Alesis X2 console

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Alesis X2 console

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:17 pm

From the features this thing has it looks awesome.
24-channel 8-group in-line; linear fader, automated mute, EQ and Aux sends on each channel; 64 sources available at mixdown; direct ADAT connectors; MIDI in/out and onboard sequencer; fully parametric EQ.
(I believe it has 8 Auxes)

Plus it a meterbridge. It looks really cool and has a lot of great features. Has anyone here had any experience with it? People on the web seem to not like it some much though....
Last edited by Brett Siler on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:27 pm

Some pics of it here by the way.........
http://www.odysseyprosound.com/AlesisX2-KR.html

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:09 pm

I saw that also. It looked pretty cool, never heard them though.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 pm

I haven't used one in years, but did some mixing on one for a project back in the ADAT days. I remember thinking the layout and featureset were cool, but that the sound was thin, and the EQs were nothing special. Like I said, it's been a long time. FWIW, I think they were about $10k new, but can be had for under a grand now.

KFledman
ass engineer

Post by KFledman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 pm

the alesis X2 that i worked on was pretty decent sounding. there's a record by an artist "Morley" called Sun Machine [released around '98] that was mixed half on a classic Neve console [not quite an 8078 since it was 16 buss not 24.....but basically an awesome console] and half on the producer's Alesis X2 [though they did rent some hi-end outboard for the Alesis mixes]. I still cannot tell/remember which mixes were done on which console. Now, I'm not saying that an Alesis desk is the equivalent of a classic Neve, but I am saying that in the right hands [ok, ears], you can do pretty well with them.

so, if the price is right, it's a decent board....

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 pm

The ones I've been around have all had problems. They are also getting hard to get parts for.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 am

I sold a couple of those back when they were new and they all had build problems.
Lots of issues that had to be fixed or sent back.
WAY too big for what they really do.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:12 pm

Thats what people seem to say, that they have lots of problems. It's a shame they seem like they have the potential to be really cool.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:33 am

I knew a studio that had an X2 and it was down more than it was running. Lots of power supply problems. I'd stay away. Sound wasn't all that great anyway. He replaced it with a Ghost and that sounded much better. And....it worked

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Alesis is 99% junk.

I've never been inside an Alesis piece of gear and thought "wow, when I design my own *** ****, it's going to be like this."

Stay away.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 pm

????? wrote:Alesis is 99% junk.

I've never been inside an Alesis piece of gear and thought "wow, when I design my own *** ****, it's going to be like this."

Stay away.
not even the microlimiter?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:48 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
????? wrote:Alesis is 99% junk.

Stay away.
not even the microlimiter?
I have not seen inside the microlimiter. If the microlimiter is made with the same attention to bad design as their power amps and "consoles", it belongs in the 99%. if made the opposite, then in the 1%.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:50 pm

I think Alesis stuff can be divided into a couple different "eras". I dont know much about the forces behind the scenes that caused the changes but here goes.
Early Alesis stuff was innovative and cheap. Often hitting price points well below the competition and still sounding good. The microseries effects, quadraverb, HR16 drum machine, ADAT etc. All were stupid cheap and pretty much invented whole product categories. I mean really, MDM? 1/3 rack effects? Cheap digital drum machines?
Middle period Alesis was passable but interesting. The company was no longer interested in innovating, just milking the same markets for revenue. Lots of 2nd generation products. Quadraverb II, ADAT XT, Microverb IV.
Final period Alesis is aftet it was bought out by whatever DJ company owns it now. Lots of me too products.

I think the Quadraverb GT is awesome, I love me my Microlimiter andmy HR16b, and I still use my old Monitor one Actives.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 pm

I have the Alesis Bitrman and that thing is fucking sweet, if you like to mangle sounds. I hear good things about one of their Midiverbs. I have a BLA modded 3630 that is pretty awesome, I don't know if counts since it is modded though....

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:26 am

InvalidInk wrote:I have the Alesis Bitrman and that thing is fucking sweet, if you like to mangle sounds. I hear good things about one of their Midiverbs. I have a BLA modded 3630 that is pretty awesome, I don't know if counts since it is modded though....
Jeez I hate posting so soon after... But I always do.
I used to have a 3630. Un-modded it is one of the worse comps I have ever owned. I wish they still offered the mod at BLA. Since they go for $50 used, with the BLA upgrade I am sure it is decent. I had my 828 BLA-ed and its awesome. There is actual bass and treble coming out of my speakers now. And its much "faster" and snappier than before. Though theSNR is a little worse I'll take it.