 in ones down to a flea market. Buy 10 9vac adapters and at least 5 should work.
The Microlimiter I own got used on some famous dudes record when he recorded at Prarie Sun in cotati. Seems Zone music will take gear that consigned to them and scoot it over to their studio at the behest of a client.
Good thing it never sold. I shore was broke in the early 90's though.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm

I absolutely loved mine!

I gave it to a very good friend.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:30 pm

I just received this, and what a fun little box! It sounds pretty good on everything I've tried it on. Between this and my new Wedge, I'm pretty up on (old) Alesis gear right now! Do they have any other gems?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:37 pm

kinger wrote:I just received this, and what a fun little box! It sounds pretty good on everything I've tried it on. Between this and my new Wedge, I'm pretty up on (old) Alesis gear right now! Do they have any other gems?
i like the MIDIVERB II alot, cheap and cheerful and no hashy top (unlike the later Quadraverb stuff).

the choruses and delays sound great, as do most of the shorter 'verbs.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:57 pm

MicroLimiter +1
Wedge +1
MIDIVerb II +10

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:31 pm

the only downside about the MIDIVERB II is it is entirely preset, but they sound quite good and the going price for these is very low...like $50-$75 in perfect condition.

skythemusic
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by skythemusic » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:23 am

I like the microlimiter on samples, especially cheap cymbal samples. Cool in parallel as well. A useful tool.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:39 am

it really is the only cheap compressor/limiter that doesnt sound awful when hit hard. I suppose it matters what you consider useable but I contrast their 3630. If you set it too fast or hit it too hard it makes all these clicks and wheezes.
The micro-enhancer is neat, but havent been able to find one in a while. I use my micro gate all the time.
On the micro series, a lot of them have a gate/trig jack. This can also function as a dry output for some reason.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."